Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting suggestions needed for my boot block, please >

Quilting suggestions needed for my boot block, please

Quilting suggestions needed for my boot block, please

Old 07-09-2009, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by kluedesigns
since you can't free motion are you able to use your machine "fancy" stitches with your walking foot?

i'm thinking you might have some decorative stitches that might work well with the boot.
I've got 14 specialty stitches plus 14 utility stitches on my Bernina 1090. I'm pretty sure I can use my walking foot with them. Do you have any specific stitches in mind, Klue? I've been meaning to ask about color of thread, too. What might you suggest? Cream? Variegated? Monofilament? Something else? Thanks.
Old 07-09-2009, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by beachlady
Love the whole quilt too. You should do well in the show.
Thanks! I sure hope so. :-)
Old 07-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Banned

take a pic of the stitch card and post it so we can all see what we can choose from.

i know you want to enter this into a show so i would use a fancy type thread even though its not the best for day to day use.

i'm thinking red for directly on the boot (thats if you plan on quilting right on the boot) you could actually do the boot design by hand and mimic the fancy stitching on cowboy boots.

i'd use something to blend in on the background of the blocks and then for the brown sashing i used a variegated thread maybe red, white, blue.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:14 AM

take a pic of the stitch card and post it so we can all see what we can choose from.

i know you want to enter this into a show so i would use a fancy type thread even though its not the best for day to day use.

i'm thinking red for directly on the boot (thats if you plan on quilting right on the boot) you could actually do the boot design by hand and mimic the fancy stitching on cowboy boots.

i'd use something to blend in on the background of the blocks and then for the brown sashing i used a variegated thread maybe red, white, blue.
Okay Klue, here's the two stitch cards you asked for. Great idea, by the way.

Before I even had a chance to read this late yesterday, I had stopped off at the LQS and bought a spool of Superior variegate - red, white and blue! How funny is that? Just what you had suggested! :wink: You're the greatest, thanks so much!

Attached Thumbnails attachment-17534.jpe   attachment-17536.jpe  
Old 07-10-2009, 12:53 PM
Banned

its so great that you picked up that thread - we have the same tastes and ideas.

i like the look of stitches 23, 26, and 28.

you should make some samples - take some scrap fabric and some thread thats the same weight you'll be using but you don't mind wasting on samples.

play with the stitch length and width you should mark a couple straight lines down the scrap fabric and keep the straight line down the center of the of the foot.

you want to look at how far the stitches swing from the center line - this way you'll know how to lay them down on the quilt when the time is ready.

mark each test run with the stitch number, length, and width that way a few days from now you'll be able to refer back to the exact data that looks best.

of course add whatever other stitches you like the look of to the sample runs - you'd be surprised i've done this and the stitches i like best on my machine were all stitches i thought i wouldn't like.

the next thing we need to discuss is what did you do to applique the boots? is it fusible web and if so what brand.

some fusible web just doesn't look good quilted - you end up with a lot of needle holes that don't close up.

you can make a sample and test it out to see if your fusible web will close up after the needle penetrates it.

also can you do an echo stitch? i'm thinking you might be able to do some echo stitching around the boot. you can still leave the feed dogs up and just do a bunch of pivot around of the quilt.

ok - so thats your homework for the weekend. when is the due date for show submission - if your not sure double check some places want this stuff in way ahead of time.

its a shame you don't live near by cause we could all come over and help you out.

Old 07-12-2009, 08:26 PM

Hi Klue,

Bear with me here, I'm a complete newbie when it comes to machine quilting. All I've ever done really is SITD. Now, when you mention those three decorative stitches, where were you suggesting I use them?

The boots were fused with Pellon, probably a medium weight fusible. What do you mean about testing to see if the fusible "closes up" once it's stitched on? Should I quilt anymore on the boot, more than I already have? All I've done on the boots is go around each section of it with a straight stitch to secure it to the background after I fused it. I used a brown color on most of the boot and black on the sole and heel.

Thanks for the reminder to make some sample sandwiches, much appreciated.

Yes, I can do an echo stitch, did my first on a few months back - and that was my initial thought for what to do around the boots.

I got the quilt sandwich 3/4 of the way pin basted today before I ran out of pins. :( Will get some more on Tuesday.

Submission isn't until close to Sept. 7th, so I do have plenty of time, I hope.

Sometime tomorrow I'll be reformatting my computer, so I'll be offline for a couple of days. I'm on dial up, so getting back up to speed is painfully slow. I will check here tho before I start to see where we're at.

Thanks so much for your help! Much appreciated. :)
Old 07-13-2009, 05:42 AM
Banned

some fusible web doesn't close up when the needle penetrates it so you'll see tons of pin holes every where that you quilted but not to worry pellon is light weight enough that you can quilt thru it.

i would do echo stitching around the boots.

with the stitches make the test first and then you can pick out like 2 that you like for various sections of the quilt.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:44 AM

Thanks Klue,

Glad to know my fusible is okay to stitch on. I'm off to reformat my computer. See you afterwards, in a few days.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

i'll be here when you get back :D
Old 07-16-2009, 07:49 PM

i'll be here when you get back :D
Hi Klue,

I'm back, the reformat went fine. It's getting up to speed with additional program installs, etc. that takes the time.

I expect I won't be working on the boot block until early next week now, but wanted to let you know I was here. Will touch base with you when I'm "back in the saddle" again. :lol: