Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting TV shows

I like E. B., I have met her in person at shows and she is a truly outgoing, friendly person. I can't say the same about some other 'big names' I have talked to at shows.

As for F & P, now that it should be renamed Fons & Fons (daughter Mary and not Liz Porter) I won't watch it anymore. I got tired of hearing her interrupt her mother and then start going "uh, uh, uh". As far as I am concerned they can take it off the air. I didn't realize how much L.P. contributed until I saw the newer series without her. It certainly isn't the quality show it was prior to Liz's retirement.

And although Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts was way too fake for me she did have good guests. Too bad HGTV or DIY can't bring back the same type of program with a better host.

EB used to teach kindergarten! I appreciate her work but can't bear to watch her shows.

Blog Entries
    I do miss Porter, but I have to say I enjoy watching mother and daughter, Mary explains things that a newbie might not know and I like her enthusiasm. I always learn something from all the quilting shows and I watch them all.

I didn't like how there seemed to be a trend of starting out with "it's EASY." As if we couldn't handle anything more challenging! Now I can't find quilt tv shows only online things. Recording them if you have some and replaying at your convenience is a good way around odd timeslots.

I believe if they did the market research they would realize what a large audience of quilters would be ready and waiting.

I'll watch Fons-ie once in awhile, but there's way too much talking in my estimation.

They way Eleanor Burns talks drives me up a wall but I watch her anyway.

very true

I don't like it when they show how to do some technique on their brand new machine, Not all of us have the new machine or even that brand and cannot sew the way they do. I do like Nancy and E. Burns but I don't watch Fons' & Fon's anymore. I met Fon's at the IQS Houston, she was a snob!

Quote Originally Posted by young at heart
    I agree with this comment! (The tone of voice). Some preesenters have a grin plastered from ear to ear for the whole show while they drip sweet honey from their lips! It really is sooooo false and reminds me of some Kindergarten/ pre-school teachers who are trying to be encouraging to inattentive toddlers! Give it to me staight and sensibly - I can understand "plain speak!" We are all well educated adults after all! I also think there is an over use of the adjectives 'darling' and 'cute'. THERE ARE MANY MORE DESCRIPTIVE TERMS FOR THE RESULTS OF OUR CREATIVE GENIUS SURELY!
    I agree! Eleanor Burns is extremely talented but her tone of voice can be really annoying to me.

EB's sugar-coated voice drove me to distraction so much that I have stopped watching her. Nancy Zieman has some rough patches, but she is a good teacher and has interesting guests. Liz Porter was the voice of reason compared to the too-chatty Marianne who had an annoying tendency to overlap Liz much too often, cutting her off at crucial moments of instruction. Marianne's daughter is no substitute for seasoned Liz and the program seems geared now more for newbies. I really miss Kaye Wood's quilting program and also "America Quilts Creatively" with Karen Goode and Sue Hausmann. I enjoy primarily Quilting Arts for innovative ideas and inspiration in contrast to the other traditional quilting shows.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Is it just me, or do other people find that some of the Hosts on quilting TV shows sound like they are talking to a kindergarden class? Just because I am female and interested in traditional crafts does not mean my IQ is in the single digits.
    I must say most of my viewing was some time ago but I just saw one who shall remain nameless and it was the same thing.
    I have also seen Nancy Zeman, she seems to be OK.
    That's what I like. I need simple instruction. I was a first grade teacher most of my teaching years, so maybe I think "in first grade." :lol: Actually I'd like to see and hear any quilting show. I can't get ONE anymore.

What channels are these quilt shows on? I used to watch them in New York when I had dish network, now I'm in Nevada with cox and can't seem to get the channels.

Quote Originally Posted by bizzyquilter
    What channels are these quilt shows on? I used to watch them in New York when I had dish network, now I'm in Nevada with cox and can't seem to get the channels.
    "Quilt In A Day" with Eleanor Burns is on RFDTV.

That is channel 231 on DishNetwork satellite though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by young at heart
    I agree with this comment! (The tone of voice). Some preesenters have a grin plastered from ear to ear for the whole show while they drip sweet honey from their lips! It really is sooooo false and reminds me of some Kindergarten/ pre-school teachers who are trying to be encouraging to inattentive toddlers! Give it to me staight and sensibly - I can understand "plain speak!" We are all well educated adults after all! I also think there is an over use of the adjectives 'darling' and 'cute'. THERE ARE MANY MORE DESCRIPTIVE TERMS FOR THE RESULTS OF OUR CREATIVE GENIUS SURELY!
    Speaking of adjectives, I think the word "fun" is totally overused in so many situations. But this is a fun site.

Elanor Burns started out as Special Education teacher.
    This is why she sounds like she is teaching to children.
    My husband cannot stand to listen to her manner of speech...he knows nothing about the content. He leaves the room. I learned alot form her when I first starting quilting....I was a child. I have mvoed on to more complicated techniques and still feel there is room to grow. I have found, though, that in teaching quilting/sewing to 10-15 year olds, I have to treat them like adults, but give them projects they are interested in.
    D in TX

At least some of you get quilting shows on TV - where I live there are NONE!

I also wish I had some quilting shows to watch here. I was a faithfull follower of Simply Quilts and was devastated when they took that off the air. I don't get Eleanor Burns shows. wish I did. I sure learned a lot from watching Simply Quilts.

I guess I always figure that what they are experts at is quilting, not being a tv host.

I agree the super sweet, slow moving, honey dripping voice is enough to gag a maggot. I stick to You Tube.

At a quilt show I asked Eleanor Burns if she was a school teacher. Can't remember but think she said kindergarten.

Here in Missouri we don't have any quilt shows that
    I'm aware of. I don't think HGTV has had anything since Alex Anderson on simply Quilts. Create channel, 9.4 doesn't have anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeterthanwine
    At least some of you get quilting shows on TV - where I live there are NONE!
    me too. I live in Las Vegas.

Watch most shows online. Have seen so many quilting shows over the years that there is not too much new. But there are times I learn a technique that is different. I learned to quilt by watching Kaye and El on PBS. Love Nancy but my PBS has replaced her with one a syrup dripping from the mouth sewing program. ugh

The one that drives me crazy, i think it is called sewing with marylyn she has that plastic smile but also almost NEVER does any sewing just has each step stuck to a board next to the machine. I wanna see the sewing! jmho

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast