Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: quilting TV shows

I watch several on Saturday mornings. Eleanor Burns is my favorite. Not only do I learn something just about every show, I think she's a hoot and she makes me laugh and it gets me going. I watch Fons and Porter but am not as excited about Mary. But I learn from them too, and I watch Sewing with Nancy. I like her show but if it doesn't have anything to do with quilting, I don't watch. I tape them all, then go through them later to see which ones I want to keep.

I like quilting shows and like that most are presented in a way, for me as a new one to quilting, I can understand. I think most are for beginners. I can relate to your comment because I have been there with workshops at my professional meetings.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts
    Is it just me, or do other people find that some of the Hosts on quilting TV shows sound like they are talking to a kindergarden class? Just because I am female and interested in traditional crafts does not mean my IQ is in the single digits.
    I must say most of my viewing was some time ago but I just saw one who shall remain nameless and it was the same thing.
    I have also seen Nancy Zeman, she seems to be OK.
    If it was Eleanor Burns...she was an elementary school teacher at one time...and it shows! LOL Love her quilts though!

Blog Entries
    Not sure, this may have been just a local program, but Quilting from the Heartland with Charlene Jorgenson was a very informative show...it's not on our PBS station any longer. I do miss it.

I'm beginning to wonder if netflix will have any quilting shows, I know I've found a lot of help on UTube

Although I have a college degree I appreciate the slower pace. What a pity that their "host" skills are not up to their quilting skills. That said, I bear with it to try and learn something even if I do cringe at times. Perhaps it would be wise for these great quilters to do more than one type show. Beginner, mid-range, intermendiate. We would all have a chance to learn.

does anyone know why they all have to be at crazy hours..................

not all people watching are at the same level.

The quilting shows taught me to sew blocks. It was their beginning level that started my learning process.

If you are above their level--don't watch them.

I miss Eleanor Burns' show so much! I used to watch it in the mid-90's and her "You-can-do-this!" attitude was such an inspiration to me as a beginner quilter.

I remember the first time I saw Elenor Burns ( several years ago now) and thought at the time "I am 46, not 4 to 6. Puleeese!" But she has gotten more relaxed and does a better job of delivery. And I think she just chooses to be happy.

Quilting shows all gone from here. I liked to watch them, but since I like quilts that will serve a need, some of the shows got a little far out for me. I'd rather go through Rhonda's tutorials, over and over.

I subscribe to both "QNN tv" and "The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Timms". Both are internet subscriptions and (for me) worth every penny. Just pull up the shows that interest me at any given time. The search features are so helpful, as my interest and skill levels change, I can watch a variety of shows on any and all subjects. I am not affiliated with either show, just a happy customer!

Quote Originally Posted by Maura
    I know what you mean. I notice that EB later shows has her talking less babyish. I think she tends to have that happy voice naturally, but pushes it too much when speaking publicly. She also came from the stage (her classes) to television. She needs to tone it down for the small screen.
    She went and got voice lessons is what I heard and she is a lot better. Jan

Blog Entries
    Patrice, You must live in GA.
    Jeanne

Blog Entries
    I'm actually embarrassed to watch Eleanor Burns when anyone is around. She has made huge contributions to the art of quilting but she is SO sickening sweet that she actually sometimes sounds like... and I mean this with no malice............ like there is something wrong with her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    I love watching quilting shows!

I couldn't help thinking that Eleanor Burns sounds a lot like Michelle Duggar to me, but I am weird that way.
    First time I saw her, my neighbor recorded it for me and when I heard her I told her if I ever acted like that to just shoot me. But I love her stuff. Just saying, no disrespect intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Kappy
    Not sure, this may have been just a local program, but Quilting from the Heartland with Charlene Jorgenson was a very informative show...it's not on our PBS station any longer. I do miss it.
    I used to do hand quilting for her. Have not seen her on TV for a while although her website is still active.

If She who must not be named is Eleanor Burns I recall that she started off as a special Education teacher. I think she learned her 'splainin back then and never changed her technique. As annoying as the style is, she teaches such good techniques and has such good tips that it is worth it.

I generally think that most of them have something new that they can impart, and I realise that they are not really trained teachers or presenters to begin with. They all generally improve with feedback and experience, I enjoy Nancy Zieman the most as she appears gracious to her guests and her audience and has certainly been at it the longest to my experience. Kaye Wood has interesting methods,guests and ideas and I also like Ricky and Alex's show as it is well presented. I also like quilttv.com, america sews.com and sewontv.com for the variety of guests. They are all better than paying heaps of dollars for a lack - lustre teacher to throw a pattern at you and say,"Start sewing".I have had them do this to me - and then be rather 'put out' when I ask them to demonstrate or explain something to me.

Don't mean to be mean, but your tv comes with an on off switch or a channel switcher. Your choice, watch or not watch. There are some very informative shows out there and I enjoy watching most of them. If it starts and I don't like what I am seeing. Off it goes. There is no police out here to say no if you start watching it, you must watch it all. And thats all I have to say about that.

I like EB, she is just naturally a happy person, she can't help her voice/accent. I like her in spite of it.

I really like Nacy Zieman's show, it has been on forever it seems like and she has gone more to quilting now.

I used to like Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson, but now when I watch her with Ricky Tims, she acts like a groupie with a silly smile.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wholeheart Mom
    I love watching quilting shows!

I couldn't help thinking that Eleanor Burns sounds a lot like Michelle Duggar to me, but I am weird that way.
    Eleanors Burns and several others were teachers for young children, and just picked up a habit of speaking that way. I try to ignore the voice and listen to the hints.

Cyn
    Blog Entries
    I watch them all the time. I tape them so I can fast forward if they annoy me or it's something I know.

Blog Entries
    your right on all scores found an old mag with an interview with Nancy and a lrg part of the audinces for sew/craft shows are young and/or beginners I wish there were shows like that when I started making my own cloths in elem.school.I "m glad the young ones have these shows now. :thumbup:

I agree with you on this. I record them to watch, F&P in our area, and I never finish watching them.
    I have taken a class with Eleanor Burns, and she is exactly the same in person. She said she used to teach special ed, so she is used to dealing with difficult learners. The funny part is that in the class everyone loves that EB persona, I found it bit grating after a while, the cute songs, the childish jokes, but the other folks in the class were eating it up. But she also imparted a lot of really good knowledge, so she is a good teacher.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 ... LastLast