Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: quilting TV shows

I sometimes teach computer networking to adults and I have all different levels of knowledge in the class, so my take is I have to assume the lingo and devices being taught are new to the whole class. If someone doesn't get the point in a lesson, I try to take it from another angle.

I would think that much of the same is happening on quilt shows. They have to assume a lack of knowledge in their audience to make sure they are giving useful information for all levels of education, beginner and advanced.

Diane

Quote Originally Posted by galvestonangel
    I like EB, she is just naturally a happy person, she can't help her voice/accent. I like her in spite of it.

I really like Nacy Zieman's show, it has been on forever it seems like and she has gone more to quilting now.

I used to like Simply Quilts with Alex Anderson, but now when I watch her with Ricky Tims, she acts like a groupie with a silly smile.
    If you ever watched Alex Anderson on Simply Quilts you would be aware that she acted like a brainless groupie anytime she had a man, any man, on the program. I am not an Alex Anderson fan! In an earlier post I said she had good guests and in my opinion they carried the show. At times she was actually rude to some guests.

I never heard why they cancelled the show, maybe because she was quite the prima donna?

Longarm

We don,t have any quilting shows on tv here either. Watched Simply Quilts for years and learned a lot from the guests she had on. Wish someone would bring some shows back.

I often can't get on the compuger until night and I fell asleep SO many times listening to those voices on quilting shows/demos. I would tape the shows and then try to watch them. I learned I HAD to watch them by noon or I just didn't have what it took to make it through one. They really are hard to listen to in my book, but I love the information! :)

I DVR them so I can watch them later. I just watch EB and chuckle because she reminds me SO much of a retired fourth grade teacher I worked with! Same chuckling and cheery voice, speaking at the same speed. Everyone loved that retired teacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl
    I think they just have to assume you are a beginner, because it is such a big audience, you can't assume they all are on the same quilting skill level. Some have done it for years, some have yet to quilt, and some are just starting. If they just assume everyone knows basic quilting skills they might lose some of the newbies.
    Gosh, I totally agree with you. The audience has such a wide range of experience that if they talk at too high a level it will discourage beginners. Even experienced quilters can learn something from any show.
    As for Nancy, she drives me crazy by trying to get ea. word just perfect. If she misspeaks, it's "--excuse me.. "then corrects herself. She should just correct her word casually & move on.
    As for Eleanor, I think her persona is supposed to be "country". I love her shows since she actually makes a quilt that isn't far out in space.

Maybe somone could suggest, beginners, betweens and advance quilters or you know how the quilt mags say level 1,2 and 3. When they start to present the show. I was the one who said could you repeat that please we are from different parts of the US and we do not sound a like.

My pet peeve is that the host does not let the guest explain what they are doing with out interrupting.

Quote Originally Posted by Maura
    I know what you mean. I notice that EB later shows has her talking less babyish. I think she tends to have that happy voice naturally, but pushes it too much when speaking publicly. She also came from the stage (her classes) to television. She needs to tone it down for the small screen.
    Whenever I used to turn to her show I skipped it because of the way she speaks but after I watched an entire show, she seemed to know what she was talking about and I started thinking of her as Edith Bunker, kind of lovable.

Blog Entries
    I used to enjoy them, but now I find them too simple and boring. Maybe I'm getting old??

Blog Entries
    When I first starting watching Eleanor Burns, her personality drove me up a wall. After I was able to get past it, I have learned sew much from her. She was here in Tulsa last year (I think) but I couldn't afford to go. Really disappointed. I was able to do a Nancy Zieman retreat a few years ago and she is fabulous. So down to earth and friendly. Very approachable.

Now Sue Houseman....grrrrr. If she would just let her *guests* talk, instead of constantly interrupting then, I might watch her more. As it is, she doesn't give me a chance to learn anything.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa
    When I first starting watching Eleanor Burns, her personality drove me up a wall. After I was able to get past it, I have learned sew much from her. She was here in Tulsa last year (I think) but I couldn't afford to go. Really disappointed. I was able to do a Nancy Zieman retreat a few years ago and she is fabulous. So down to earth and friendly. Very approachable.

Now Sue Houseman....grrrrr. If she would just let her *guests* talk, instead of constantly interrupting then, I might watch her more. As it is, she doesn't give me a chance to learn anything.

I'm with you on that. Just the time you might learn something, the host interrupts them with some inept question.

kso
    I just saw Sue Housman in person SAT. Like her much better in person than on TV.

EB drives me crazy with the voice and throwing things over her shoulder, but I think she has good techniques.

I have always likes Nancy Zieman.

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    OK now I have to go watch some of the many quilting tapes that GR8GR8granny sent me before she passed. I will have to pay attention to how they teach. I think they have to assume we need to take it slow. And they are being clear so we all understand no matter what our abillity is. So glad I can rewind.. I love watching thsoe shows. Wish there were more. Thanks for sharing everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Melinda in Tulsa

I've been sitting here racking my brain trying to remember Sue Houseman's name. I totally agree with you. She can't shut up or keep her hands out of the project her guest is there for. That's when I usually took a break & did something else when we still had our Sat. morn. lineup of quilt shows. They sure ruined my Saturday mornings when they changed that.
    Then of course, you can't do any of the quilts that Kaye Wood does without buying her templates Starmaker 6 & 8.
    Oh well, nothing can stop us from enjoying our needle & thread.

Is it just me, or do other people find that some of the Hosts on quilting TV shows sound like they are talking to a kindergarden class?
    OMG yes!! I know exactly who you are talking about. She gives great tips, but she's speaking to adult women, not children. I'm a beginning quilter, and I do appreciate the knowledge she is imparting, but her tone gets on my last nerve. My daughter won't even watch her, so if I learn something valuable, I have to pass the knowledge on to her.

np3
    Blog Entries
    We don't get shows here on quilting. I envy all of you.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaStitcher
    I remember the first time I saw Elenor Burns ( several years ago now) and thought at the time "I am 46, not 4 to 6. Puleeese!" But she has gotten more relaxed and does a better job of delivery. And I think she just chooses to be happy.
    I used to work with a gal who was always "nice" and good-hearted and I thought nobody could be that nice but worked with her for over 20 years and she really was a sweet nice person, I grew to love her. Probably my own cynical thinking caused me to misjudge her.

Blog Entries
    Just think how fortunate we are to at least have as many shows as we do tho. I know lots of you don't have as much opportunity as some of us. We, here in NE Oklahoma have at least 1, most times, 2-3 to watch every day except Sunday.

We get something from most of the different shows too. Some more, some less. Sadly, most of the hosts of these shows are *older* ladies, and if we don't get younger hosts, as these people retire, there won't be any more shows. I also think we need younger hosts to entice younger viewers to learn and appreciate our craft, otherwise, it will die out.

But for those of you who don't have access to the shows on TV, there are several websites with lots of videos. Most are free too.

I haven't found any in this area, maybe not looking in the right place. Wish I had one to watch and see for myself.

The one show I could get was discontinued. That said, "Giggles" used to put my teeth on edge. Talked so much the guest wasn't able to offer enough information to satisfy my needs. I found myself wanting to yell at the TV "Shut up and let her/him speak." Am not refferring to EB. OK, that was ugly of me.

Blog Entries
    I have been told by someone who was there that Alex was giving a seminar in Pasadena that she was called away for a phone call. When she returned in tears she said she'd been told that HGTV was returning to their original roots---home and gardens. Because they owned the rights to her show, she could not take it to another station. Looks like they couldn't keep her off the internet though.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Longarm]

As for F & P, now that it should be renamed Fons & Fons (daughter Mary and not Liz Porter) I won't watch it anymore. I got tired of hearing her interrupt her mother and then start going "uh, uh, uh". As far as I am concerned they can take it off the air. I didn't realize how much L.P. contributed until I saw the newer series without her. It certainly isn't the quality show it was prior to Liz's retirement.

I'm with you!! I watched a couple of the new ones and was totally turned off. Mary seems to be mugging for the camera constantly. I sure miss Liz...the show just isn't the same and I don't bother watching anymore.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FranW
    I subscribe to both "QNN tv" and "The Quilt Show with Alex Anderson and Ricky Timms". Both are internet subscriptions and (for me) worth every penny. Just pull up the shows that interest me at any given time. The search features are so helpful, as my interest and skill levels change, I can watch a variety of shows on any and all subjects. I am not affiliated with either show, just a happy customer!
    I subscribed to QNN tv for a year and was happy with the content. My problem was trying to see it clearly. The small picture was too small and when I went to the full screen mode, everything was very grainy and hurt my eyes. I was debating as to whether or not to renew so I called them and asked if this problem was on my end or theirs. Whoever I talked to was so totally uninterested...she just said that a lot of people had complained about it but there was nothing they could do. So I decided not to renew. Anyone else have that problem???

I bought a dvd for a diamond log cabin and the instructor was so sweet and condescending I couldn`t watch it.I am sorry to say I was looking for a plain log cabin pattern because I am a visual learner. I will gift it somewhere or to someone in home bureau. :roll:

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast