Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts and colors >

Quilts and colors

Quilts and colors

Old 01-14-2011, 12:49 PM

I agree with getting rid of the SIL. The quilts must stay.
Old 01-14-2011, 12:52 PM

The problem isn't you or the colours- it's the SiL for sure.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:01 PM

Ya know, you all gave me a 'new vision' for the new year. I'm going to find the cutest wall hangings, pieced pillows and table runners, and add some color to my house. ALL over the place.

I'd love to find a smaller quilt pattern for each season to hang over the fireplace, as well as different tables runners for different seasons. Anybody have any favorite patterns/books they'd like to suggest?

Hummm... this is going to give me even MORE OCD when it comes to quilting. :) I think I'll be the quilting rebel! Pretty bad if that's as wild as I get. ha ha
Old 01-14-2011, 01:06 PM

Your house, your quilt, your taste. BE HAPPY!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:22 PM

I agree with you Margie. Quilts are used for many things in my home. I have three bedrooms that use quilts (large ones) for bed spreads, in rooms filled with antique furniture. I use dust ruffles and try to pick up a color or two in the drapes in the quilts. The two quilts I use in my bedroom are used differently. One is my warm cover to snuggle under the other one I lay across the bottom of my bed and it matches the colors used throughout the room. I have about six lap quilts in my den which get a lot of use by my family. None of these little quilts match anything, they are just colorful and fun tops from every pattern you can think of. My family has actually asked me before where "their" quilt was, meaning one they had used before and wanted again. I have a home full of antiques and loved collecting them with my husband and know it is sometimes hard to decorate with this furniture. I have however, made my home livable and warm because I did not want a museum. I use colors that please me and make me feel good. My home is my castle and I want my family and guests to feel "at home" when they are here. So, use your quilts, toppers or what ever you like that makes you happy and trade the SIL for some more material.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:23 PM

Do whatever makes YOU happy!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:32 PM
jme

It's YOUR house!!
Old 01-14-2011, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by merry
Keep your quilts, give away your SIL :)
Funny one! There are no real Rules in the Quilting World.
Old 01-14-2011, 01:43 PM
MCH

I haven't read all the posts on this; if I'm echoing someone else, well... :D

When folks get into the "go with / match / blend" mode of decorating, I sense they've been watching too much HGTV and Martha Stewart, reading Architecture Digest, and need some confidence.

Most folks "live" in their homes and "life" isn't always neat, tidy, co-ordinated, and matched.

Whenever I've heard folks note what colors "go" and "don't go" together,and couches, lamps, carpets, etc. should (???) co-ordinate, I just have to ask them, "Tell me about your favorite garden and if all the colors and plants in that match or are co-ordinated."

Yes, if it's a very formal garden "stuff matches"... but a red rose against the green leaves, per some folks, doesn't go together and is "jarring". Oh, really?

At the risk of reduncdancy, you live in your home. Your quilts are a part of you. Enjoy your home. Enjoy yourself. Let others worry about matiching and co-ordinating.

I promise you that in 20 years no one will remember that couch, loveseat, accessories, and paint that was co-ordinate. In twenty years, if they're lucky, they will remeber that gorgeous and quirky quilt that took its place proudly among the decorator's delight. :thumbup:
Old 01-14-2011, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by merry
Keep your quilts, give away your SIL :)
I agree - make what YOU love - don't let others deem what is right for you. A splash of color is always nice