Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims >

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Old 08-30-2017, 11:46 AM

I read an article yesterday about the Red Cross and it was not flattering. The Red Cross was unprepared for Sandy and is also not transparent regarding finances. Samaritan's Purse spends the majority of funds donated on helping during a disaster and is on the ground right now helping flood victims.. Administrative fees are very low compared to the Red Cross's 9% off the top. The Lutheran Church is in Texas and Louisiana as is the Salvation Army. Also, the Seattle animal shelter is expecting 300 animals from Texas and need foster homes. Perhaps that is the case in your area as well and would be a way to help.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:33 PM

You are right about Good Will. That is quite a racket they have going.
Old 08-30-2017, 12:44 PM

The idea of employing handicapped people is a good one, but Good Will pays them peanuts. It is a for profit organization. While I no longer donate to them, I will buy fabric from them as the prices are VERY reasonable and I make a lot of charity quilts. Also, they do get new clothing in from time to time, so those who have to make their money stretch have an opportunity for purchasing it. But they do NOT distribute clothing or any other supplies to those in need. The stuff they think they can't sell is packed up in huge boxes and sold. It is definitely a for profit organization.
Old 08-30-2017, 02:22 PM

Here's another resource for quilts for the Houston area.....I took this off my fb page.
Attached Thumbnails screen-shot-2017-08-30-4.23.18-pm.png  
Old 08-30-2017, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by bkay View Post
I'm in Dallas. We have 2 shelters open and are opening other shelters for the displaced residents. (They say they will be coming for another week.) I'm a regular volunteer in the local school district. I received an email yesterday from DISD asking for donations of uniforms and school supplies for the children who will be arriving and going to schools here for a while, at least.

I am currently making an I Spy quilt with no planned home. I thought a children's quilt would be a welcome possession for a child who has lost everything. If anyone wants to make one, I'll make sure it gets to the kids. The link the school district sent allows me to sign up for volunteering at the shelter, so I can make sure it gets to the proper place. I have lots of 5" squares I'll share if anyone is willing to make an I Spy quilt for the kids. My squares are 5". I got them in swaps, so they are varied and appropriate. PM me if you want me to mail some to you.

Other than donating the one I was making, I had no other plans until I read this thread. So, I'll start making the appropriate arrangements to handle this.

bkay
I think this is great. If nothing gets planned in my guild I will contact you.
Old 08-30-2017, 04:15 PM

So quick response - yes it makes sense that money is good right now, but later other things.

After flooding in northern plain states a few years ago someone associated with the guilds around Keller and Fort Worth, Tx took up sewing supplies in a truck. I think that was a great idea. Not immediately but later. Think about it - if you and family had to rebuild getting sewing supplies would be lower priority. I know they took up several used sewing machines.

As for the charities I don't have new information, but in 1973 I had a house fire and lost all our clothing. Red Cross tracked me down as I had relocated to my sister's and they bought my 2 yr clothing including shoes. It was immensely helpful and cheering.

Peggy
Old 08-30-2017, 04:29 PM

Bonnie Hunter shared this on facebook

Dear Bonnie--I love you and Quiltville!
I am President of Kingwood Area Quilt Guild. We are a surrounding city to Houston, TX, which is being inundated and overwhelmed by unprecedented flooding!
KAQG will act as liaison for anyone/any guild who wants to donate quilts, any size/color/pattern, to the Houston area. We will make sure they get to flood victims.
Send them to Rebecca Ward, 5311 Dawnburst Dr., Humble, TX 77346 or to Diane Floyd, 2026 Round Spring Rd., Kingwood TX 77339
Old 08-30-2017, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Sorry but the Red Cross isn't all that great. When Sandy hit, my friends in it said Red Cross wasn't any help at all, Salvation Army was the big help, giving out water, having meals, donating needed right then items like gloves, first aid kits, hats, sunscreen to those that were trying to clean up salvage their homes. She didn't see Red Cross doing any of that or even coming out to the people. You had to go to them.
My in-laws were in the big flood in Missouri 1993, they said the same as above, the Salvation Army was a major help, they will always be grateful. The Red Cross even charged them for sandwiches. The Red Cross leadership is different now, hopefully they have changed, but we always donate to the Salvation Army.
Old 08-30-2017, 05:25 PM

As stated in other thread, there is a fund set up by the mayor of Houston (Sylvester Turner) for this purpose Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund.

Old 08-30-2017, 05:29 PM

One thing to consider is that many people right now are in shelters at churches or the convention center. They have no where to keep their possessions except a square of floor space. More possessions might not be what they need most.