Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims >

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Old 08-30-2017, 07:18 PM

Mercychefs.com is an organization that has mostly volunteers but a small number of paid staff so they can operate 24/7/365. THey are in Tx now serving up to 20,000 hot meals a day to victims and first responders.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:22 PM

If I am hearing and remembering correctly, the Houston area is comprised of more than six million people. Almost all of those people will be impacted in some way by the winds, rain, flooding and tornadoes spawned by Harvey. I cannot begin to imagine what it's like to try to help all these folks. It is a massive undertaking. Our prayers are for all of the people of Texas who have been and are being impacted by this massive storm.
Old 08-30-2017, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by sushi View Post
For all those QB members who live in the affected area, I pray that you and your loved ones are safe! When you are able, please let us know how this quilting community might help you - especially if it involves sending you quilts or quilting supplies.
Thank you. I'm one of the lucky few who had only manageable leakage and no flooding/power loss. I'm trying to get in touch with my local guilds right now to see what quilts or supplies are needed. Charity raffles or auctions may be the best course at this stage as we've still got a lot of flooded or damaged roads making getting things into Houston difficult to impossible depending on location.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana View Post
Do not give to Goodwill in the flood areas. IT IS NOT A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION. Goodwill is a business. They do not donate. They are not a charity. They are a for profit company ...
This is not correct. Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) organization, which is the same as the American Red Cross. I assume the Salvation Army is also 501(c)(3), but I couldn't actually find where it said that on their site (I didn't spend more than a couple minutes looking at each organization's website).

A 501(c)(3) organization is (according to the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...rganizations):

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operatedexclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

When you read things on the internet and one person is saying one thing and another person is saying another thing about something FACTUAL, please just look it up yourself to find out who is correct instead of trying to decide based on who makes the better argument. In other words, don't believe me about this just because I said it, GOOGLE IT YOURSELF.

Edited to add: Emphasis all in the original from the IRS website

Last edited by Mitty; 08-31-2017 at 06:59 AM.
Old 08-31-2017, 08:03 AM

Thank you, Mitty, for clarifying the status of Goodwill. (Whew ... I've given them a LOT of stuff over the years.) We should all be careful to verify statements rather than assuming they are correct.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:18 AM

Thanks, Mitty. You are so correct about not just believing everything you read on the internet.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:38 AM

The Red Cross was very good to my daughter when she was burned out of her apartment in Atlanta but that was 10 years ago. Things do change. I was very pleased to hear that my Project Linus chapter will be sending a donation from here in VA. I'm off to work on a baby quilt right now!
Old 08-31-2017, 09:56 AM
Power Poster

Samaritan's Purse is trustworthy and great place to send financial donations. They will be used as you intended. They are usually first on the scene of any disaster to offer assistance and relief.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:05 AM

Thanks for the reality check and suggestions. I can't imagine starting over from nothing.
Old 08-31-2017, 10:15 AM

I would like to add...Please don't forget the many people who have also recently lost their homes due to the the wildfires in California. I don't know the exact demographics, but I'm guessing from the areas in trouble that many of the people displaced are seniors. I'm sure that many of them they would appreciate a quilt. IE: don't stop your quilt donations, just because the disaster relief in Texas has requested cash.

~ C