Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims >

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Quilts for Houston Area Flood Victims

Old 08-31-2017, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Mitty View Post
This is not correct. Goodwill is a 501(c)(3) organization, which is the same as the American Red Cross. I assume the Salvation Army is also 501(c)(3), but I couldn't actually find where it said that on their site (I didn't spend more than a couple minutes looking at each organization's website).

A 501(c)(3) organization is (according to the IRS website https://www.irs.gov/charities-non-pr...rganizations):

To be tax-exempt under section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code, an organization must be organized and operatedexclusively for exempt purposes set forth in section 501(c)(3), and none of its earnings may inure to any private shareholder or individual. In addition, it may not be an action organization, i.e., it may not attempt to influence legislation as a substantial part of its activities and it may not participate in any campaign activity for or against political candidates.Organizations described in section 501(c)(3) are commonly referred to as charitable organizations. Organizations described in section 501(c)(3), other than testing for public safety organizations, are eligible to receive tax-deductible contributions in accordance with Code section 170.

When you read things on the internet and one person is saying one thing and another person is saying another thing about something FACTUAL, please just look it up yourself to find out who is correct instead of trying to decide based on who makes the better argument. In other words, don't believe me about this just because I said it, GOOGLE IT YOURSELF.

Edited to add: Emphasis all in the original from the IRS website
Just curious. So Goodwill does some kind of community service with its donations?
Old 08-31-2017, 02:22 PM

A quilt shop near me is collecting new underwear to send to Houston. The owner has been in touch with a social worker at the stadium. I agree that money donations are most useful but this addresses the need to help out with something tangible.
Keeping everyone affected by the hurricane/tropical storm in my thoughts.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:26 PM

For another place to donate: Presbyterian Disaster Relief. These folks go into the area and stay until things are better.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:33 PM

I've gotten in touch with my guild, the West Houston Quilters' Guild, and we are taking and distributing donations. Our contact info is online here.
Old 09-01-2017, 02:31 AM

Via Facebook if anyone is interested: Dear Quilting Community,
The devastation of Hurricane Harvey is enormous; it’s hard to even wrap your head around what is going on. Are you wondering how you can help those affected by this storm? The Quilt Haus in New Braunfels, Texas is coordinating a massive project to benefit victims and evacuees of the ongoing disaster on the Texas coast and in Houston due to Hurricane Harvey.

Please read The Quilt Haus Facebook link below about their story and the supplies they are looking for – fabric, binding, batting, time, etc.. If you have ready-made quilts, you can also send those.

We have all read articles about donated items going to landfill or being burned as it was just “in the way” or too hard to organize to get out to people. Rest assured that your donation to the Quilt Haus will go to someone in need, based on their years of experience of the right groups to donate to.

If you are able to donate anything to their relief cause, please bring to the Quilt Haus during their normal business hours (Mon-Sat 9:30-5:30, Sun 12-5), or send to:
Quilt Haus
Attn: #HarveyHelp
651 N Business IH-35, #510
New Braunfels, TX 78130

Our employees have started bringing in donations. So far we have sent out 5 huge boxes to The Quilt Haus as a small start. We would also like to give a huge thank you to Climashield #ClimaLife for their GENEROUS donation of batting for some of the folks who will be making quilts and blankets.

Sincerely,
The Clothworks Team
Old 09-01-2017, 03:44 AM

Originally Posted by madamekelly View Post
Just curious. So Goodwill does some kind of community service with its donations?
I don't have any particular knowledge of Goodwill. In general I would suggest looking at a charity's website and Wikipedia before donating (Wikipedia can be subject to tampering, but in general I find the information good).

It took a little digging, but I found this on the Goodwill site:
Originally Posted by www.goodwill.org/
Goodwill’s mission is to provide job placement services, onsite and virtual skills training, employment training and other community-based services, such as career counseling, industry-recognized credentials, résumé preparation, and many other services. Goodwill organizations provide these services to people in local communities by selling donations of used items in Goodwill stores.
I want to emphasize that I am neither pro- nor anti- Goodwill and am just trying to provide information to help people search for information so that they can make up their own minds.

When trying to evaluate a company or charity or any organization, another strategy is to do some creative googling, like the name of the organization and "scandal" or "controversy" or "ripoff" and things like that. Of course, not everything out there is true, and it's important to consider the source. If I find something on an unfamiliar website, I try to look around at other things on the website to see if they seem to have a particular bias. All this research takes time, but I figure 30-60 minutes of verification on my part can save me from doing business with an unscrupulous company or donating to a charity that isn't what I thought it was.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:48 AM
Power Poster

How about Catholic Charities?