Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-23-2014, 01:12 PM

I recently quilted a baby quilt for donation & just for s & g I echoed less than 1/2" overall the pattern which was a panel & pieced borders. I was really disappointed as I used a thin cotton batting & medium weight thread. I can only hope it softens after washing as it was so stiff it wouldn't stay wrapped around a baby. It was a learning experience, it would have made a great wall hanging, but I wouldn't make a functional one again like that, it was terribly time consuming and just didn't turn out the way I intended, I'm just saying.
Old 04-23-2014, 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by lswan View Post
Please, preference for amount of quilting is fine. When you say you don't like something, it leaves the quilter judged. Saying quilted to death is a put down. Over quilted is a put down. If your preference is for less, more open quilting, fine. That we are making, creating quilts is the important thing. Taste and preference are inevitable and help shape our work. If something is not your taste, that is ok. My personal passion is heavy quilting on my vintage Singers. I think it gives my quilts a sculptural quality that I love. I let the quilt fabric and design speak to me and quilt it accordingly. I am not obscuring the pattern or hiding the fabric, I am making sculpture that gives its owners a hug. I do not expect all to give it their thumbs up. I have been criticized at shows for distorting the fabric. That was my intention, it is fabric, not paint. Every one has different tastes in type and kind of fabric, that is good. There is no right fabric, except for what you are working on. Please celebrate the quilts as the time and passion put into them is incredible; it doesn't diminish what you do, but adds to the creative tide of quilts. May our tribe increase!
Iswan: I like vintage machines. I know I would like to see some pictures of your work.

Pagzz: Beautiful quilt. The quilting is what I would call heavy but I think it works in harmony with the applique. I can only dream of having the artistic talent to design something like that and the skill to make it happen.
Rodney

Last edited by Rodney; 04-23-2014 at 02:18 PM.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:30 PM

I'm not a fan of heavily quilted quilts either.
Old 04-23-2014, 03:49 PM

Fascinating conversation here! Everyone has a different opinion and all are good. If the quilter is an artist, regardless of what holds the needle - your fingers, your domestic machine, your longarm, your sitdown quilt machine, it is still the art that matters. Still another issue is competition with a computer. When your quilt hangs next to a quilt that has been automatically quilted by a machine, not a person handling a machine, that is a whole different ballgame. My feeling is that "roboquilting" should be on the label. Most of the time an experienced quilter can tell the difference, but it's annoying to me that people get to say "quilted by..." when actually all they did was hook it all up, choose a design from a catalog, and stand by or walk away while the machine does all the work. Sure, you have to be there in case the thread breaks or something, but I contend that auto-quilting should be identified on the labels just as professional quilters now are listed. Let's call it what it is. It's fine - I see the purpose of quick and easy - and they are certainly beautiful designs, but I consider it truth in labeling. Am I alone in this?
Old 04-23-2014, 04:07 PM

I enjoy them all. I like to watch YouTube videos when some of the really talented quilters are doing feathers and everything that makes them pop and the ones echoing the piecing of the blocks. It is all a skill, some have taken farther than others. I just got a long arm and have learned to do loops pretty good. Getting the quilt straight on the long arm took me longer to get strait than looping across the fabric. They all take skills that have to be developed. Look at them all, make what you enjoy and may your thread not break or get knots in it
Old 04-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by LynnVT View Post
Fascinating conversation here! Everyone has a different opinion and all are good. If the quilter is an artist, regardless of what holds the needle - your fingers, your domestic machine, your longarm, your sitdown quilt machine, it is still the art that matters. Still another issue is competition with a computer. When your quilt hangs next to a quilt that has been automatically quilted by a machine, not a person handling a machine, that is a whole different ballgame. My feeling is that "roboquilting" should be on the label. Most of the time an experienced quilter can tell the difference, but it's annoying to me that people get to say "quilted by..." when actually all they did was hook it all up, choose a design from a catalog, and stand by or walk away while the machine does all the work. Sure, you have to be there in case the thread breaks or something, but I contend that auto-quilting should be identified on the labels just as professional quilters now are listed. Let's call it what it is. It's fine - I see the purpose of quick and easy - and they are certainly beautiful designs, but I consider it truth in labeling. Am I alone in this?
No indeed. Not alone. I was wondering if I should chime in on what you call "robo quilting". I went to a quilt show and the lady demo-ing one of those big long arms was so pleased that all she had to do was load the quilt and like you said, pick a pattern and push start. I asked where the quilting skill was and she said "well I have to know how to set up the computer". Not judging. If that's what some quilters like, fine with me. But needs its own category.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:02 PM

art is in the eye of the beholder. to each his own. I just love looking at anything we made. have a couple quilt shows coming up, I am going to make it to. and I enjoy them all.
Old 04-23-2014, 05:19 PM

If all I had to do was load the frame and hit a button I would get bored quickly. That's the point when the machine no longer serves you. You serve the machine. I suppose the next big deal will be the addition of a few lasers and motors so the frame can map the center and borders then start quilting. All you would need to do then is set the unfinished quilt on the rack and press go.

Back to heavily quilted quilts. They're nothing new. I bought some "Quilter's Newsletter" magazines from the 80s and 90s at the thrift store today and there were enough examples in them of heavily quilted quilts (including a couple quilts dating back to the 30s) to indicate heavy quilting was not uncommon even in older quilts. The only thing that has changed is the style and technology. There were a lot more crosshatched and straight line designs on the older quilts. Longarm machines have made stippling, meanders, feathers and other flowing designs much easier to achieve. Some quilt battings also require what I think of as close quilting-lines every inch or so. I think older battings required closer quilting because they weren't made to stay together like most modern battings are.
Rodney
Old 04-24-2014, 03:59 AM

I have been encouraged to continue to post on this thread so I will make one last post on this thread then I'm done. I have my opinions, and I don't like my words being twisted and taken out of context and have assumptions made that I do or don't like certain types of quilting. I was making a comment, not to any one person or skill level. If you took offense, that is your issue, not mine. If I'm given another infraction/banned, then so be it. I lived without the QB for 61 years and I will continue to do so, by God's grace.

I made the original comment not because I don't like 'heavily quilted quilts'. As I stated, I think many are very pretty. I was just making a comment that sometimes, like in fashion, trends go in and out of style. I've taken a class to be certified to rent a longarm machine at my LQS and maybe one day I will do so. Mainly, I took the class because 1) my house is not large enough to accommodate a longarm machine, 2) I can't afford one, 3) I wanted to see if it was for me but mainly I wanted to rent the S16 sit-down machine because I cannot stand for long periods of time.

I was recently challenged by a very sweet QB friend to make a quilt for a quilt show, any show, and see what happens. I don't have the skills to FMQ a quilt to the skill level that many LA quilters have who enter the major shows, but I thought I could at least learn some new techniques regarding color choices, piecing, binding, and general overall skills to make a quilt that might be 'good enough' technically, to be accepted into a show. Sure, I could have entered into a local guild show or a state fair or some type of show along that level, but no, I had to go with a major show, because it was the only one that was going to be close enough for me to drive to.

So I made a quilt, a wall hanging actually. I researched and studied various techniques from skilled craftsmen in the field of quilting, I took Craftsy classes to learn the basics, I practiced and practiced. I went to the library and checked out books on how to make a 'show quilt'. None of them said that the quilt had to be heavily quilted, but rather just make the best quilt I could possibly make. And that's what I did. I even hired a photographer friend to take the best pictures possible to send in with my application.

Now, do I think my quilt will be accepted into the show? Hell no, and I know why....it's quilted very simply on my small Brother DSM with a 6 1/2" harp. It is tastefully quilted and it is as technically perfect as possible. I don't think even the best quilter in the world could have done a better job. Yet, no way do I think my quilt would EVER be accepted into this show, because it's not 'quilted to death!' and because it isn't trendy enough to meet most judges expectations. But I have also been told by several professional quilters that my quilt is beautiful though because, it's not quilted to death and that 'term' came from a professional long arm quilter. I didn't make it up myself.

The one last thing I want to say about this subject, I knew going into this challenge that my quilt was NEVER going to be accepted into this particular show and that is PERFECTLY FINE WITH ME. I simply wanted to make a quilt that I thought was good enough....and I know it is. But it is sad to think that because I don't have the 'necessary' skills to make a quilt that is heavily quilted, I know it advance that it's not going to be judged fairly, because I'm being judged against other quilters who have 'quilted to death' their quilts and they are more trendy/appealing and meet the judges expectations, etc. Now that's an unfair comparison!

I'm a novice quilter, I've only made about 25 quilts, but I've sewing all my life, and I learned so much about quilting making this one quilt...color values, precise piecing, batting choices, thread choices, quilt design choices, how to bury my threads, binding techniques, how to FMQ to compliment and enhance the quilt design, not detract from the over theme of the quilt, washing, blocking, quilt photography, and most of all patience.

I am completely satisfied with my quilt, and knowing that it wasn't going to even be accepted into the show, did not discourage me from doing everything I could to make this the very best quilt I could make based on my skill level.

That being said, I'm very glad that I don't have a long arm machine nor the skill level to quilt a quilt to death. I would never want to assume that just because I can long arm doesn't mean that I would stand a better chance of being accepted into a show.

I know, going in this challenge, what I wanted to accomplish.... and I accomplished it...and I don't need a ribbon or even an acceptance letter to know it. For that alone....I am already a winner.... quilted to death or not.......END OF DISCUSSION!

Last edited by Stitch124; 04-24-2014 at 04:19 AM.
Old 04-24-2014, 05:29 AM

I would never want to assume that just because I can long arm doesn't mean that I would stand a better chance of being accepted into a show.
You know, many of the extremely heavily quilted show quilts are not done on longarms, but are done on full size domestics (as opposed to the 3/4 size machines many occasional sewers have.) Then a number are done on large harp space domestics, which are still fairly affordable compared to long arms.

And of those long armed, very few show quilts are computer quilted. Computer quilting is actually more common for home use quilts, because it is fast and efficient. Custom quilting is generally hand guided.