Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts that are 'quilted to death'  -- just my 2 cents worth..... >

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Quilts that are 'quilted to death' -- just my 2 cents worth.....

Old 04-24-2014, 06:01 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Skittl1321 View Post
You know, many of the extremely heavily quilted show quilts are not done on longarms, but are done on full size domestics (as opposed to the 3/4 size machines many occasional sewers have.) Then a number are done on large harp space domestics, which are still fairly affordable compared to long arms.

And of those long armed, very few show quilts are computer quilted. Computer quilting is actually more common for home use quilts, because it is fast and efficient. Custom quilting is generally hand guided.
Excellent points Skittl. The quilt that swept the show circuit in 2011 was "America, Let it shine" by Sherry Reynolds. This quilt was pieced and quilted on a 20YO domestic Bernina and designed on graph paper, as opposed to using a design software like EQ. Here is an excellent blog detailing all about that spectacular quilt:
http://godutchbaby.blogspot.com/2011...by-sherry.html

Stitch, I think it is premature of you to so confidently say you won't be accepted at a major show. It is more than quilting that makes a show quilt. Original piecing design, complexity of pieced design (it is doubtful a YBR, BQ or Warm Wishes will make the cut in a juried show, no matter how spectacularly quilted) precision in workmanship, use of color and value, all of these things combined and more are what make an award winning quilt in a juried national show. If it was just heavy elaborate quilting that counted then nothing but wholecloths would be winning.

An interesting point about computer assisted quilting, recently AQS changed the classification of machine quilting in only two categories. Either the quilting was computer assisted or not. Unfortunately AQS decided stitch regulation falls under computer assisted. As Skittl mentioned most of the winners so far are hand guided but they were forced to enter in the computer assisted category because the quilting was stitch regulated. I think that is very sad. I wish they had made the category computer guided instead of computer assisted.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:36 AM

Stitch regulator=computer assisted?? That's very unfortunate to put quilts quilted with a stitch regulator in the same category as a "push the button and the computer quilts the design" category.
Old 04-24-2014, 10:10 AM

Just about as unfair and comparing a quilt that is heavily quilted next to one that isn't. No replies necessary.
Old 04-24-2014, 11:01 AM

that is all why I have nothing to do with quilt shows any more they use to really be fair and all had a catagory I had a quilt make it all the way to Paducah in 1998 and also published in a magazine but I went in a category I have also
seen what they do at fairs any more and it is all very different also most of our quilt clubs, guilds and shops are gone not sure if it is just our area or not I do know the prices has effected a lot of people as well as the copyright laws has gotten so bad that some patterns say personal use only so not like the good old days when we got together to exchange and just have fun now everything is speed and money so wonder where it will go from here
Old 04-24-2014, 12:55 PM

i love love love it when i see hand quilted examples at shows, more so for their increasing rarity.

i am firmly in the balance and appreciation camp, for all quilty things

aileen
Old 04-25-2014, 06:00 AM

Location: Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!

Stitch124: Good conversation starter and I think someone in here after reading all the replies said it best: Each to their own (maybe not in those words, but you get the jest). Just as we are each entitled to our own humble opinions, we all may or may not agree, but we are entitled to them.
I, myself am not a heavy embellisher of my quilts and no one has complained, the one and only one I did heavily embellish my avatar loves it as she can cave under it.
Thanks for starting this conversation and GOOD LUCK!! on your quilt.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:47 AM

I've been thinking about my opinion on this. I love the artistry in the heavily quilted quilts and marvel at those that possess that ability, especially if it is done free hand without computer assistance, and is done in such a way as to make the piecing stand out. I wish I had even an ounce of that artistic ability, but I don't. So I admire the quilts that are quilted this way. But after looking at so many heavily quilted quilts, and my lack of drawing talent, and my limited resources and funds, I simply can't compare my quilting with those types of quilts and I'm finally ok with that. I've learned that I love the feel of hand quilted quilts compared to machine quilted quilts. So, rather than bemoaning the fact that I can't do heavy quilting with a machine, I'm working on doing somewhat heavy quilting with a needle and thread and a template. My hand quilted quilts will never compare to the artistry of the heavily machine quilted quilts, but the time I spend on them is priceless which gives the quilt a completely different artistic value.

So, for me, I find I can appreciate the quilting and piecing on each quilt simply for the artistic value of piece.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 AM

From an engineering point of view, it seems logical to me that every seam is a structural weak point, and if what we wanted was for stuff to last forever we wouldn't cut it up into little pieces at all! LOL And it does seem logical that every time a needle pierces the fabric and draws a thread through, there's another little hole!

But I can't imagine worrying about it, because some of these quilts, whether in big pieces or small, hand quilted or machined 'within an inch of their lives', seem to just keep on giving warmth and comfort and beauty for generations! If the cotton gets weary, the stitches will carry the day!

Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 AM

This is such an interesting thread. It's almost a discussion about art quilts versus more traditional quilts. I love the design and machine quilting part of the process, don't enjoy the piecing part so much. I love to see the quilts that have a lot of machine quilting on it. To me that's as interesting as the piecing. That being said, I'm making a quilt for our bed and I probably will restrain myself from doing too much machine quilting so the quilt isn't so stiff. My husband disagrees, he thinks I should quilt it up.

For the wallhangings I make I do 'quilt it up' and that has gone over very well with everyone who has seen them.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:17 AM

Have perused this thread from start to finish. Simply put, there are two preferences...heavily quilted and minimally quilted. After a lot of reflection I remain in the minimally quilted camp. My joy is in the design and colors. MANY years ago my daughter surprised me with a handmade quilt that I cherish to this day. She knew nothing about quilting, simply acut by hand (long before rotary cutters!) and hand sewed alternating cranberry print and white cotton 12" squares together which were then only quilted 1/4" from each seam line. The cranberry has faded and the edges are a little jagged but I still use it! But there is no damage to any of the stitches...they remain intact as well as the seams so it appears that heavy quilting is not, in fact, a valid reason for making sure the quilt stays together. I would venture to say the quilt she made 30 years ago has been washed over 100 times, spread on the ground for sunbathing and picnics, thrown in the car for emergency use, cuddled in during the cold winters here and on and on.