Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Sale? >

Quilts for Sale?

Quilts for Sale?

Old 08-09-2011, 09:09 AM

Craigslist might be a good site.
Old 08-09-2011, 11:39 AM

I don't sell mine. After all the time I spend making them, no one can afford to buy them. I only give them to family and friends who really appreciate the time and love spent making them.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Qwiltylady
I just posted quilt tops for sale and they were removed because we are only allowed to cover $6 per yard for the fabric in them. I was unaware of that stipulation so I won't be selling my tops on here.
It is difficult for some people in this country to understand the prices we need to charge for a quilt - especially when we are buying fabric at $26 per metre. Some have the attitude that 'you only make it while you watch television, anyway...' So I think the only way one can beat that is to make it so that it is really something special or exclusive - or dirt cheap because you made it out of donated goods.
Old 08-09-2011, 01:27 PM

I have recently begun using Etsy to list and sell my quilts. I have been on for about a month and just sold my first quilt for $75.00. They charge only .20 cents a listing. You need to do the promotion to drive traffic to your Etsy store - I promote via Facebook, Craftsy, Twitter and in my email signature.

You can see my store here - www.etsy.com/shop/OrganicInspired

For the price I love Etsy.

Wendy
Old 08-09-2011, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Qwiltylady
I just posted quilt tops for sale and they were removed because we are only allowed to cover $6 per yard for the fabric in them. I was unaware of that stipulation so I won't be selling my tops on here.
This has happened to me as well and yet some members can list finished items at full price and their posts do not get pulled. I am wondering what I have missed in the rules.
Old 08-09-2011, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by granny64
I don't sell mine. After all the time I spend making them, no one can afford to buy them. I only give them to family and friends who really appreciate the time and love spent making them.
When you are broke, you sell whatever you can. I want to sell some too.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:08 PM

I didn't read through all the posts, so I don't know if anyone already suggested it... but, you can also set up a blog and/or facebook page... post pics, descriptions, etc. Then if you establish a paypal account to receive payment... once the payment clears, you can send the quilt. Post the link to your blog and/or facebook page wherever you can.

just sayin...
Old 08-09-2011, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by BonniFeltz
First of all, HUGS for having to sell your stuff that you've had. I've seen your work and it is great. You'll be able to sell it. Have you also tried at the various gatherings that are going on? Mendota days, Cornfest in DeKalb, etc? Perhaps you can get a table set up for those?

Loved reading about all the sites. I knew about Etsy but not all the others.

Best of luck and keep me informed.
Bonnie I will let you know how it goes!
Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by granny64
This is how I work also but I have a few that I am willing to part with in order to help my husband out. So much more pleasure in making for friends and family :)
Old 08-09-2011, 04:51 PM
Banned

Etsy, is best, but right now..nothing is really selling...you could try a local paper like here it is called the Shopper's edge, at home it is called the Penny Pincher...you can advertise items for free. Selling online is not that easy if you are not familiar with payment forms, shipping costs, etc.

Good luck and God bless!