Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilts for Sale? >

Quilts for Sale?

Quilts for Sale?

Old 08-09-2011, 05:32 PM

Not sure about the "laws"... but if you want to make more $ ..... I'd raffle them at "so much" a DONATION. i did this with a charity quilt and made nearly $3,000
Old 08-09-2011, 05:35 PM
Power Poster

Another venue for selling quilts is quilt shows. Some shows will allow you to put a price on your quilt and will handle the transaction if it sells during the show. Their fee is usually from 20% to 30%, pretty steep, but you have the advantage of having it seen by lots of people who are interested in quilts. (You can set the price to take the fee into account.)
Old 08-09-2011, 06:04 PM

This weekend I will be trying the first of a couple of Farmer's Markets I've signed up for. I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone else had luck at Farmer's Markets?
Old 08-09-2011, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Candace
Originally Posted by sewing4kix
Hi, I am wondering why no one is selling their quilts here on the forum? I have a few of my handmade quilts that I need to sell due to a family financial crisis and am wondering the best way to go about listing them. I've looked on Ebay and found many for sale but what they've sold for wouldn't even cover the cost of the materials used. Do any of you know of someone looking to buy or should I go ahead and list them here in the for sale section? Thanks for your opinions!

Plain and simple, people here make quilts. Why would we want to buy them? Occasionally someone here will sell tops, but most people here make quilts. That's why we're here on the board.
Sure everyone on here quilts but there are lots that buy others fabrics, patterns, books, etc. so there may be some that do want to buy others quilts. I hope you are never put in the same position as sewing4kix.

Sewing4kix, please post your beautiful quilts in the pictures section.
Old 08-09-2011, 07:20 PM

I often look but rarely post. I guess I'm a regular lurker. :o)
Old 08-09-2011, 07:21 PM

Hi, I am wondering why no one is selling their quilts here on the forum? I have a few of my handmade quilts that I need to sell due to a family financial crisis and am wondering the best way to go about listing them. I've looked on Ebay and found many for sale but what they've sold for wouldn't even cover the cost of the materials used. Do any of you know of someone looking to buy or should I go ahead and list them here in the for sale section? Thanks for your opinions!
I would like to offer just 1 nice handmade quilt for sale every couple of months...JP
My SS barely stretches to pay my bills these days-
and there are bunches of us elders in the same situation!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by jpthequilter
I would like to offer just 1 nice handmade quilt for sale every couple of months...JP
My SS barely stretches to pay my bills these days-
and there are bunches of us elders in the same situation!
That certainly includes me!
Old 08-09-2011, 07:47 PM

I understand how you explained it now, but i saw very small table topper listed for $25 and never been pulled????just wondering????
Originally Posted by feline fanatic
Originally Posted by donnajean
I am watching this post as I really don't understand if you can post quilts for sale for what you should get for them. I think the rules say that you can only sell items at 60% of their retail value. So, I don't know if & how that applies to handmade items. I have a number of hand embroidered quilt blocks & don't know if I can post them as who determines the "retail" value?

I do see someone posting table toppers for sale on a regular basis, but her prices are very low.

This means the retail value of your raw materials only. You can not ask for any reimbursement for your labor. Basically Patrice will guesstimate a rough estimate of raw material based on a retail value of fabric, yardage most likely used in the quilt top and back and cost of batting. If she feels the asking price is over the 60% of cost of goods the ad will be pulled.

It really is difficult to sell quilts or quilt tops unless you find the right venue. Quilts rarely bring what they are worth because value of the labor is usually based on the percepted value of overseas labor which is pennies on the dollar. People see hand quilted quilts for sale in big box stores and department stores for $50. We could not purchase the fabric for a quilt that cheaply, let alone the batting, thread and our time. Quilt making is a labor of love and a hobby, not a viable business. One can make money in quiltmaking, like professional LA quilters but even that is very difficult to make enough to live on.
Old 08-09-2011, 08:17 PM

http://www.quiltsforsale.ca/ is another place you can sell quilts online.
Old 08-10-2011, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by wendyweb50
This weekend I will be trying the first of a couple of Farmer's Markets I've signed up for. I'll let you know how it goes. Has anyone else had luck at Farmer's Markets?
We have one in our small town every Saturday morning. I will have to check into it!