Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rag Quilt >

Rag Quilt

Rag Quilt

Old 01-17-2012, 10:23 AM

I just made two in the last few months, and used all flannels-word of advice- don't use Warm and Natural batting between the flannel layers-makes it too heavy-also, make sure if you use dark and light colors, you wash the dark ones TWICE, then after sewing the quilt together (quilt each square "sandwich" as you go before sewing together) and snipping your seams, wash again with a couple or three color catchers! I used purple/lavendar/green and threw in some whites, and even after pre-washing with color catchers and using color catchers in the final wash of the finished quilt, the purple ran into the white and ruined it (well, my son's don't care-it is the "couch quilt" for watching TV), but it was supose to be a gift for my Aunt. I made another, using light weight poly batting, and it came out ok. I used 8" squares of flannel and cut the batting to 7" so the seams wouldn't be so thick and the batting exposed, and it worked out much better. I didn't have a pattern, so I learned the hard way. The first one with the Warm and Natural batting I didn't cut the batting smaller, so I had to snip thru the flannel and batting and my fingers were bruised afterwards! I used 8 across and 10 down, and it is great for my 6ft 4" son.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by TanyaL View Post
The absolutely best rag quilt I ever saw for using on the sofa was made of 5" VELVET blocks, not velveteen. It was as soft as minkee but elegant and very grown-up looking. It was trimmed in plain old satin blanket edging and was beautiful!.
Was the velvet washable?
Old 01-17-2012, 10:58 AM
Power Poster

It is fine to use charm squares, however I wouldn't because it is too much clipping for me. I do mine a little different because even after carpal tunnel surgery I have a problem with the clipping. It is impossible for me to clip a whole rag quilt after it is finished. I put together the first 4 rows and then I clip the clip the first three seams. I also clip the seams in between the squares on each row. Then I add another couple of rows and clip. This enables me to clip only a few rows at a time and my hands can handle this. When all of the rows have been sewn together and clipped, I then do the row of stitching along the outside edge and clip it.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:23 AM

I am just finishing the last of 6 quilts I made as Christmas presents. I had them all sewed together, just had to cut. So I took them back after Christmas to finish. All I have to do now is wash them. I am going to a laundromat for that. If you have not purchased your rag scissors yet, please consider getting the Heritage quilting snips (VP7). I started snipping with the Fiskars snips, and literally had blisters; not on the hand that I snipped with, but the other hand. This was because I had to use the other hand to help push the snips so that it would cut the material. I ordered the Heritage cutlery snips from Amazon. The difference is between night and day. So, I would suggest that you spend a few more dollars and get the better one. Good luck.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by grammy of 6 View Post
I am just finishing the last of 6 quilts I made as Christmas presents. I had them all sewed together, just had to cut. So I took them back after Christmas to finish. All I have to do now is wash them. I am going to a laundromat for that. If you have not purchased your rag scissors yet, please consider getting the Heritage quilting snips (VP7). I started snipping with the Fiskars snips, and literally had blisters; not on the hand that I snipped with, but the other hand. This was because I had to use the other hand to help push the snips so that it would cut the material. I ordered the Heritage cutlery snips from Amazon. The difference is between night and day. So, I would suggest that you spend a few more dollars and get the better one. Good luck.
I agree with taking the rag quilts to the laundromat. I made 2 fuill size flannel rag quilts and took them to the laundromat and put them in seperate washing machines. One machine was ruined after, the other was ok. Whether it was from the quilt or not I don't know. It wouldn't finishing spinning and there was a mess of lint in the machine.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:45 AM

I would have never thought about not washing it the first time or two in my machine at home but you're right. That's a lot threads and such going through the machine. Will definitely go to the laundromat. Going to check out Amazon for the scissors too. With the talk about color fade there goes my idea of red and white. I'd hate to put that much work into it and then have red and pink. Thank you for all the suggestions!
Old 01-17-2012, 01:45 PM

Typically, for a baby quilt, I've used 8" squares to start, finishing to 7". One day, though, I tried 10" squares, used up florals from the stash for the front, leftover batting (all the same, though), and flannel from the stash for the back. I sewed the diagonals, only, no fancy quilting. It's been about 8 years now I think and it is fine. Very very soft from lots of washings. But we love it for in front of the TV. And yes, ditto to the others who suggested buying the best quality trimming scissors you can. I, too, learned that the hard way--blisters on both hands!
Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM

I love making rag quilts, in all sizes and with either cottons or flannels. However, I just wet the seams when it's all clipped and run it thru my home dryer 3-4 times, re-wetting it each time until the lint trap isn't full. I do have to empty it several times during each cycle which is a pain. The local laundromat has a big sign up that says, simply.. "Absolutely NO rag/frayed quilts!!" so that leaves me with no place to wash and dry it those first few times.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by PJisChaos View Post
I love making rag quilts, in all sizes and with either cottons or flannels. However, I just wet the seams when it's all clipped and run it thru my home dryer 3-4 times, re-wetting it each time until the lint trap isn't full. I do have to empty it several times during each cycle which is a pain. The local laundromat has a big sign up that says, simply.. "Absolutely NO rag/frayed quilts!!" so that leaves me with no place to wash and dry it those first few times.
I guess the laundromats got smart. I'll have to check with ours and see if they have any signs up. If they do, I'll take your advice about just wetting the seams a few times. Thanks for the suggestion.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:13 AM

Just bought my flannel and the Heritage Rag Quilt scissors so should be starting on the quilt by next week. This will also be a good "take along" project for when we go to the MAC Tools tool fair the end of February. Since hubby be presented with several awards I told him I'd go this year. While he's shopping for tools I'll be working on my rag quilt. Then we'll both be happy.