Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Really Ugly Quilt

Quote Originally Posted by Dolphyngyrl View Post
    Need pic, I love to see what people find ugly because most of the time it isn't which is funny
    I agree, I like it.
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    ďIf you canít see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesnít exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,Ē .......Greg Biornstad

Cool learning

Quote Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
    Ok, here's a photo of the ugly quilt.
    I have been doing this for years and I'm still learning. I don't think it is ugly. I think I would put a border of maybe 3 stripes different colors or 2 colors. You neglected to contrast it enough. I do that often. I think we forget to pick one busy print and maybe a solid to bring it out. I would finish it and use it if it was mine. If you really hate it, like they said, give it to someone where you won't see it again. To someone who don't have much that would be a real treasure. I try to surround myself with stuff I LOVE, not tolerate. Chalk it up to a lesson learned, that's what I try to do. I have even used some of the same fabrics with a redo to make it come out more like I wanted. It's all good. You do good work.

Ok! I was looking for something hideous!! I actually like it.....I agree with the comment from vicki w, add a couple of solid borders. You'll have to post after it's completely quilted............oh and by the way, you can just send it to me, I'll take it, lol, if you don't like it

Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    That's a good idea. Tho I think a solid red/rose/pink (whatever that darlest color is) inner border with a floral outer border would be good, too.

Personally, I don't think it's ugly at all. I think it has a rather shabby chic vibe to it & I like it.
    I also think it has a shaby chic vibe to it and think it's pretty. I think adding the dark red of the rose as a sashing would help. I was expecting something really ugly and was shocked to see your pretty quilt.
    "Be yourself...everyone else is taken."
    Strong people don't put others down...they build them up."
    "Remember that your instincts are more important than rules"

I like it!

I think you must be too young to like it...lol It reminds me of a studio couch we used to have when I was a kid...love the print...lol oh, the good old days...

I agree with Vicki W. A deep rose or a deep green to match the green in the flowers would be very pretty.

Blog Entries
    I LOVE it! Roses are my favorite.

It is a lovely shabby chic quilt and when you add the borders it will be a very pretty quilt. Don't toss it or bury it in a ufo basket, I wouldn't take it apart either, just border and quilt, it is sure to find a home.
    http://www.skillpages.com/DonnaValleyquiltermo
    Sweet Dreams come from under Cozy Quilts made with love.
    Life is short, take time to enjoy it. Play with your kids and g-kids,
    and do what you can for others.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
    Is this still 'just a top'?
    If so: There are things you can
    easily do with this, but it WILL require some work.
    Keep telling yourself it will be worth it in the end.

1. First, take the quilt apart into blocks.
    2. On the 3-strip block add a narrow border strip at the sides of the block like the graphic below. Use a much darker color that will accent your medium value fabrics, perhaps a deep/dark rose.
    3. On the plain green floral blocks, add a deep/dark strip of perhaps the dark green in the leaves on 2 opposite sides of that block.
    4. Reassemble the quilt as you pieced it before.
    5. If you have any of the green floral fabric left, make a narrow border all around the top, about 2/3 the width of the cut strips in your blocks.
    6. Add a dark green then a dark rose border.
    7. Bind with the pale pink floral fabric which will be pretty against the dark rose border.

Iím betting youíll love it after this effort because all you really need in it is contrast!

Jan in VA
    Agreed.....the fabrics work, there just isn't any contrast.....add a darker, solid fabric for sashing and I think you will be much happier with the quilt.....yes, it will be more work, but well worth it in the end.

I made a top that I thought I would love, but it turned out so ugly (to me). It reminds me of my grandmother's awful flowered chinz sofa when I was a child. I don't know what to do with it. I have tried to find something to border it, but I have been dissatisfied with all the fabrics I have auditioned. I strongly suspect that is because I find the fabrics so awful when put together. I know, I picked them out and really thought they would be beautiful together . . . what was I thinking?!?! Was I just blind or does this happen to others, too. Does anyone have any suggestions or solutions? I can post a photo of it if necessary. Maybe there's someone out there who will love it, but I can't help but think this will be my first UFO.
    I heard someone saying that they made ugly quilts for the homeless because they don't get stolen. I think you might feel ok if someone was at least using it.
    Judi in Ohio

I wholeheartedly agree that it is ugly. If I wanted to rescue it a bit I'd lose that first border and put some contrast in it. I think it needs to go to a homeless shelter where it will be appreciated.
    Judi in Ohio

Thank you all for your invaluable expertise and input. I will carefully consider each option and if I still think it's ugly, I'll send it to someone who will love it. I don't mind putting in the work, and I WISH I was young enough not to remember when draperies and sofas were made in the big floral patterns, but this just didn't work for me. I'll repost when I have decided on a solution and finished the borders. As for the quilting aspect, that's unfortunately something I don't do at home. As my good friend and class instructor says, "I quilt by check." I was already considering the red/rose colors and also red and yellow. You can't really see the yellow in the photo, but there is a beautiful shade of buttery yellow in the florals. I'll keep the faith and forge ahead. Thanks for your kind words, I don't feel like it's quite so hopeless now. :^)
    Wendy in FL

If I had a dollar for every time I got distracted I wish I had some ice cream.

Quote Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
    Agreed.....the fabrics work, there just isn't any contrast.....add a darker, solid fabric for sashing and I think you will be much happier with the quilt.....yes, it will be more work, but well worth it in the end.
    There's no way on earth I'd rip that quilt apart. The "warm wishes" pattern is nice and doesn't need to be fixed.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

One other possibility------ the square that is framed is the same as the square that isn't, which causes the contrast problem.

IF YOU HAVE more of the rose fabric available, how about FUSSY CUTTING a clump of roses for each framed block and appliqueing the fussy cut. You need to create contrast--------and that might do it.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I agree, add a nice contrasting sashing and it will spring back to life. As quilting mistakes go, this is relatively fixable: the fabrics work well together, they're just too similar in pattern type and value. And if you still don't like it after that (and it's not my style either, though I think it's perfectly respectable in its own way), then donate it to an old people's home or similar. If you're going to donate it, perhaps just tie it instead of paying to have it quilted. Assuming that tied quilts are accepted in those circumstances, of course.

Those warm wishes quilts are fun and fast to make. I don't think yours is ugly at all.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    I agree with Vicki W, dark rose borders will tie in this quilt beautifully. I don't think it is ugly, just need the finishing border and it will be lovely.
    Helen T.

Blog Entries
    I don't think it's ugly at all. Put a couple of solid borders around it. Of course I'm partial to pinks. I also love florals.

I think a deep rose border will tone down some of the flowers...if all else fails....donate it. I have been know to do that with a couple that I really didn't like.
    Tink's Mom (My name is really Susie)

Blog Entries
    I know how it is to make something and then be so unhappy with it. But I think there have been many good suggestions of donating the quilt to a homeless shelter, assisted care facility, or somewhere where it will be appreciated.
    Joyce

Four things you can't recover: The stone.....after the throw. The word......after its said. The occasion.....after its missed. The time......after its gone

Your quilt is not all that bad....I cane see where the busy floral and the larger print don't quit jive....BUT, it is pretty and some little girl will LOVE it!!!! And to 'burchquilts'.....the same message. Little girls love pink. It's definitely a Princess Quilt.
    Linda

OMG, I love it and I think I need you to send it to me because I am feeling whiney and I need some TLC in the shape of your ugly pink quilt top. I will be happy to love it and find borders for it. I will finish it and even QUILT it and give it a happy home. I promise never to whine while I am hugging it.
    Last edited by wildyard; 05-05-2012 at 07:09 PM.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I would like to add that my house would technically qualify as an old folks home as my DH and I are both 65, and I am disabled. We even have one of those chair lift things on our stairs!!
    I am not a child but am fast entering my 2nd childhood which I plan to enjoy much more than I did my first. This quilt would also give me a great start towards princessness, which I missed completely the first time around.
    Linda Wedge White

I believe UFOs are like scraps, ferns and dust bunnies. Once you get two, they send spores out into the air and more just happen anywhere the spores meet.

I would add some white lace around the green squares that aren't bordered by the pink and voila - "shabby chic"

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast