Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: Really Ugly Quilt

Pretty fabrics...What I would have done is sashed all the blocks, half with the pink background floral, the others with the white background floral...then joined them. Also...the floral focal fabric...I would have fussycut it.
    If you really can't handle keeping the quilt...finish it and donate it to a nursing home.
    Marge

Quote Originally Posted by Rubesgirl View Post
    Ok, here's a photo of the ugly quilt.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...t-t188080.html
    Marge Campbell
    TL18LS/Qbot V3 automated quilter
    https://www.facebook.com/campbellsquiltingbymarge

Blog Entries
    If you really dislike it that much you can send it my way because I love it.
    A friend is someone who knows all about you and loves you anyway.

Blog Entries
    It might make a great backing for a reversible quilt.

No it isn't ugly, but a rose color border as was suggested would look good. Thanks for sharing it anyway.

Well, I think it is lovely, I'm one of those "older" quilting ladies who loved my grandmother's table cloths.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I don't think it is ugly. I think it is just a bit muddled. There is not enough contrast between the fabrics. It is disappointing when you work on a quilt and buy the fabric to not have it be the beauty you envisioned. A nursing home would love it though!

Quote Originally Posted by Vicki W View Post
    How about adding a border of the deep rose(a solid or reads solid) and perhaps the green to tone down the flowers.
    I agree, my sister gave me an ugly quilt that she had given up on and I finished it. I sold at an auction for $85 and the non-profit was very happy for donation.

I had wall paper with those same roses......I loved it....for about a week!
    Ardelle
    Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains un-awakened."

It really doesn't matter if anybody else thinks it's ugly if you do. A solid or a Moda marble border would go a long way towards improving it. A friend once told me "Everybody has to make an ugly quilt at least once." Finish it and find somebody that loves it.

I really like it. But I agree it needs a deep rose border with a thin green inner border to give it pop.

It's NOT UGLY! I like Vicky's suggestion of adding rose and/or green additional borders.
    Keep smiling, it makes others wonder what you're up to!

It isn't ugly, but does need some contrast. Maybe you could sew bias tape over the seams between the blocks. That wouls be an easy fix and would separate the blocks some. Then add a couple of solid borders and it would be quite striking. I love those colors, btw!

I like it - have always liked pink and blue together as well as sweet florals. I think it would be treasured by a lot of people. It may be a little overpowering if it's bed size. I don't know how big it is, but if it's 6 ft. long or more, you cut make two baby girl quilts out of it, and they would be wonderful shower gifts. If it's shorter than 6 ft., you could make one baby quilt and maybe a tote bag. You could add a rose red and white striped ruffle or pink eyelet around it (birth it) just to ratchet up the femininity yet another notch. I may have to make one of these if we ever get a granddaughter.

Quote Originally Posted by MimiBug123 View Post
    It isn't ugly, but does need some contrast. Maybe you could sew bias tape over the seams between the blocks. That wouls be an easy fix and would separate the blocks some. Then add a couple of solid borders and it would be quite striking. I love those colors, btw!

That would kill the "warm wishes" pattern, unless that is what the problem is to start with.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I am thinking Victorian quilt. I also think a little green would work. My Mom also had one she call "The Ugly Quilt". Finally finished it, and was offering the neighbor a quilt for helping her. Gave her 3 choices of quilts, neighbor fell in love with UGLY. Never know. BTW. I like your top!!!

Blog Entries
    Takes me back to a gentler time in life where everything moved slower. Would be lovely accent to a bold colored room.

I think a dark, rosy border would be great - and I don't think it's ugly at all!!
    -Chris-
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Blessed are the children of quilters, for they shall inherit the quilts....

It does not do well, Harry, to dwell on the dreams....and forget to live. - Albus Dumbledore

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4