Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recording quilts you've made >

Recording quilts you've made

Recording quilts you've made

Old 03-01-2017, 02:24 AM

When I first started I had visions of making a scrapbook page for each quilt with all the details. It wasn't long before that went by the wayside, just didn't want to take the time to do it proper. Now I at least take a photo of everything I make,not just quilts, and put that picture in a folder on my computer. I organize the photos by year but that is as far as I go. I also try to keep an excel spreadsheet with the name of the project and date completed, I am a behind on that, but at least I have the pictures with the date and can update the spreadsheet.
It is fun to go back and look at the pictures of things I have made and who got them. I always label the picture with the recipient's name. I think the only person who cares about it, is me.
Old 03-01-2017, 03:58 AM

I also have a binder but seem to remember to record only the quilts I've made from a pattern. I haven't recorded any of my baby quilts, scrappies or mystery quilts but I suppose I oughta. ��
Old 03-01-2017, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by dahlshouse View Post
I want to keep track of quilts I have made, the pattern, fabrics used and who they go to, that kind of thing. Oh, and a picture. I can make one up in Word but a template would help.
Any suggestions on this would be great.... I have checked pinterest but what I found was more for project planning,
not to record what was done.
Would love ideas...
I use Quilt Album software and am very pleased with it.
I can print new pages and add to my album as time goes on or enjoy it on the computer.
Old 03-01-2017, 05:04 AM

I'm lucky if I remember to get a pic, little only documenting it. LOL
Old 03-01-2017, 05:23 AM

Thank you all for the great ideas... I am compiling suggestions to see what will work best..
Old 03-01-2017, 06:35 AM

Oops LOL posted twice

Last edited by AZ Jane; 03-01-2017 at 06:37 AM.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:36 AM

You can accomplish the same thing right here under "Albums" I have all my quilts here. Under "My Profile" (up there at the top right corner) You can take picture of your quilts and upload into "albums" (on the left hand side, down just a bit), once uploaded, there is plenty of space to write whatever you want about each album/picture. I try to add pictures of the front, back, label, any specialty quilting, specialty binding. Any thing that suits my fancy. If you decide you forgot to add something, you can go back and add more. I also have a Facebook page I add my quilts to after they have been gifted. Don't forget the date completed!!
Old 03-01-2017, 06:52 AM

I keep my original diagrams, notes about problems encountered, and usually scraps of key fabrics in a notebook.
Old 03-01-2017, 07:25 AM

I found a quilt journal book by Thimble berries years ago at Goodwill, it has pictures of quilts but also areas to write about your quilts. I used to use it religiously and because of this thread realized I haven't updated it in a while!
Old 03-01-2017, 07:51 AM

I take a picture (front and back) and load it in the computer as soon as I finish the quilt. I then list the info about the quilt AND and problems or thoughts I had when making it (idea for different color combo, different technique, different quilting thoughts). I have these loaded on a flash drive. There is no way I will remember the details later on even though, when making it, they were important thoughts. When you get in the habit of doing this, it doesn't take much time and it is a very helpful reference tool.