Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recording quilts you've made >

Recording quilts you've made

Recording quilts you've made

Old 03-02-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by thimblebug6000 View Post
A friend made me a binder with pages similar to this inside. http://www.crystalvisionquilting.com/?attachment_id=605

Here is a pdf that is a similar idea that you can print and use freely it states on the bottom. http://mariaelkins.com/imgs/Quiltmak...umentation.pdf
Thank you for the link. I have been saving photos but not all of the other information. This will be a good on going project. Start now and work on catching up.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:59 AM

Thanks Georgia for suggesting Recollector. My youngest DD chewed me out for not documenting my sewing machine collection and my quilts. I do take pictures and make notes on the machines and quilts. However, not organized in one place. Just got the free download and most likely will purchase after learning to use it.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:05 AM
Power Poster

I never felt the need to document my quilts. I do take a picture of each finished one but that's all.

Last edited by Onebyone; 03-02-2017 at 07:10 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:10 AM

I found an album made just for that purpose at Walmart. Has room for exactly what you need. Picture goes on one side and the remarks on the other side.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:04 AM

victorianaquiltdesigns.com has a nice quilt journal, it has a place for picture and swatches name of quilt and notes.
It use to be free for everyone, but now I see it is free for members & $5 for non- members.
Old 03-03-2017, 06:39 AM
Power Poster

Oh my thanks for sharing this site. So easy. I had information on a project from 12 years ago and entered it. Super easy.
Originally Posted by Sync View Post
I use Quilt Album. Its a free software program that can be found here http://www.quiltalbum.com/ It is really simple to use and you can also add pictures of the quilt. There is a form to add name of quilt, start & finish dates, pattern, designer, batting, quilter, etc. and there is a note section.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SSStitches View Post
I have a binder that I put a photo of the quilt. I write a date and who or where it went. Very basic info.
My approach is very similar except I use a photo album with room to write beside the photos. I put the recipients name, pattern name, date completed and recipient. It's fun to look back and see who got what pattern and when. It also gives a sense of accomplishment.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:15 PM

I am "old fashioned". I have a hard back notebook/journal in which I hand write all the info about my quilt. I include the quilt name, if I used a pattern (name of pattern and designer, also where found [book, magazine, etc.]), and what inspired me to make the quilt. I also include any problems or frustrations I encountered while making it. I take a couple of pictures and include them with the entry. I include fabric snips and the receipts from the fabric. If I entered the quilt in a show, I note that and if it won anything.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by alikigirl View Post
I bought a database software for collections called Recollector. I just love it. It allows you to define the fields you want to keep track of. It creates a data entry screen for those fields. You can have a picklist on a field for most used values (I use this for the various batting types I use). You can display the collection as a spreadsheet, and then sort on any field. I have 1 field I called fabric category, so if I am in the mood to make a string quilt, I can pull up all of the previous string quilts I have made, and quickly be reminded of one I really liked. I also have a field called season, so if I want to display a seasonal wall hanging I can find it. Some of the other things I keep track of are quilt owner, machines used, whether labeled or not, stabilizer used if has machine embroidery, digitizer, of course pattern name and designer or if free from the internet. It does let you keep several images too. I am not affiliated with the software, just a real happy user. It costs $49, and is well worth it. Here is a link. http://www.collectingcatalog.com/
By the way, my DH is a computer programmer and I kept asking him to create something, so he searched on-line and found this and said it is a bargain in relationship to how much time it would have taken him to create.
Georgia in FL
This sounds really cool! I try to keep pictures of the things I've made, but there's no organization to it whatsoever, they're just in with the rest of my photos.
Old 03-08-2017, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by deriz56 View Post
Thanks Georgia for suggesting Recollector. My youngest DD chewed me out for not documenting my sewing machine collection and my quilts. I do take pictures and make notes on the machines and quilts. However, not organized in one place. Just got the free download and most likely will purchase after learning to use it.
I found Recollector very easy to use. What a great idea to record sewing machines too. I think I will do that too.