Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Recycled tablecloth >

Recycled tablecloth

Recycled tablecloth

Old 12-01-2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
There seems to be more interest in cell phones and tablets than in actually making something. I find it very sad that so few people can really do anything with their hands anymore.
Oh, but those fingertips fly across those tiny keyboards! And the creative side of their brain is turning to mush!
Old 12-01-2016, 06:28 AM

I think this is why it is important to teach our grandkids (or kids) how to make something with their hands. If they participate in the making, they will understand what it takes to create it. Maybe not be quite so quick to devalue anything "home made."
And it's not just the younger people. I know lots of grown-a$$ women who can't sew, make a pie crust or grow green beans.
Old 12-01-2016, 07:30 AM

Its so true what you all have said...I grew up with women who sewed, knitted, crocheted and quilted and was given many beautiful things that they made. I have inherited many crocheted doilies and table cloths don't use them but won't get rid of them...my grands had interest in quilting when they were young, now they don't have time....but when older they hopefully it will interest them...so sad
Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 AM

I agree with tranum.....if i sit down a while to watch tv and nothing to do i'm asleep before the program is over. I used to hem clothes and things while tv on but don't do that any more.....i really can't sew or even on the computer/ipad i do better with no tv and it really ticks me off when people have to have tv on 24/7.....some times i may only have tv on maybe 2 hrs. Total in the evening.....
Just recently i finally decided to replace my homemade shower curtain then decided to use it to put a new top on a lap quilt my friend wanted me to repair for her. She tho't it was so clever. She's younger then me a few months and in a nursing home with severe arthritis......
Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 AM

I'm writing with a little different slant on the topic....yes, I do see handmade items available at Goodwill for pennies....but as a baby boomer, trying to downsize, what do I do with all of the quilts and table runners I've made? I look at it as re-gifting it to someone who may not have access to a grandmother who quilts or knits or crochets. As I progress towards decluttering, I've asked my children what they would like....it's precious little from my 30 years of crafting. So I give it away and hope someone else gets to enjoy it.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieF View Post
I'm writing with a little different slant on the topic....yes, I do see handmade items available at Goodwill for pennies....but as a baby boomer, trying to downsize, what do I do with all of the quilts and table runners I've made? I look at it as re-gifting it to someone who may not have access to a grandmother who quilts or knits or crochets. As I progress towards decluttering, I've asked my children what they would like....it's precious little from my 30 years of crafting. So I give it away and hope someone else gets to enjoy it.
I haven't thot of it in that way, but you make a lot of sense. I will also be downsizing soon and wondering what to do with all of my homemade items. My daughters can't take but just so much more than I've already given them.
Old 12-01-2016, 12:04 PM

I recycle and am always thrilled when I hear about anyone else recycling. "waste not; want not!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:27 PM

I have to say, all my nieces and nephews are very creative, AND fast on the internet and with video games! The fact that they can be seen in public typing away on their phones doesn't mean that they are not creative! Their creativity is different than ours (or mine at least!) because the world they are growing up in is different. I can sew, but don't ask me to can or mix my own starch! My grandmother considered those essential skills! They are also very active in their communities, and very politically aware and active. I fear that it is too easy to label someone as not using their creative brain because they do not practice the 'arts' that I practice! There are people young and old who appreciate something made by hand with love, and people of all ages who will think it is just junk, despite the love that goes into it!
Old 12-01-2016, 01:29 PM

I know the pain. Last year I made a quilt for my niece who wAs due to have the first girl in that generation. The girl is six months old, and they have moved up here to Oregon from Texas, and I noticed they did not have the quilt with them. I asked where it was, and was told very blase'ly that her friend liked it so she gave it to her! Grrrrrr! (She did ask if I would teach her to sew, since she is living here now. My revenge with be to have her make the same quilt for her cousin who is expecting....lol!)
Old 12-01-2016, 01:42 PM

When I was in my 20's I bought my first quilt at a thrift store and I was hooked! I would search for them every time I went. No one in my family ever quilted. It wasn't until my 40's that I had the time to sit down and learn how to do it. So, 20 years later, I donated that quilt back to salvation army! Pass it on, any way you can!