Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Renting a long-arm questions >

Renting a long-arm questions

Renting a long-arm questions

Old 05-24-2012, 06:38 AM

You might want to see what system they use for loading their quilts. It may not be an issue if you just want to baste, but if you actually want to quilt- will you be able to unload and reload it? Our store uses a zipper system, so you can quilt in short bursts (they rent 3 hour blocks), but another basically requires you to rent the machine until you are done, paying for the time the quilt "sits" (though not hourly).
Old 05-24-2012, 07:01 AM

I would pay the rent and then just do a meander with real thread all over it. Even the best water soluble thread has to be run at a much slower speed than quilting thread and if it is a finicky longarm--it might not like it at all and you will have spent your rental & learning time fighting with thread that may never work properly. If the longarm is stitch regulated and tension adjusted for the thread--the quilt will look fine when it is finished. Don't expect a masterpiece and I think you'll be pleased with the end result. If it were me--I think I would just make up a large practice sandwich--muslin or cheap yardage--and just doodle all over it. Take it off the frame and cut it up for placemats, potholders, dog beds, etc.
Old 05-24-2012, 07:38 AM

Thanks for the advice. Lots to think about!

I guess it comes down to how I want the finished product to look, and I don't think I could achieve it on a long-arm. I am glad that those of you who "get it" get it! The advice to baste it is good, but I do want to try to learn how to move the machine too! But I'm not going to waste a lot of time/thread trying to learn how to make feathers. The cheap-o side of me can't justify a large practice sandwich, knowing that it's not going to turn out when I have a dozen projects to do by Christmas.

Irony: I could whip up some quick baby quilts on a long arm "in no time" but have no real issues with basting or quilting them.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM

I think the real appeal is that you don't have to baste. $8 an hour is a super price and if you love being there, why not? But I would just quilt it and be done with it rather than doing it again at home.

JMHO

So good luck finding the time! I have a place that rents (at $20 an hour) only 15 min from my house and haven't been able to find the time yet.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned

I would mark my top, take it into the rental longarm and then follow my own pathing. The one thing that is different about longarming, is that you can draw on your quilt top with the machine vs driving the quilt under the needle on a domestic sewing machine. being able to see more of your work while you LA. I hate to see you do double work
Old 05-24-2012, 08:24 AM

My LQS charges $20 an hr to rent their longarm, plus you have to take their 6 hr class for $125 before you can rent it. I've taken their class but haven't rented the longarm. Might think more about renting if it was only $8 an hr.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:28 AM
Power Poster

Congratulations on finding a solution to your inquiry. $8 an hour is a super price in my opinion. Happy LA quilting!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:46 AM

Check with your quilt shop to see if they will even allow you to use dissolving thread in their long arm machine. They may not.
Old 05-26-2012, 03:59 AM

Didn't I see in your original post that you tried loading on a frame & had trouble loading it? Do you already have a frame that will accommodate your DM? If you do, I think you're on to something here. $8/per hr is very reasonable. A certification class will do you a world of good. You'll learn how to load, unload, etc. It will give you practice to move the machine like you were saying. It seems to me you just need some guidance/instruction so that you can come home & do it yourself on the frame you already have. Not only that, it will give you a good bit of knowledge as to whether you want to pursue LA quilting.
I agree with some of the others, try it...you may like it!
Old 05-26-2012, 04:27 AM

At least the hourly rate seems good. Our LQS charges $15 an hour and is a 2 hour drive.