Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Renting a long arm?? >

Renting a long arm??

Renting a long arm??

Old 10-08-2008, 07:44 AM

A quilt shop not too, too far from me is offering classes on a HQ 16. The class size is just 2 people and the price is $100 each. The length of the class is "however long it takes until you are comfortable on the machine." After you have taken the class you can rent the machine for $40/hour, 2 hour minimum. I am going to take the class in January or February and then try my hand at quilting some of my UFOs. IF, and that is a BIG if, I am any good at it, someday I may buy one of my own. But I think this is a great way to try it before I buy.
Old 10-08-2008, 12:58 PM

I took a long-arm quilting class at a LQS....it cost $60. They rent time on the machine for $20/hour. After you take the class, you can "audit" it as many times as you want, but you aren't allowed to actually work on the machine when you audit. I figured that it would take me 2 or 3 hours just to get my quilt on the machine & set up....then however long to quilt it. We did learn to pin the quilt to the rollers & such, but she barely touched on using pantograph patterns. And what do you do if you're only half done & it's closing time? As you can tell, I was very disappointed with the class & the whole setup. I might try again with a friend who has a machine, but not thru' a shop.
Old 10-08-2008, 01:31 PM

too bad we're not all closer to Shelly! it's sounds more like she wants people to learn and enjoy the quilting process than to fill her pockets :wink: so here's a pat on the back for you Shelly, and thanks.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:09 PM

We're located in the middle of nowhere. I really want others to have as much fun as I do. I waited a long time to do this.

We also allow others to come and quilt on the charity quilts that the ladies do on Wednesdays. It's a great way to build techniqe and muscle memory. AND it gets those quilts quilted. Those girls are way too efficient! I think we have about 30 quilts waiting to be worked on. Once I get someone going, it gives me the opportunity to piece on my own stuff, or figure out what to do on a customer quilt. Everyone wins!!!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:33 PM

I wish I could try one out. But it would make better sense to me to use the 2 hour trial at the store. It has to be safer than transporting the machine to aomeone's home, setting it up, getting them started, and then have to take it down again in 2 hours and return it to the store for the next quilter. If rented and used in the store, there would be better use of the time rented also. Better for everyone involved.
Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 AM

the ones I've seen advertised were for using in the store. I doubt if they'd let you take anything that expensive away without a huge deposit, like any other tool rental.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:51 PM
Power Poster

I just started a job learning the longarm. I love it, but I will tell you, it takes time to learn it.

I say go for it, but don't expect to get a quilt quilted in 2 hours at first.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:42 PM

I have rented a Gammill and an HQ at two different shops. All I do is all over meandering and I can finish a king size in 4 hrs. It cost $62 for the king size and they wound the bobbins and told me how to set the quilt up on the rollers. I would go for it, you would be suprised at how you catch on to it and don't forget to BREATH!!!!!!!!!!!! The lady kept telling me that on my first one. Ha Ha!