Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Request Ideas for quilting design on Grand-mother flower please!

Request Ideas for quilting design on Grand-mother flower please!

I would like to hand quilt this GMF. The last one I did, I hand quilted every hexagon inch from the seam. I would love to have some input from my fellow quilters of the board on what would give a good look to this quilt! Thanks for your help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries
    sorry, don't have suggestions. just want to say how beautiful your quilt is!
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

I don't have a suggestion either but I love your quilt. Great job!

The 1/4 inch inside each hexagon is the only way I have ever seen them done, but draw some quilting designs on clear sheets and audition them by placing the design over your quilt. You might find that many other designs would work as well.

Blog Entries
    beautiful work, i'm doing a gfg with epp also, trying to figure out how to finish the borders, thanks for the visual suggestion.

I have seen simple daisy like flowers stitched in each of the flower blocks and it looked very nice. Most of what I've seen however is the quarter inch around each piece.
    jackie

I am not much help, just thinking that any quilting design that goes over the hexegons you will have lots of seams to deal with. If machine quilting not such an issue, but if you are going to hand quilt this one also, may want to consider that in your choosing.

By the way, it is a lovely quilt and great boarder!
    Lisa

Power Poster
    It's a lovely top! How about a spider web effect? Quilt out from all the 60 lines of the center red hexagons. Then quilt a line down the center of the hexagon/circle coloured shapes in rings? The 1/4 inch inside the hexagons is pretty too but a pain to quilt.

Bonjour Lynnie, Thank you for the compliment. Yes, it is an idea that I saw in a Fons and Porter's Love of Quilting magazine (August 2008) You put all the hexagons together, align the border where the hexagons make a full line and trim off the excess of the hexagons. For my information, what do you mean by "epp"?

Don't have any quilting suggestions, but I wanted to tell you that your quilt is beautiful. I love the borders. Good job!!
    Sue

Sorry i don't have suggestions for you, I just want to say how beautiful your quilt is.
    Suzanne
    Asking a seamstress to mend is like asking Picasso to paint your garage.

Quote Originally Posted by greensleeves View Post
    I have seen simple daisy like flowers stitched in each of the flower blocks and it looked very nice. Most of what I've seen however is the quarter inch around each piece.
    I am quilting a GFG quilt now with this type quilting. Because of carpel tunnel, arthritus, poor eyesite, and MS, I no longer am able to do regular hand quilting. For this quilt, I am using a larger needle that is easier to hold, and I can actually see the eye of the needle! I'm using embrodery floss. I am liking it a lot. Would post a photo if I knew how! I also tied a GFG. Used embrodery floss to match the fabircs and tied in each hex. That picture is in the photo gallery. (DD posted that photo for me!) By the way, your GFG is beautiful!

EPP English Paper Piecing.

I love your GFG. Such soft colors!
    Bev
    My initials are BB, so dublb is double B.

So beautiful!

So pretty, thanks for sharing.
    Karen in CA
    Babylock Ellisimo, Babylock Enlighten Serger, Janome 6600, Janome 760 for travel

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    EPP English Paper Piecing.

I love your GFG. Such soft colors!

Thanks Bev... I bought the Hoffman batiks Ceylon bundle and that's the result! EPP! Of course!! Makes sense!!

I think I would use the same design as the gmf that you did prior. I've not seen any other hand quilted designs on a gmf other than the one you did, either. Good luck & please share your finished product.
    Alma
    Nami to 6

Found!!!

I would like to thank everybody that helped me in my creative process. I finally decided on what is shown below. Thanks to you and my EQ7 I'm sure of what the outcome will look like. Thank you also for the kind words regarding my quilt.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cathou View Post
    I would like to thank everybody that helped me in my creative process. I finally decided on what is shown below. Thanks to you and my EQ7 I'm sure of what the outcome will look like. Thank you also for the kind words regarding my quilt.
    That's gonna come out great! Are you going to quilt it by hand or machine? Either way it will be beautiful!
    Bev

Quote Originally Posted by dublb View Post
    That's gonna come out great! Are you going to quilt it by hand or machine? Either way it will be beautiful!
    Thanks Bev. The hexagons by hand and the border by machine in free motion... stay tuned to see the result... in a year or two Ha Ha Ha Ha!

It'll be lovely! Be sure & post a link on this thread so that we can see whenever you do get it done. OK?
    Bev

As ask by Bev, better known as dublb, here is the link to the final product!

http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...e-t214882.html

What a beautiful quilt. I quilted mine like your first one. I can't wait to see what others suggest. I like the spider web idea.

littlehud - Look at the post above your's. She just posted the link ta the finished quilt. It's awesome!
    Bev

If you want to do something other than the 1/4", I would suggest a flower within each flower. It would really do for the continuity of the quilt while not taking away from the pattern itself.

Rosie the Wyldwytch
    Grab a bull by the horns and enjoy the ride....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast