Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Rescue" projects - >

"Rescue" projects -

"Rescue" projects -

Old 06-01-2017, 03:23 AM

I have found that finishing someone else's work is frustrating. One of the reasons I don't participate in block exchanges - they never seem to be the right size. That said I am presently working on a baby quilt started by a friend for her grandchild that she couldn't finish - but it's a labor of love.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:14 AM

I always have plenty of orphan blocks and UFOs of my own since I like to experiment with piecing, sewing, etc. When I'm in one of those "what would happen if" moods I grab my stash of experiments and uglies and start cutting them up and putting them back together--- I've had a lot of fun doing that and have ended up with some interesting quilts as a result.

Rob
Old 06-01-2017, 05:45 AM

Since I have been running the donations part of the Quilt Museum, I have been cured of "needing" every fabric! I can now sort the donations and put them out for sale or bag them as scraps or sell them as tops. Being able to sort them, pat them and put some aside to admire takes the immediate desire away long enough for the next donation to arrive. Maybe "renting" out the prettiest pieces for a month or so would also do the trick!
Attached Thumbnails img_2743.jpg   img_2747.jpg  
Old 06-01-2017, 06:14 AM

I am a fairly new quilter, now just 10 years. I used to pick up all kinds of cotton fabrics and quilt tops and blocks. Now I have way too many to ever finish so now I am much more selective when I see something for sale. I did buy two quilt tops this past winter at a thrift store, will sell one and keep one. I did recently buy some lovely hand cross stitched quilt blocks for a good price and will put them together. The rest in my stash I will sell someday when I get my house straight after this recent move.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:48 AM

It's some kind of "fabric illness".......wanting to rescue unwanted quilts in need and other's discarded fabric!! I don't think there's a cure!! ☺️

Last edited by Billy'swife; 06-01-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-01-2017, 11:32 AM

Love Your "Textile Collection" discription..

Originally Posted by luvstoquilt View Post
I donated a lot of fabric to a church and I will admit it was hard to do. I realized I have had a lot of that fabric for several years and if I haven't used it by now I most likely will not. Now several months later I don't miss it. I do have a hard time walking away from an old quilt at an estate sale or yard sale. I have a great stash which I now prefer to call my "textile collection".
Old 06-01-2017, 02:42 PM

I am a recipient of others good intentions by receiving orphan projects at my church quilt ministry. If it were my choice I would kindly turn them down. Orphan blocks have been orphaned for a reason, a part turned or cut wrong, no more fabric to repair it. Cut at a strange size needing to be upsized. Someone waiting to see their donation made into something beautiful with no matching the colors. I can make from scratch faster than figuring how to incorporate the wonky donations.
Please understand I appreciate others generosity. They have good intentions, just no understanding of what they are asking.
Estate sales are a different story. Purchasing from a former quilter has garnered many wonderful goodies.
Old 06-03-2017, 12:28 PM

I have bought a few unfinished quilts but only because I loved the quilt and I wanted to rescue it. I am very pleased with a strip log cabin
quilt top that had been used a drop cloth when someone was painting. It was hand pieced from feed sacks and I was horrified at the abuse it had taken. I replaced some of the pieces. Added borders and then quilted it. I get more compliments on that quilt and I love to think the original maker is happy to know that someone appreciates and enjoys all of the hard work she did.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:45 PM

Fabric galore-would love to see a picture of that feed sack log cabin!!
Old 06-03-2017, 04:14 PM

I was proud of myself for not opening my mouth. A coworker asked if quilts that had rat damage could be used for anything. I told him it could be cut into smaller lap quilts or used to make bears. I did not offer to do the work myself. I have way too many project now.