Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
"Rescue" projects - >

"Rescue" projects -

"Rescue" projects -

Old 06-04-2017, 05:24 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cjsews View Post
I was proud of myself for not opening my mouth. A coworker asked if quilts that had rat damage could be used for anything. I told him it could be cut into smaller lap quilts or used to make bears. I did not offer to do the work myself. I have way too many project now.
I am proud of you, too!
Old 06-16-2017, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Nesie View Post
Fabric galore-would love to see a picture of that feed sack log cabin!!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574717[/ATTACH]EVery center of each block is made up of 2-4 scraps of cloth and every row around the log cabin is scrap pieced. Some are triangles, squares or 2 narrow half-square triangles. The maker of this quilt used the smallest pieces of her stash to hand piece this quilt. I attached the borders and quilted it. It is one of my family's favorites.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]574718[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails scrappy-log-cabin-quilt-1.jpg   border-scrappy-quilt-1.jpg  
Old 06-16-2017, 10:41 AM

Default Thank You!!!!!

I needed this thread....thank you so much to whomever started it. I have a problem with fabric......I love it......you can tell a good quality cotton from the feel...The quilt shop is a sensory heaven!.. I also have friends that know that I sew quilts. To them, any piece of fabric is a good thing to pass on to me. I love to start new projects by getting just the right shades and patterns of fabrics. I haven't been able to do that forever because of the guilt I have from the pieces that have been given to me. I have worked through the larger pieces and during a cold winter, I cut enough 2.5 inch strips to make 3 of the ugliest quilts I have ever seen....People thought they were awesome because they were unique......now I have more fabric. I have a banana box (you know, the ones bananas are shipped in) full of 5.5 inch squares. Someone knew someone who loved fabric, too. she bought it when it was on sale at joann's, walmart, wherever and lovingly cut it into these squares, fastened them together, and wrote where it was purchased and how many squares of each color.....but, some of the fabric is not very good quality, the colors are not exciting, and each square was traced with a sharpie so they need trimmed again to get rid of the sharpie. More work to use these than if I went and bought a yard and cut them myself. I just need them to disappear so that I can use MY ideas and fabrics. I think I'll hold a yardsale .............no..........I just can't do that to someone else.........they'll leave next week......I don't know where they'll go......but they'll go....It's time.
Old 06-16-2017, 12:10 PM

I belong to a huge charity group that gets more donations than anyone can imagine. We have alot of older quilters in Phoenix who pass away or move to assisted living. I would toss way more than others do as I see things sitting there from ages ago. It is not the depression and we have shelves and shelves of beautiful fabrics.

It is fascinating to see what people have kept. We have fabric from the 80's with that date on the selvedge. Ugly misshapen blocks made with see through fabric-miscut 2 1/2 squares--curtains--icky scratchy yarn-pattern pieces for clothing pinned onto fabric just to name a few. The families just put everything in bags and boxes and take it to the church were we meet. It takes the burden off them and we can find places for some of the odd ball stuff. Sometimes it is dog beds for the shelter.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:19 PM

I have learned that some projects are not worth finishing. After receiving a friend's mom's stash, I finished 5 quilt projects and gave them back to her. After that, they just weren't worth finishing. Poor fabric quality of the 70s. Lots of broken threads. Last week I put the last of it on the free table. Someone took it. As we say in the South, Bless Her Heart.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:59 PM
Banned

I spent a good many years sewing on other peoples' stuff. I don't want to do that any more.
Old 09-02-2017, 08:20 PM

I enjoy rescuing mistreated quilts, sometimes unfinished tops, blocks to put together---if and only if I find them lovable. No sleazy, cheesy, mish-mash of fabrics or boring patterns, please. I enjoyed finishing and blanket stitching a Dresden plate top and a daisy top from blocks and partial blocks and pieces begun by a friend's grandmother and mother when he was expected in 1934. I like the connection to the makers even if it exists only in my own mind.
Old 09-02-2017, 09:37 PM

I bought some scrappy rail fence quilt tops at a garage sale thinking I would finish them for the church bazaar. They were made by 'Grandma' who has recently passed away. When I got them out at a quilt meeting, I discovered the tension on Grandma's machine was terrible and they would have to totally resewn. Not by me! Another person took them home to fix and I haven't seen them since. That's fine with me. I'd have a hard timing pitching them if they come back. Salvation Army? Someone might enjoy redoing them - the colors were good.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:50 AM
Power Poster

I give all of you a lot of credit. I don't like to buy anyone else's stuff unless it's a friend of mine or something like that. I don't go to yard sales b/c I'm trying to minimize what I have in my house and that's just not the way to go about it
I used to do things like that but no more. I like having less stuff these days.
I'm even resisting looking for old machines. I was getting obsessive!
And forget old sheets. That gives me the creeps! (unless they're mine)
Old 09-03-2017, 06:51 AM

Thanks for starting this thread. I'm one of those people who has a hard time leaving an orphaned quilt top or blocks. Whomever said it takes twice as much time than if you started from scratch is right. Trying to straighten up someone else's mess is very time consuming. I have 2 UFO's that I picked up at estate sales, but have not finished either one of them. One is a 1/2 made quilt top of gorgeous Dresden plate blocks. I've taken it apart, squared the blocks and bought new sashing for it. I will finish that one. The other is a crooked red mess that I've spent way too much time on, trying to make it look right. I have so much time invested in that one, I'm reluctant to walk away.

I'd buy that Dresden plate thing again, without a doubt. I'd leave that red thing.

So, thanks for the lessons, ladies and gents. I hope I remember it at the next estate sale.

bkay

The Dresden plate thingy - Each block is a different bright color. There are a couple that are almost duplicates, but generally, each is unique. There are reds, blues, yellow, greens and purples. I really enjoy looking at it. Hopefully, I'll tackle it soon. Of course, it may end up being sold at my estate sale, too.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]579983[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]579984[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails dsc_0530.jpg   dsc_0531.jpg