Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Review of Westalee Rulers Course >

Review of Westalee Rulers Course

Review of Westalee Rulers Course

Old 10-24-2017, 05:42 AM

Thank you for the class review! I'm just learning ruler work myself - not taking any classes, just sort of winging it, having fun in the process. I'm surprised at how few good books there are on the subject. There are 100 million FMQ and general quilting books (I counted), but so far only found a couple short booklets on ruler work.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:40 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for the review Watson .... for beginning results, I would say that you are well on the way to great results. Keep up the great work and I will look forward to seeing your continued progres.

I agree with you, the success of the class would be dependent on the course instructor.
Any class, for that matter, not just this Westalee one.

Which makes me wonder, and want to ask you ..... are the instructors "certified" or trained by Westalee, so that those taking a class, know that they are getting someone skilled? Or can anyone do it, and just use the videos as their support and in essence, the training?

Wondering further .... it seems that there are so many stores offering the Westalee classes right now. Perhaps there are one or two people here in the province who are doing all the classes? Or as above, it's the in-thing, and the classes are being offered to boost their ruler sales, yet the instructor does not have the experience.

Being that you are "somewhat" local to me, would you please share which shop you did your lessons at?
Also, who the specific instructor was? thinking here, that if s/he were teaching at another shop closer or dates/time better for me, that would be good to know.

If I decide to take one of these classes ... it would be good to know, whose classes are well-worth attending and not turn into a disastrous regretful experience!

THANKS!
Old 10-24-2017, 09:57 AM

QuiltE, I took the class at Sew Creative in Mount Brydges from the owner, Joan. I know she has taken classes directly from Leonie of Westalee. Joan was fantastic and really knowledgeable.

Watson
Old 10-24-2017, 10:16 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
QuiltE, I took the class at Sew Creative in Mount Brydges from the owner, Joan. I know she has taken classes directly from Leonie of Westalee. Joan was fantastic and really knowledgeable.

Watson
Thanks Watson! ... I always enjoy visits with Joan when I get to her store.
Sadly, just too far to be there on a regular basis, but always such a nice treat.
She's a perfect example of someone who took a risk and went with her heart and passion to operate Sew Creative.

Funny how some stores always seem to have things I "want/need" ...
this is one of those that I can always count on to walk out with arms full!
That, and it's nearest neighbour, The Marsh!
All credit to them, for working together as much as they do, too.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:47 AM

Your blocks look great. I just ordered the ruler and foot starter set - can't wait to get them.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

Watson, Thanks so much for the great review. And I love what you've done! Glad you're enjoying it. Maybe on my list someday (when I get better at FMQ) I am so intimidated by it, as I've been a hand quilter for my entire quilting life.
Old 10-24-2017, 06:23 PM

Wow, your work looks wonderful! I need to search out your other post to see what model/type of sewing machine you are working on.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Watson View Post
Rob, the only one that didn't come with the set, was the circles on the light turquoise. I did that with my own Circles on Quilts ruler because I missed that class.
We didn't use the book, just the video.
The spacer gauge is a small tool that has different widths on it so that you can accurately space how far apart things are on your quilt. https://www.punchwithjudy.com.au/sho...-Westalee.html It's especially useful for doing long 1/4" lines.
The crosshair square ruler was the surprise purchase, what I called the marking ruler, but you really needed it to get your landmarks in the right spot for the designs. http://ribbonrose.co.nz/catalogue/pr...riety-markers/ Be careful with this as it breaks REALLY easily.

Watson
thanks for the answers and links!
Old 10-25-2017, 04:16 AM

I appreciate your review because I am trying to learn to use my new ruler foot and the basic arc ruler. Your results are simply wonderful.
Old 10-25-2017, 05:21 AM

Thanks Watson for the reviews of the class. I have the ruler set and have been playing around with them, but I think I would really benefit from a class. I need to look into one in my area.