Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Road to California

Just curious as to how many of you might be going to this quilt show. ONE day, I'll make it.

Wow. That looks like a big show. I live in Northern CA so I'm out. It would be probably a 7 hr. drive for me. Maybe some day!

Banned
    I'm going! Probably on Sunday, as that's the only day I have free.

I've gone for years. There were many years when it was a really good show with a lot of innovative and inspiring quilts. The last few years have been more vendors (including ring cleaners) than quilts, but I still go in hopes of seeing that one quilt that will truly inspire me.
    If you are traveling to get to Southern California, I would suggest holding out for the show in Long Beach.
    http://www.quilts.com/home/shows/vie...SummerFestival
    It is at least four times the size, and the last 2 years it has had some international and professional quilts that were quite amazing.

I will be going for 2 days. I hope to take the metal to metal hand quilting class using the Aunt Becky. I missed the sign up deadline, so have to wait until I get there on Thursday. I have been corresponding by email with Jean Brown, she said if I didn't get into one of her classes, she will be glad to show me at her booth. Can't wait. It will be so nice to stay for a couple of night so we can take our time.

Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I've gone for years. There were many years when it was a really good show with a lot of innovative and inspiring quilts. The last few years have been more vendors (including ring cleaners) than quilts, but I still go in hopes of seeing that one quilt that will truly inspire me.
    If you are traveling to get to Southern California, I would suggest holding out for the show in Long Beach.
    It is at least four times the size, and the last 2 years it has had some international and professional quilts that were quite amazing.
    I've only been to 2 local quilt shows so I'm not familiar with how good or not so good the larger quilt shows are. Last I heard, the Long Beach quilt show is more about art quilts. Is that true?

The only thing I don't like about the Road2California show is they limit the vendor, so their are no duplicate products. The Long beach show you will find a lot of vendors with similar items. My friend is in the market for a Mid arm and wanted to be able to compare, we understand this will probably not be possible in Ontario. We talked to one of the Mid arm vendors last year at Long Beach and she is the one that told us she is not permitted because their is already a vendor their with Mid arms.

Quote Originally Posted by jacquemoe
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjpf
    I've only been to 2 local quilt shows so I'm not familiar with how good or not so good the larger quilt shows are. Last I heard, the Long Beach quilt show is more about art quilts. Is that true?
    Yes - quite a lot of art quilts, but I find it interesting to see the professionals work that is for sale. You really could take one day for looking at the quilts and an entire other day for the vendors. The only one I've been to that is larger is the Pacific International that is in the San Francisco Bay Area in October.

I wish I could, but too far.

Blog Entries
    Where is it held? I drive the California roads every day, lol

Quote Originally Posted by MadQuilter
    Where is it held? I drive the California roads every day, lol
    The Pacific International is in Santa Clara right by the Six Flags amusement park. It is huge and has wonderful work from all over the world.
    Here's the link.
    http://www.quiltfest.com/activities.asp?id=7

The Road to California is in Ontario.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shaverg
    gets on googlemap and realizes "That's by LA" - sighs heavily and wanders off to wait for another venue.

I'll be there Saturday. It's a really good show--you should come, Jackie! It's not far from the Ontario Airport--you could go home the same day!

Sorry, where is Elverta Caifornia?
    gets on googlemap and realizes "That's by LA" - sighs heavily and wanders off to wait for another venue.

I am looking so forward to the show. Taking a day off work to go. Would love to meet some people from this board. It would be nice to put a face to the name. I will be there on Friday and Saturday.
    Melanie

I have been for the last 6 years in a row. I want so badly to go!!! I had surgery 2 month ago and I know that I am not able to make it very far around the show. Unfortunately they are not good at placing chairs around for people to sit in. It is killing me not being able to go but I know my limitations. My friends aren't going to go either, one of them is having knee replacement surgery on the 10th of Feb and can't walk far at all.
    Next year!!! I am going next year. We will try and get a group together to go to the International Quilt Festival in Long Beach in July!

Blog Entries
    I'm a lucky girl!!! I get to go on Saturday. Our guild will have our opportunity quilt there to sell raffle tickets, so I am on the list to do White Glove service from 4:00-6:00 on Saturday. Look for me!!! And be sure you buy some raffle tickets for the Cotton Patch Quilters of Kern opportunity quilt....it's a beautiful floral applique quilt. Beautiful!!!!

Blog Entries
    I have seen many vendors at RtoC with same products....many mid-arm and long arm companies there.

I will be there on Thursday. Already have my ticket!

judee

Good. I am hoping. We really want to be able to compare some of the Mid Arms.

I just know we have been told by two of the vendors from Long Beach, they were not allowed to show at the Ontario show, because their were already vendors with similar products.
    Quote Originally Posted by jljack
    I have seen many vendors at RtoC with same products....many mid-arm and long arm companies there.

The only thing I don't like about the Road2California show is they limit the vendor, so their are no duplicate products. The Long beach show you will find a lot of vendors with similar items. My friend is in the market for a Mid arm and wanted to be able to compare, we understand this will probably not be possible in Ontario. We talked to one of the Mid arm vendors last year at Long Beach and she is the one that told us she is not permitted because their is already a vendor their with Mid arms.
    Don't know who told you that, but they have always had several different mid arms and long arms there. I love all the vendors, am not excited by the "art quilts" at all, I am a traditionalist I guess. I like quilts that look like quilts. I've been there every year, live only about 40 minutes away. I will be there on Friday this year, going with friends from class. We usually white glove, but are taking this year off. :)
    We really should figure out a way to meet up, maybe next year we can set up a day and place in the building. I know, we should make up a logo and print it out and wear it on our shirts so we know we are from the Quilting Board, hey, next year lets all do it!

One of the vendors that was selling only mid arms at the Long Beach show, that had tried to get in to Ontario. We also hear it from one of the vendors selling batting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pats8e8
    Don't know who told you that, but they have always had several different mid arms and long arms there. I love all the vendors, am not excited by the "art quilts" at all, I am a traditionalist I guess. I like quilts that look like quilts. I've been there every year, live only about 40 minutes away. I will be there on Friday this year, going with friends from class. We usually white glove, but are taking this year off. :)
    We really should figure out a way to meet up, maybe next year we can set up a day and place in the building. I know, we should make up a logo and print it out and wear it on our shirts so we know we are from the Quilting Board, hey, next year lets all do it!

Santa Clara is only about a two and a half hour drive for you, so see you in October?

"We really should figure out a way to meet up, maybe next year we can set up a day and place in the building. I know, we should make up a logo and print it out and wear it on our shirts so we know we are from the Quilting Board, hey, next year lets all do it!"

I think that's a great idea. Ahead of time we should coordinate a meeting place for each day of the show that more than one of us is going to be there and meet up for lunch or snack or something. I usually go both Friday and Saturday. It is really hard on me right now, I want to go so badly!!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast