Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Rotary cutting,....ugh....

overstock.com has them too. I don't think they make the longer one anymore.

I think you already found this out but I had problems like you before I was told to ALWAYS cut and measure using same side of lines on the ruler. If the squared up side of your fabric is to the right of 3" (example) line, make sure that all cuts are made from that same place. Worked for me, maybe it will help you a little in addition to the other recommendations. Good luck and don't give up.

It cuts up to 24" but is a little bit longer. I'll keep my eyes out just in case. You might call Nancy's Notions as well. Sometimes things are no longer listed on web sites but are still in the warehouse (usually when there are only a couple left and the company is afraid of being unable to fill orders).

Quote Originally Posted by lab fairy
    It cuts up to 24" but is a little bit longer. I'll keep my eyes out just in case. You might call Nancy's Notions as well. Sometimes things are no longer listed on web sites but are still in the warehouse (usually when there are only a couple left and the company is afraid of being unable to fill orders).
    Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do just that! I am on a mission!

to Stevanib, I went in to buy a 1/4 inch foot for my Viking and low and behold she sold me one that was not 1/4. I learned to put a foot on my machine and put a tape measure down under it and set the needle on a inch mark and set the pressure foot down and see exactly where your foot rest. Mine was off 1/16 off. I now have a proper foot.
    Angeline

If it is a cutting problem, make sure you are standing straight over your fabric and looking straight down. also make sure the blade is screwed in tightly if it is wobbably (sp?) at all you will be off on your cut. If it is a sewing problem, make sure you use a machine gulde that screws into your deck of your machine, or at least a foot that has a qtr inch side to it. Keep trying...Use bigger pieces they then to be more forgiving. I just spent all afternoon picking out stiches on 6 lengths of fabric, because I didn't follow my own advice and put the fabric guilde on the machine. I guess I'm a slow learner too.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I am having problems! I've been practicing and practicing my rotary cutting and somehow its still "off".

I've searched all the threads on here, follow all the tips and still when I put my blocks together, they still aren't exact.

I put some sandpaper on the back of my rulers yesterday and that helped a lot with it slipping. I starch the crap out of everything. I'm really careful when cutting, and only cut one layer at a time.

And I am STILL getting blocks that aren't right! They look fine on my mat but, when I go to put two together to sew them, they are different!

What am I doing? Or not doing?

Sounds like the only thing left to consider is your 1/4" seam allowance. I know that was hard for me in the beginning since I didn't realize how important it was. After making an extremely bad quilt top, I discovered how to get those seams right. I used sev. kinds of measurement tools til I developed an eye for it. I still double ck my seams as I go.

Also look at your cutting surface/table. Is it the right height? Are you leaning over it and cutting awkwardly?

I have found that having a smaller cutting table at the right height is best for me. It holds the 17x23 Martelli mat perfectly and I cna literally walk around whatever I am cutting. BTW, my sutting is a portable and collapsible kitchen center [I took the knife holder off it.]

ali

Blog Entries
    Are you sitting while you cut your fabric or are you standing up to cut. I can not get my blocks to work right if I sit while cutting them out. Which I have done on some in the past and they are always wrong. If I stand over my mat when I am cutting, and keep the cutter vertically- no slant, holding the blade so it is just touching the ruler edge, I have good success. Everyone else may not do theirs this way and what may work for one may not work for you. But there are so many ideas given here that you can try. I would recommend practicing on some very inexpensive fabric or lots of scraps, until you are comfortable with working with a rotary cutter, and you can get you blocks the way you want them.

Blog Entries
    Are we talking about a tiny fraction of an inch.. or a few threads different? or something larger..

One of the things that can cause you to have slightly differing cuts is that fabrics are different.. or sometimes they fabric isn't truely square.. so a perfectly cut block might lean a bit one way or the other..

Also once a block is cut we pick it up move it here and there.. perhaps press it.. Fabric is not stable.. it can and does move.. some more than others.. wood is stable.. you cut one inch.. you have one inch.. fabric gives, so it can be a tiny smig off.. .

I would say if it's only a tiny bit.. a few threads.. or the lean of the block.. don't worry.. when you sew and press and square up your blocks, all will work out just fine! Remember quilting is FUN, and RELAXING, not something to frustrate and irritate you..

I had trouble cutting different sizes as well till I figured out I was using two different rulers. One has the 1/4 inch added to the ruler in blue and the other ruler didn't have the 1/4 inch. When I get ready to sew I use the ruler with the 1/4 inch in blue to make sure my needle is in the 1/4 inch position to sew.

I agree with QuilterGuy - cut 1/8 to 1/4 inch larger square than needed - Sew your HST then square up to the correct measurements - some quilters use 1/2" larger, but I feel that is more waste than necessary. When squaring up you are also cutting off the dog ears so two jobs for one. Good luck.

I have a little suction handle on my ruler so I can pick it up straight and not let it slide on the fabric when I have to move it for another cut. It really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Up North
    It may not be your cutting, It may be your seams.
    That was my thought also when she said they looked right on the mat. Maybe your needle needs to be moved left or right a notch or two. good luck.

Another thing to remember when you rotary cut is to always have one finger from the hand holding the ruler on the fabric! It's usually the pinkie. This helps stabilize the ruler.

Hi, I am fairly new to the board, however, at our local quilt guild they taught us not to pay attention to the measurements on our cutting mat because they are not always accurate. They taught us that if the measurement on the mat is off by only 1/16", the quilt block will be off because you are multiplying that 1/16" by each piece you cut. Soon you could be off by 1/4" or more. They said to pay attention to the measurement on your cutting ruler. Does this make sense? I have found it to be much more accurate. Hope this helps you.

Blog Entries
    yes Twinkie ;you are absolutely correct.

Blog Entries
    Believe it or not, I found that my cutting mat measurements were off!! Not too long ago I started using a 36x24 inch Fiskars cutting board, and was using the inch marks to line up my fabric to make cuts. Well, when my blocks were screwy--which has never happened before, I finally measured my ruler against the cutting mat--and found that the cutting mat was off 1/4 inch by the time the mat reached 18 inches!! I measured my cutting ruler against other rulers, and the ruler was spot-on in its measurements. It was the mat that was not accurate!! Grrr. So now I don't use the mat to make cutting measurements, I just use it as a mat.

I found like some of the other posts, that I don't always put the line on the ruler on exactly the same place on the edge of the fabric and that makes things off just a bit. I keep trying though!

Blog Entries
    I don't think this has been mentioned but it's very important. If your cutting a piece of fabric 4 inches wide then every fourth cut you have to re straighten the edge. 6 inch width cut, re straighten every sixth cut and so forth. At least check to see if it is exactly straight after every few cuts. I always had to re cut to get a straight edge after cutting a few strips. I bought the Go because I was tired of spending time cutting and being frustrated and making it work anyway.

I don't wash my fabrics on the most part and I get a perfect cut all the time. There is no need to pre-wash fabrics unless you are using flannel (because it shrinks too much) or a really red with a light color just in case. ALL fabric is washed at the dye houses, usually with Tide, before the industrial rolls are sent off to be cut into bolts. Now I have a 99cent/yd store near me that are end cuts from a dress making factory, etc. They do get great quilt & clothing fabrics in but the place is filthy so I wash that fabric before it hits my sewing room! I do notice a difference in cutting and everything with it having been washed.

Probably already covered this, but HST's need to be slightly larger than the square size you want to end up with. Here's a link to some estimator charts:

http://sentimentalstitches.net/instr...res-triangles/

Blog Entries
    You are measuring with the ruler and not the lines on the mat.....right?

Someone told me to use a "scant" 1/4 inch seam. Sew a 1/4" seam, then move your needle to the right one notch. This should be a scant. If you are making blocks, you can then square them. I do know what you mean. After I cut one length, I check the remaining material with my ruler to make sure it is square, if not, square it again before you cut another length. I hope that this makes sense. Rulers can move on you when you are cutting. Is the table you are cutting on, flat? I noticed that my cutting board does have a dip in it.

Quote Originally Posted by stefanib123
    I have been holding my cutter at an angle! I was trying to get it as "close" to the ruler as I could, kwim?

Hm...That may be the problem.

The reason I am only cutting one layer is I'm afraid! LOL! I was thinking if I was messing up one layer, I didn't want to mess them all up! LOL!
    I have a question for you- how do you cut your fabric with the Cricut? I have read about it and tried once without success. Maybe you can help me?
    Thanks.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 LastLast