Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: rotating cutting mats

Well, I thought I had wasted my money at first...now I'm making a quilt with tons of flying geese, it just paid for itself!

I have three sizes and use them all the time. Right now I am doing a quilt that is all half square triangles and it make it so much easier to square them up.

I don't have one yet, but I know that they are fantastic for cutting small pieces and trimming paper pieced items. I just haven't gotten to Joann's to grab one yet

Really like mine....don't use it all the time but when I do, I am glad I have it!!!
    There is no place like home!

RugosaB, I love your turntable that your hubby made for you. I have a small Fiskar and a larger Olfa revolving mat. The pivoting center of the Olfa was too thick and I had to cut a piece to fit around and glue it to the section the center fit into in order to thicken it enough so it would turn right. I use both mats a lot. I'd prefer something like your turntable.

Mine is either 12 or 14"....I think 12. I love it and use it frequently. I think a rotating mat would be well worth your money, especially if you bought it with coupon. I put my mat on my Xmas list back when I first got back into sewing/quilting several years ago and my dad and step-mom got it for me along with some other items I was asking for. Do you have a birthday or anniv coming up? My DH and kids always know there is probably something I want/need. I think you would like a rotating mat.

I love my Olfa revolving mats. I tried another brand and found it bulky.

Blog Entries
    I love mine. I use it a lot, especially when cutting with plastic templates.

I have the Fiskars 14" one and I use it fairly often! Great for squaring up blocks.

I have one. I'm doing a disappearing 4 patch and I have to make two cuts one direction and then two cuts another direction, without disturbing the block, so it is very helpful for that purpose. I don't know how much it will get used once this quilt is done.

I have the 12x12 rotating mat and aside from the fact the black back came off, I just put it back together - it is basically a lazy-susan.

I use that and the (my) new 18x24 virtually anywhere - in the sewing room on the table, desk, ironing board - - and downstairs on the dining room table if I have a project down there - - - and yes, I have a 24x36 but that stays upstairs on a dedicated cutting table. You don't always have to cut on them, sometimes they are handy if you are drawing a design, all kinds of stuff - the visual measurements work a lot to your favor.

Marysewfun
    Marysewfun
    Have a great day!

Blog Entries
    I have both sizes and love them, and I am learning more uses . Thanks

Have the Olfa and keep it beside my sewing machine and use it all the time...

I have both Olfa rotating mats and love them! Use the bigger one in my sewing room and use the other in class.

Quote Originally Posted by LivelyLady View Post
    I use mine all the time....it's so handy for squaring up. As it is pretty well worn, I'm going to buy another to replace it.
    An idea for you. I had also worn through my smaller Olfa rotating mat. But, I had an extra, pink Olfa mat that I had bought on clearance some time back. Super glued it right over top of the original rotating mat. Then I cut the pink mat (used kitchen shears). Stacked several heavy books on top and let sit overnight. Worked perfectly! And I have the only pink rotating mat in my group!
    Have a happy day,

Fran

I have a small one that I love for trimming up squares.

Blog Entries
    I really like mine because I can't get to two sides of my cutting table due to small space and too much stuff.
    sewellie

It takes real skill to choke on air, fall upstairs and trip over completely nothing .... I have that skill!!!

My plate may be full, but my cup runneth over with blessings.

I have a small one and love it , I would like to buy the bigger one as well.

Rotating Cutting Mat

I have the round rotating cutting mat from Martelli. The one I purchased also has a round ironing board/surface that goes on top of the rotating cutting board. I really like it, and purchased it when Martelli had a half-price sale online.

Quote Originally Posted by bea2 View Post
    Do you have a rotating cutting mat ? If so, what do you think about it..are they any good? I'm thinking of getting one but want to see your opinions first.
    Thank you

Rotating Cutting Mat

Quote Originally Posted by bea2 View Post
    Do you have a rotating cutting mat ? If so, what do you think about it..are they any good? I'm thinking of getting one but want to see your opinions first.
    Thank you
    I have the square Olfa rotating mat. I use it for specific applications, but not all the time. I find it a handy tool to have.

I made my own, love it

I have an Olfa 12" rotating mat and it's good if I'm working with very limited space or doing some light trimming, but I prefer my big Olfa 24" x 36" mat with a big non-skid ruler. I also bought "puzzle mats" from JoAnn's which are 12-1' square plastic mats that fit together to make the size you need, but I hate them. Probably more so because they are not self healing and I cut with a heavy hand.

What a great tool. I use mine every day.

Blog Entries
    I like mine especially for trimming and paper piecing. I leave mine out on a table by the machine so it is handy and my bigger mats for cutting at on the big dining room table permanently. When I want to use the table for eating I just cover them with a plastic table cloth and then my cloth one and voila no one knows it is there except me. I do not have a sewing room with a cutting table etc. but this works well for me.

I had a large lazy Susan. I put a board on it, taped it down and laid a small rotary mat on top. I use when I need to and it works just fine for me.

Power Poster
    I love my rotating mat....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 LastLast