Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4

Thread: rotating cutting mats

I have a large fiskars and olfa that I use all the time and could not do without. I have one small one that came as a free gift with an order of some quilting books. I use that when I am cutting small things and I love that one also. I can't see myself using a sharp blade to cut without a mat underneath.

Love mine--beats moving the fabric or trying to rotary cut at a strange angle.

Save your money and watch for sales on Martelli. This is the greatest revolving board out there. First, its round so it doesn't snag on things as you turn it. The squares all take a lot of space. Second, buy the one with the layer that is used as an ironing pad. I use that alone all the time. Third, its great to keep on your big cutting board to hold all those little things that you have to sweep out of your way all the time to get to the board. There is none better than Martelli!

Quote Originally Posted by leighway View Post
    Save your money and watch for sales on Martelli. This is the greatest revolving board out there. First, its round so it doesn't snag on things as you turn it. The squares all take a lot of space. Second, buy the one with the layer that is used as an ironing pad. I use that alone all the time. Third, its great to keep on your big cutting board to hold all those little things that you have to sweep out of your way all the time to get to the board. There is none better than Martelli!
    Here's a link with a video to show the board I use ALL the time!! The price is staggering, so wait for a sale or go to a quilt show where they're vendors and buy the show price. You won't be sorry about this purchase. http://www.martellicatalog.com/mm5/m...egory_Code=MAT

Blog Entries
    Even at half price there is no way I'd pay that much. Martelli might be good quality but dang, they are so expensive. You can buy a lot of fabric, even at lqs prices, for that.

I love mine. I just made a Disappearing 9 Patch and it's wonderful for that. You can just turn your mat and not have to move the block! Love it!

I bought one a few months back with a JoAnn's coupon...LOVE it! I bought it with a specific pattern in mind but end up using it a lot! Well worth my $$.

I think they're kind of pricey so I asked my husband to help me make one. I bought a circular board at Lowe's and cut up one of my old mats and Gorilla glued it down. That was a few years ago and I love it. Oh, yes! I also bought a lazy susan type plastic (has inlaid wheels) at Lowe's and attached to the bottom. It took about an hour to do all this but I got a larger rotating board for a much smaller price than I could have bought one. I use it frequently for cutting smaller pieces, etc.

Love mine for strip quilt blocks and lots of other things. froggyintexas

I like mine to don't use all that much but glad to have it.

I love mine, especially for trimming blocks and for cutting small pieces!

I love mine! Used the larger one to cut out pieces using the large apple core template. The mat was a lifesaver!
    Live, Laugh, Love & Quilt!
    Weasie

I have 3 -- two are squares and one is the Brooklyn Revolver with the ironing surface on one side (wow has that gone up in price). I use the Brooklyn Revolver the most with the large square second. I have had the Brookly Revolver for several years and use it on every project when squaring blocks or for HST. Love it. The squares do no turn as well, but they work for wierd size blocks. If I did not have the revolver, I would save my pennies for the martelli -- the round does not need as much extra space to rotate as the squares.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

I use mine all the time. Makes cutting much easier and I think safer because I'm not twisting and turning strange directions to cut.
    http://www.oregonquilting.net
    I choose to give my life away for things that last forever

I just use a small mat and its easy to turn.

Have one...don't use it

Quote Originally Posted by bea2 View Post
    Do you have a rotating cutting mat ? If so, what do you think about it..are they any good? I'm thinking of getting one but want to see your opinions first.
    Thank you
    My across the street nneighbor and quilting pal has a retorting mat and she loves it. Right now, I'm doing fine without one. When cutting small pieces, I put a board and a small mat on my ironing board, If I don't want to turn the mat or the fabric, I can walk to the other side and cut from there. More work, I know, but which of us doesn't need a little more exercise?
    Happy quilting Grandma

I have two and use all the time

I have the 12" OLFA rotating mat, I like it for squaring up blocks.
    Sharon

You don't miss what you don't have. I have a rotating mat and hardly ever use it. I think a small cutting mat would work just as well and save you money. More money for fabric or thread. Things are getting so expensive

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    I do A Lot of applique- I use mine all the time and love it-
    How do you use it for applique?
    Peace is one of His greatest gifts.

Blog Entries
    I have one and like it for trimming small blocks.
    TwandasMom

Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I like to put my 18 X 22 mat on top of my big one. The smaller mat turns really easily if needed.
    ------------

Good idea!! I'll have to try that.

Jane
    Jane

Thanks for reminding me with this thread. I have been wanting to try one and found the 14" rotating mat on sale at Quilting-Warehouse.com and I ordered it.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 4