Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotor Blades

I have a couple of those here in my town!!!

Rats...my HF is out of blades...guess the word is out here in Appley Valley, CA. already. None expected until next Thursday.
    I will be calling to check.

Thanks for this information...

Quote Originally Posted by angieh1964
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    This is just so wrong that you can slap a "quilters" name on it and jack up the price. We've got a H.F. here too. I've not bought blades at Joanne's lately. Say, with a 40% off coupon...anyone have what the going rate per blade is?
    the same for scissors i found a nice pair one day cruisin thru lowes they are just like my singers except black and red they were marked 4.99 which i thought was a great deal got to the register they rang up 1.98 SCORE!!! wish i would have grabbed about 10 at that price. but was low on funds RATS!!!
    I have those scissors... They are great, even in the garden! Wish I had 10 pr.

I'm going tomorrow, there is one close by me. :)
    Thank you to all who have tried these out on their rotary cutters.

Nice to have the link; blades are now on backorder.

Quote Originally Posted by grammo013
    After reading about carpet cutter blades at arbor Freight, I made hubby take me out there.

2 to a package and only $1.45 WOOHOO. I bought 10 packages before they discover quilters are using them and raise the price. They are super sharp. think they are made sharper as carpet is tough. Cut like going through butter.

Girl in store said they will have to limit how many a person can buy at a time. They are dangerous. I looked at her and "I am 61 years old I know how to use a blade and one will cut someone just as well at 20."

Always trying to take our bonuses away lol.

When I describe my rotary cutter to anyone (non-quilter) I tell them that it's a rolling scalpel. : = )

Quote Originally Posted by magpiefeather
    Quote Originally Posted by Chasing Hawk
    Magpie,

I love the quilt in your avatar. I especially love the colors chosen, the four direction, how appropriate for a Lakota Star Quilt. I am 1/4 Lakota and 1/2 Saginaw Chippewa.
    Oh thanks! I'm Blackfeet and Cree...I noticed your nice eagle on the aprons you did...might have to order some patches or something sometime. Was your embroidery machine hard to learn?
    Also....did you look at all my lone stars on my webshots? Beadwork and stuff there too.
    Yes I did, what beautiful work. The machine was easy to learn, I love it. I hope to make a Lakota star quilt one day. Even a small one :)

Quote Originally Posted by Momsmurf

When I describe my rotary cutter to anyone (non-quilter) I tell them that it's a rolling scalpel. : = )

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

It is good to see I am not the only one who can cut herself with the rotary blades. I am extra careful these days and put it well out of my way if it is open. No more blood on good fabric for me, thank you. :thumbdown:

Quote Originally Posted by magpiefeather
    Magpie,

I love the quilt in your avatar. I especially love the colors chosen, the four direction, how appropriate for a Lakota Star Quilt. I am 1/4 Lakota and 1/2 Saginaw Chippewa.
    Oh thanks! I'm Blackfeet and Cree...I noticed your nice eagle on the aprons you did...might have to order some patches or something sometime. Was your embroidery machine hard to learn?
    Also....did you look at all my lone stars on my webshots? Beadwork and stuff there too.
    Yes I did, what beautiful work. The machine was easy to learn, I love it. I hope to make a Lakota star quilt one day. Even a small one :)
    let me know, I"ll try and help....

Great idea ladies, please keep the good ideas and links coming. With 4 grands learning to sew along with DD and a friend besides, I have been spending a fortune for blades this summer.

Linda...I'm from MI too. What is this about and where do I get them? I understand that it's some kind of blade used for carpet cutting but where and just fill me in, please!! I put off buying rotary blades reallly too long and that's dangerous too. Thanks for the input and any help you can give me.

Blog Entries
    What are the sizes and do they fit your rotary cutters? Found out in the thread sizes they fit. Hubby goes there all the time and if he can't and I am in town I go there for him. Will have to get some. Thanks for the post. We live 85 miles from the nearest Harbor Freight, so maybe no one around here knows about it yet. lol Have a friend going tomorrow so will have her stop and get me some. I think I will try the carpet cutter, since it is so cheap and see how it works.

Blog Entries
    [quote=Chele]Woo hoo! They're on back order now. Word gets around obviously! Maybe for once I'll accompany DH to Harbor Freight and stock up! He can buy me breakfast afterward!

http://www.harborfreight.com/pack-of...des-97642.html

Thanks for letting us know they fit our ordinary rotary cutters. I like to change my blade often. Daily would be nice. Cheaper than arthritis meds for my elbow!

I knew they could make those blades cheaper. I've used X'acto blades for 25+ years and they're not that pricey. It really surprised me about rotary cutter blades.[/qu

I just phoned the store on Cincinnati West side and they have them in stock. She even quoted me the price to let me know they were a good deal.

June in Cincinnati

You will be lucky to find any blades left on the shelves. Most stores are sold out and on line is back ordered. Reminds me of my husband's reloading stuff. After the last election tons of folks bought up all the reloading stuff that was available and now he has a heck of a time getting any at all. Seems like it would be better for the whole quilting world if we moderated our purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerbie
    What are the sizes and do they fit your rotary cutters? Found out in the thread sizes they fit. Hubby goes there all the time and if he can't and I am in town I go there for him. Will have to get some. Thanks for the post. We live 85 miles from the nearest Harbor Freight, so maybe no one around here knows about it yet. lol Have a friend going tomorrow so will have her stop and get me some. I think I will try the carpet cutter, since it is so cheap and see how it works.
    I looked at the carpet cutter also, but I don't think it will work on fabric, since it is having to lift the carpet off the surface to cut through all the matting and fibers ... not too accurate for fabric strips, etc. (in my humble opinion)

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info on the carpet cutter.

This may be late in the game, but are you aware of the fact that Harbor Freight is flooding the market with 20% off coupons on a single purchase. They also have a free flashlight with any purchase. A good way to get a better deal.

June

Quote Originally Posted by june6995
    This may be late in the game, but are you aware of the fact that Harbor Freight is flooding the market with 20% off coupons on a single purchase. They also have a free flashlight with any purchase. A good way to get a better deal.

June
    Where do you get the coupons?

Minnesota Harbor Freight is out of blades. They are on back order. I did pick up a magnetic bowl while I was there. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by JudyMN
    Minnesota Harbor Freight is out of blades. They are on back order. I did pick up a magnetic bowl while I was there. Thanks for the tip.
    Your welcome :)

I get all my tool ideas from my husband's shop. I go in there and see all the goodies he has and I figure out how I can use it in my sewing room. :)

In my area they are in the Sunday newspaper magazine section, also in the coupons section and AARP publications and just abiout anything I run across. I am not sure what magazines carry them, but you could write to the store web site and ask where you can find them. I had about 8 of them laying around = and took 2 with me before I realized I needed one for each purchase. the clerk was very helpful and rang up 2 sales. One in which I got the 20% off on one set - the other was for 3 and I got the total off the three blades. It would depend on the store and their policies or the cashier.

I mentioned to her that I had never seen another store do such a blitz of coupons and she agreed with me. Between the 2 of us here we have gotten about 8 flashlights. We give them to people we think would like to have one.

In my area there is always more of those coupons every time I open mail.

June

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyMN
    Where is Minnesota Harbor Freight - I am in St. Paul. Edie

They have a store locator link. I googled it. They have a store right here in Akron, Ohio. I noticed shipping is like 6.49 and the blades are only 1.49. Just locate a store near you and go buy them.
    http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...cator/start.do

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 ... LastLast