Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta or......??? >

Rowenta or......???

Rowenta or......???

Old 12-15-2010, 03:19 PM

I bought a Rowenta ($75) some time ago and am not a happy camper - but I think I know where the problem is in the leaking. You can't go to the "max" line - it seems that if I go over the place where the top of the handle connects to the iron body, then it leaks (appears to be through the handle)- but when the water level is lower, it does not. I asked my husband to see if he could plug a little silicone in that spot to see if that would solve the problem but that hasn't happened yet. Also, I don't like the steam dial on top, unless you lock it into the continuous steam, it keeps sliding back until it shuts the steam off. I love the Black & Decker (and before that the GE) - they could bounce off the floor and still keep running. Another problem now days is the auto-shut off. They have some that shut off after 5 min - when I am sewing, I turn my iron on and want it hot and ready when I want to pick it up and use it (right now)! I have a little Proctor Silex from WM and it is cute and puts out lots of steam, but doesn't get hot enough to get fairly serious wrinkles from linens and heavy cottons even though I have the dial on the highest setting -
My favorite is a Black & Decker without auto-shut off. :-)
Marysewfun
Old 12-15-2010, 03:55 PM

Well, I'll add my two cents. I finally bought a Rowenta after not being happy with Black and Decker and some other brands. Love the Rowenta! I have dropped it onto a carpeted floor and it just keeps working like new. It is now about five years old...maybe a little older...and it just keeps going like that little bunny!!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:12 PM

I too feel that Rowenta Irons are definitely over-rated! (Mine also leaked)
I now have a cordless Maytag & absolutely love it!
No cord to drag over the fabric I have just pressed....it's fantastic! :-D
Old 12-15-2010, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by mic-pa
I had two Rowenta's and was unhappy with both of them. They did not steam well at all. Gave them away (and they were not cheap). Have a $20. Black and Decker from Walmart and love it. When it dies I will purchase another one.
I got a Rowenta several years ago and am not liking it very well anymore. It doesn't steam that well, mostly it leaks water out all over my fabric and I haven't a clue as to why---it's never been dropped or mishandled at all! Soon as I has some extra dollars for myself, I am going either to a Black and Decker or a Sunbeam!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:20 PM

I have an inexpensive Sunbeam, Variable steam, Auto shut off. I just love it. Low hassle factor, heats quick, and not too heavy. I think I bought it at Bi-mart or Walmart about three years ago and no problems. It has a nice Teflon soleplate, long cord, and sits up nice and stable. I probably paid about $20 for it.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
I have an inexpensive Sunbeam, Variable steam, Auto shut off. I just love it. Low hassle factor, heats quick, and not too heavy. I think I bought it at Bi-mart or Walmart about three years ago and no problems. It has a nice Teflon soleplate, long cord, and sits up nice and stable. I probably paid about $20 for it.
How long does the auto-shut off take to heat up again after it shuts itself off - like, I like to sew something(s) together and then go by the board and iron the seams or whatever - but if I took longer than the iron thought I should have and shut itself off - how long does it take to heat up again? Thanks.
Marysewfun :-)
Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 PM

I recently purchased a new Rowenta Steamium iron. It was made in Germany, contrary to a comment made by another member that Rowentas are all made in China. (Maybe just the cheaper models are.) My Rowenta manual recommends tap water, not distilled. My Rowenta produces lots of steam and even has an internal steam pump for extra steam as well as a vertical steam feature and water spray. It heats up quickly and does have an automatic shutoff feature which I like. It has over 400 steam holes on the stainless steel plate and irons very smoothly. It is a heavy iron but I like that as I don't have to use extra pressure to get good results. I love my Rowenta. It's the best iron I have ever owned but also the most expensive. The list price is $179. I bought it on QVC for $89 on Cyber Monday. I couldn't be happier with it!
Old 12-15-2010, 04:34 PM

I had an Oster for many years and loved it. It finally dumped its water and stopped working. I then got a T-Fal. Its a good iron but it has a filter that has to be cleaned every so often and it won't work without it. Recently I won a Rowentta at a guild meeting. Haven't used it yet. My quilting friend bought one like it and I use it when we quilt at her house. I guess its okay but I am in no hurry to get mine out and use it . Another friend has a cheap one from Walmart and says its one of the best she has owned.

My problems seem to be with my travel iron I use for classes. Its a White and the handle colaspses on me. I just bought a new one (forget brand) but haven't used it yet. The funny thing is I bought the new one and was taking out of the box when hubby walked up. Told him about the White and he said he would look at it and see if he could fix it. I haven't given it to him yet to look at.. I am in no hurry. But if he can fix it I may have two travel irons lol
Old 12-15-2010, 04:36 PM

I had two Rowentas because that is what Martha Stewart used and one was good, the other leaked. Then I bought an Oliso iron on Ebay for $80 about 3 years ago and love it. Everything on the Oliso is easy to access without having to let go of your iron. If you need to adjust your setting, it is on top where your finger can move the dial, if you want to steam, the button is right there, easy fingertip access. My understanding is that the Oliso was developed as a college assignment to take and everyday item and make it more ergonomic and easier to use.
I would not trade mine for anything. If you don't like the mini stands coming out at the bottom, it has a off/on function for that reason. If a stand gets stuck, it is usually because there is starch, fusible residue on the sole plate. I notice that Fons and Porter is using a newer style than the one I have. It is a worthwhile investment.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:52 PM

I have a Rowenta. It's not that great. If I can, I'd go out and buy another Black and Decker. 8-)