Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta or......??? >

Rowenta or......???

Rowenta or......???

Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM

I have had two top of the line Rowenta irons ( over $100). Both died the same way... the temperature just kept getting hotter and hotter , literally burnt the thread right off the fabric.
I will not buy another. I also found that after I got a cheapy iron some of my carpal tunnel issues were not as bad. I guess the weight of the iron ,and my marathon sewing sessions really aggrivated the situation.
My opinion , loved the steam , hated the cost, hated the limited lifespan.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:19 PM
Power Poster

I have heard not to buy the Rowenta type that has a removable water container. I bought a Rowenta many years ago (attached water container), and it has never given out on me -- even after several unschedule trips down to a cement basement floor. For years now it has been held together with heat-tolerant glue and duct tape (my dh's idea!). Occasionally I have had to clean calcium deposits out of it, from hard water; otherwise it has been the best iron I have ever owned. It heats up fast and produces lots of steam.

Occasionally I find Rowenta irons at thrift shops. Have purchased several over the years, about $5 each. I'm sure some of them were owned by quilters who paid full price for them and then did not like the auto-shutoff feature (which I personally love!), which is why they got sent to the thrift shop. These are my backup Rowentas in case my first love ever dies on me......
Old 12-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

My ROwenta recently died. First the temp selector dial broke but DH could glue it again. Then the sucker got so hot it melted cotton - now THAT's hot.

I switched to a EuroPro Shark but it is an automatic shut off and while it is great when hot, it shuts off too soon and I hate to wait for the iron to get going.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:51 PM

I had a Rowenta and it also leaked water called and had to send it in to make a long story short they sent me a brand new one. In the mean time I needed an iron so I went to Wally World and bought a $20.00 cheap one and have had no problem with it.
:)
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM

I had a Rowenta steam generator and had trouble with it spitting and leaking. I complained to the company and my reply was that if the iron is used every day it should not leak. What?!?!?!?! My daughter has a Rowenta and uses her iron every day before she goes to work and hers doesn't leak. I now have a Shark and just love it. It heats fast, has a shutoff after 10 minutes of sitting, but heats up very fast. It has lots of holes and you don't have to use special water like Rowenta does. I use my dehumidifier water. I would never again pay the outrageous price Rowenta wants.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:32 PM

My mom bought me a Rowenta on sale at Hancocks as a birthday gift 5 years ago. I use it with water and dry with a spray bottle it always works great, heats quickly and never leaks! Good luck with your search!
Old 12-14-2010, 02:47 PM

i also have a shark euro pro and love it. It was hard to find an iron that did NOT have teflon coating on the bottom and had lots of holes.

It does seem to heat up fast and it does have an auto shut off, but many of them do these days - i've just had to get used to it. I think it heats back up quick enough

I just can't spend $100 on an iron - it killed me to spend i think it was $50 or $60 on the Euro pro....
Old 12-14-2010, 02:52 PM

I have a sunbeam steammaster xl...It has lots and lots of steam and auto shut-off..I bought it several years ago and it is really a good workhorse...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by JuneD
Sorry Sadiemae, I guess I should have searched before posting.

Thank you everyone for your choices. I will check WM to see what they have to offer.
Don't be sorry. I just wanted you to know that you could look and find a lot more topics. Good luck on whichever you decide.
I would like to know what the little iron is that Sharon Schamber uses on her videos. It looks like it gets really hot and would be great for those little jobs.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:22 PM

I finally bought a Rowenta and absolutely love it. It is almost fun to iron. I would not be with out it. I got it at Tuesday Morning and got it for $60.00. It's a pink one and can't rave about it enough. Guess there are all kinds of favorites but I have been married 55 years, so I have had alot of different irons over the years but this is my favorite.