Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Rowenta vs Oliso >

Rowenta vs Oliso

Rowenta vs Oliso

Old 06-05-2015, 03:51 AM

I own both...like both...however...so far I really like the features of the oliso the best. I really like being able to just let go of iron and no need to set up on end. One side note.....doesn't bother me...but I took my oliso to a quilt retreat and the noise that the feet make were a little annoying to those who were not using it.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:48 AM

I have both, too. I use the Oliso for steam. I've had my Rowenta for a thousand years, it's made in Germany and had many drop tests, thus it doesn't steam anymore....... wonder why? lol The Rowenta gets much hotter than the Oliso which I love for ironing starched pieces.
Old 06-05-2015, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

No Rowenta for me because of horrible customer service. None of my money will ever go in their pockets again. My guild had the Olisos and I like using them but one has started to leak. The best iron I have used is the Reliable brand. My DD borrowed it and I will probably not get that one back. Right now I'm using a Classic Black and Decker and several $6 irons from Walmart. I use the cheap irons for fusibles and gluing.
Old 06-05-2015, 09:15 AM

I will not buy another Rowenta. The first one died by heating up past anything temperature I had ever seen... It melted the cotton poly thread on blocks I was piecing... it was beyond white hot. I foolishly thought it was a fluke and purchased another as I loved the amount of steam... after about 1 1/2 years it did the same thing. So In five years I had spent over $240.00 on top of the line irons.... NOT a good investment. I have wondered about the Oliso but after being literally burned in the past ... I doubt I will invest in another expensive iron.
Old 06-05-2015, 12:53 PM

I had an expensive Rowenta and it leaked. I picked up a refurbished Rowenta for $25 at an outlet mall about 5 years ago. Just used distilled water in it and emptied it after use (or after a day of quilting) and only recently has it started to leak. It is not bad enough to replace. Now I just wish I could remember where I got it.
Old 06-05-2015, 01:20 PM

Leaky Rowenta, bought a Reliable. The Oliso won't work. I have a strangely sized ironing board with a heavy tray for the iron. No room to leave an iron flat.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:33 PM

I recently bought a Rowenta at BB&B and I'm happy with it so far. I considered the Oliso but when I saw all the reviews about it leaking, I decided it wasn't worth the money. Even if the Rowenta leaks (many reviews for that as well), it cost me less than half what I would've paid for an Oliso.
Old 06-05-2015, 03:00 PM

I bought a Shark at Walmart last year for about $40. to replace an iron I had for quite a few years which kind of just quit. I don't remember the brand but it was common, nothing expensive. I brought home a couple other brands before and returned them before I tried this Shark. I like a heavier iron and this one is just right. It has a burst of steam and a water spray and I use both. No leaking, the instructions do say to be sure to let it heat up the water before using to prevent leaking. It also has the dreaded automatic shut-off, but actually doesn't take long at all to heat back up for pressing seams. Sorry, this doesn't answer your original question, just my 2 cents I've never really felt compelled to spend lots of dollars on an iron and actually can't relate to it.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:01 PM

After having two Olisos and they both died inside of a year, I won't get another one. Their warranties aren't worth the paper they're printed on and their customer service was anything but helpful. Since then, I've bought two Rowentas and they're both great. I don't have leaking issues and they both have great steam.
Old 06-05-2015, 08:43 PM

I have also had my Oliso for years- no problems, I love it. However, no matter what brand it seems there are as many who have problems as those who have a great experience- so my advice is whatever brand you purchase make sure you buy it from a reputable vendor with a good return policy & keep the box & the receipt!