Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler quilting on my domestic >

Ruler quilting on my domestic

Ruler quilting on my domestic

Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I haven't tried the rulers. My Daughter did and has had lots of problems, especially with bobbin tension and thread breakage.
Rulers are merely guides to sew along. Sounds like tension probs and thread breakage are machine issues rather than ruler issues.
Old 06-30-2018, 11:22 AM

I just got some rulers that I will try next week. I took a class and had a great time. Once you get the hang of it it is pretty cool
Old 06-30-2018, 01:31 PM
DJ

I can't understand why it would matter, but I can FMQ just fine with my machine, but try to do it with a ruler, and it acts up with tension issues and skipped stitches, etc. Very frustrating whey you think you have it going along fine on a sample piece then put it on the quilt and AHBL!
Old 07-04-2018, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by DJ View Post
I can't understand why it would matter, but I can FMQ just fine with my machine, but try to do it with a ruler, and it acts up with tension issues and skipped stitches, etc. Very frustrating whey you think you have it going along fine on a sample piece then put it on the quilt and AHBL!
I had this issue with my Brother 1500. It turned out to be the heighth of the foot from the quilt. I never could use the Westalee foot. After I bought a Juki foot for that machine which I could easily adjust up and down, I quit having those problems.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:33 PM

I asked on another thread, but I'll repeat myself here: Do you need to baste to use the rulers? If not, don't the pins interfere with the rulers?
Old 07-04-2018, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
I asked on another thread, but I'll repeat myself here: Do you need to baste to use the rulers? If not, don't the pins interfere with the rulers?
I spray baste when quilting with rulers (or doing any FMQ). Pins would be a headache.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:22 PM

Re basting. You can take out the pins in the immediate area you are working on, as you come to them. Otherwise, yes, they could interfere with the ruler. But I do this even with normal FMQ.
Old 07-05-2018, 07:21 AM

I bought a beginner kit at a quilt show a couple of weeks ago and it included the foot for my ancient Kenmore. Can't wait to try it and am hoping for a local class. Do post photos when you do yours.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:45 AM

Default Ruler quilting thread shredding issues

Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
I had this issue with my Brother 1500. It turned out to be the heighth of the foot from the quilt. I never could use the Westalee foot. After I bought a Juki foot for that machine which I could easily adjust up and down, I quit having those problems.
Judy, thank you for posting this. I have a Brother 1500 and just got the Juki foot for that machine. But I am still having thread shredding issues. What is the approx height that is working for you? Maybe that is my problem. I have replaced the needle, bought a new throat plate for my machine, using the correct needle to thread and still having issues. I can fmq fine with the other foot without issues. Thank you!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:06 PM

I started using a ruler last night. I had the issues talked about here - splitting thread and skipped stitches. My 301s never do that. I tried microtex needles, embroidery, quilting all size 11 or 12 - no help. I went to the store to get size 14 topstitch needles and somehow came home with size 16. The problems have stopped. I was concerned about the 16 leaving a large hole, but I had to remove an small section and the fabric is perfect - no holes. Is it the larger needle or rhe topstitch? Who knows, but I am pleased it's over. Now to learn how to use the rulers. BTW, I can use the 1/4" rulers with the slant needle Westalee foot.