Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ruler quilting on my domestic >

Ruler quilting on my domestic

Ruler quilting on my domestic

Old 09-02-2018, 06:09 AM

Someone mentioned having problems with their PQ1500s skipping stitches when ruler quilting. Thatks almost always because the foot is too high off the fabric. If the Juki foot has a thumb screw for adjusting the height you can easily fine tune it for whatever part of the quilt you’re working on. On my PQ1500s I use the Janome foot with the thumb screw. My machine likes for the foot to be just skimming the fabric.

If you set it so that it easily goes over bulky seam intersections, then you will likely get flagging which results in skipped stitches on the other parts of your quilt. So set it for the thinner parts of your quilt and then when you get to a bulky area raise it slightly until you're done in that area. Easy and quick to do with the thumb screw.

All of my machines like the foot to be closer to the fabric than the distance that the Westalee foot height template creates. In the videos it looks like she is using a Viking of some sort which may be more forgiving in this respect than many other machines.

Rob