Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Ruler quilting on my domestic

Blog Entries

Post Ruler quilting on my domestic

I am so loving this "ruler quilting" on my Janome. It does take a little practice but is really is easy once you get the hang of it, and the results are amazing. The hardest thing for me is to remember to keep my eye on the ruler, not the stitches. I'm getting much better at this

Sounds wonderful!!! I'm getting excited to start. I bought a beginner package and just haven't devoted the time to it yet. Glad you're having fun!
    Oh- what rulers do you have?

Where do you get the rulers? Is this done on longarm or domestic machine? Do you need a special foot? Thanks for any help.

Yes, you need a special foot. There is one for high shank machines and one for low shank. The low shank machines and foot have to have thinner rulers. The regular ones won't fit. Ruler work can be done on a long arm (with a special attachment table that goes on the machine bed) or a sit-down or domestic machine. The rulers are sold everywhere. I bought some with my Juki, and I know the other dealers make their own too. You could also check places like MSQC and/or Nancy's Notions. Watch some YouTube videos on ruler quilting first and you'll be ready.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Thank you. What a wonderful board we have here. Someone always ready to answer questions or point you in the right direction.

Blog Entries
    I attended a ruler class last Sunday...I am hoping I will at least get the hang of the easier designs!! I had nothing but trouble all day! Broke a needle trying to move wrong way..threw my machine out of timing. Borrowed one of theirs and she gave me low shank rulers when I needed high...once I get my machine back I will practice on my own and hopefully it will go better!

Angela Walters machine rulers are the best I have used. I love the needle stops on them. This puts the needle exactly where to start the line of stitching when the ruler is moved. The grips are on the rulers since they are made by Creative Grids.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

I haven't tried the rulers. My Daughter did and has had lots of problems, especially with bobbin tension and thread breakage.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    I got a template from Sparrow quilting and one from Westerley, going to order Angela's rulers now that I'm getting confident

Power Poster
    If you have a Janome, I believe Amy from Freemotionquiltingadventures has videos and Crafsy classes. She also has a shop tab at her site.

Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I haven't tried the rulers. My Daughter did and has had lots of problems, especially with bobbin tension and thread breakage.
    Rulers are merely guides to sew along. Sounds like tension probs and thread breakage are machine issues rather than ruler issues.
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

I just got some rulers that I will try next week. I took a class and had a great time. Once you get the hang of it it is pretty cool

DJ
    I can't understand why it would matter, but I can FMQ just fine with my machine, but try to do it with a ruler, and it acts up with tension issues and skipped stitches, etc. Very frustrating whey you think you have it going along fine on a sample piece then put it on the quilt and AHBL!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ View Post
    I can't understand why it would matter, but I can FMQ just fine with my machine, but try to do it with a ruler, and it acts up with tension issues and skipped stitches, etc. Very frustrating whey you think you have it going along fine on a sample piece then put it on the quilt and AHBL!
    I had this issue with my Brother 1500. It turned out to be the heighth of the foot from the quilt. I never could use the Westalee foot. After I bought a Juki foot for that machine which I could easily adjust up and down, I quit having those problems.
    JudyG

I asked on another thread, but I'll repeat myself here: Do you need to baste to use the rulers? If not, don't the pins interfere with the rulers?

Quote Originally Posted by Irishrose2 View Post
    I asked on another thread, but I'll repeat myself here: Do you need to baste to use the rulers? If not, don't the pins interfere with the rulers?
    I spray baste when quilting with rulers (or doing any FMQ). Pins would be a headache.

Re basting. You can take out the pins in the immediate area you are working on, as you come to them. Otherwise, yes, they could interfere with the ruler. But I do this even with normal FMQ.

I bought a beginner kit at a quilt show a couple of weeks ago and it included the foot for my ancient Kenmore. Can't wait to try it and am hoping for a local class. Do post photos when you do yours.
    A fabric stash is always missing that one fabric needed to finish the quilt on which you're working.

Ruler quilting thread shredding issues

Quote Originally Posted by JudyG View Post
    I had this issue with my Brother 1500. It turned out to be the heighth of the foot from the quilt. I never could use the Westalee foot. After I bought a Juki foot for that machine which I could easily adjust up and down, I quit having those problems.
    Judy, thank you for posting this. I have a Brother 1500 and just got the Juki foot for that machine. But I am still having thread shredding issues. What is the approx height that is working for you? Maybe that is my problem. I have replaced the needle, bought a new throat plate for my machine, using the correct needle to thread and still having issues. I can fmq fine with the other foot without issues. Thank you!

I started using a ruler last night. I had the issues talked about here - splitting thread and skipped stitches. My 301s never do that. I tried microtex needles, embroidery, quilting all size 11 or 12 - no help. I went to the store to get size 14 topstitch needles and somehow came home with size 16. The problems have stopped. I was concerned about the 16 leaving a large hole, but I had to remove an small section and the fabric is perfect - no holes. Is it the larger needle or rhe topstitch? Who knows, but I am pleased it's over. Now to learn how to use the rulers. BTW, I can use the 1/4" rulers with the slant needle Westalee foot.

Someone mentioned having problems with their PQ1500s skipping stitches when ruler quilting. Thatks almost always because the foot is too high off the fabric. If the Juki foot has a thumb screw for adjusting the height you can easily fine tune it for whatever part of the quilt you’re working on. On my PQ1500s I use the Janome foot with the thumb screw. My machine likes for the foot to be just skimming the fabric.

If you set it so that it easily goes over bulky seam intersections, then you will likely get flagging which results in skipped stitches on the other parts of your quilt. So set it for the thinner parts of your quilt and then when you get to a bulky area raise it slightly until you're done in that area. Easy and quick to do with the thumb screw.

All of my machines like the foot to be closer to the fabric than the distance that the Westalee foot height template creates. In the videos it looks like she is using a Viking of some sort which may be more forgiving in this respect than many other machines.

Rob
    1955 Singer Featherweight 221/ Late 60's early 70's White Selectronic 970/
    1975 Kenmore 158 model 1914/. 1981 Brother VX560/ Brother PC420PRW/
    Brother PQ1500s/ HQSweetSixteen