Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sad but true >

Sad but true

Sad but true

Old 04-14-2010, 04:31 AM

I have not been buying fabric for a while, but the other day I succombed to shopping..... I feel so stressed out now though. I spent a fortune on braids, ribbons and haberdashery because it was on sale. I really feel so fed up with myself as I knew I would not have the time to do much with all I have bought. And on top of that I even spent a fortune on fabrics for quilts. The fabrics cost a fortune over here, but I just had to have them...

BUT I reasoned with myself that since my daughter is a Sunday school teacher, she may be able to use the ribbons etc...

I may as well come out and tell you all that I just put all the stuff in my sewing room and then locked it and I have not been in there for a day..... I know I should not have spent the money but I did... I don't know what came over me...

Sad part is that one of sayings is" Do you need it? or do you want it?" this time I thought I needed it...... :O(

What a sad story. I am quite ashamed of what I have just written.... but I shall just press "send" and voila all my troubles will be solved!!! :O)
Old 04-14-2010, 04:46 AM

Oh I have always wanted to weave!!! I bought a small kids loom and it still sits here ... It will make a 14 inch piece of whatever but sheese real looms??? where are your photos?

Originally Posted by Battle Axe
The reason that I started weaving was because you have to complete the one on the loom before you can start another.....or buy another loom. Eleven looms later, I needed another building. So I bought the second building. Maxed out the cards and here I am.

So when my parents passed away I figured I had 26 years to weave up this fabric.

On the road to recovery...I sold the second building and am down to 6 looms. I'll post a picture of my partial stash. It is all hand-dyed for the rag rugs.
Old 04-14-2010, 04:59 AM

I think you took the first step to realize you don't need any more!

I am not buying fabric either unless it is needed for borders or binding.

Kyia
Old 04-14-2010, 05:14 AM

Maybe we need a topic for 'fabric anomynous' discussions :-) .... I broke down and bought some fabric online this week just because it was a supergood sale and I had a coupon :( .. I am sure it will sit for a long time waiting for me to figure out what to do with it. Sad is that I have a credit card bill to pay off - I think I will commit to not purchase anything unless it's needed to finish a quilt until that bill is paid ... does my confession help you feel not so alone in your fabric indulgence? I think since you've not purchased for a while, it's ok that you got out. Maybe next time limit your spending??

Originally Posted by dannypanny
I have not been buying fabric for a while, but the other day I succombed to shopping..... I feel so stressed out now though. I spent a fortune on braids, ribbons and haberdashery because it was on sale. I really feel so fed up with myself as I knew I would not have the time to do much with all I have bought. And on top of that I even spent a fortune on fabrics for quilts. The fabrics cost a fortune over here, but I just had to have them...

BUT I reasoned with myself that since my daughter is a Sunday school teacher, she may be able to use the ribbons etc...

I may as well come out and tell you all that I just put all the stuff in my sewing room and then locked it and I have not been in there for a day..... I know I should not have spent the money but I did... I don't know what came over me...

Sad part is that one of sayings is" Do you need it? or do you want it?" this time I thought I needed it...... :O(

What a sad story. I am quite ashamed of what I have just written.... but I shall just press "send" and voila all my troubles will be solved!!! :O)
Old 04-14-2010, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by miholmes
I can SO relate to you. I went through my stash the other day, granted I got alot of it from Freecyle....but I don't fabric I purchased to make acouple quilts, and then SEVERAL bags from Hancock and Joann with the reciept still in them....I was like...WOW I forgot I bought that. I thought it was great fabric at the time, but did I REALLY need it....probably not.

I'm kinda getting that way about tools as well...so I REALLY need those new Gingher sissors....my old ones works fine....but I WANT them...:)

No one told me this hobby would be so heavy on the old bank account. :)
:mrgreen:
Old 04-14-2010, 06:35 AM
Dkm

I have been working on this also. I decided that if I wanted to make something I had to look at home first. My problem is when I started quilting I just shopped and picked up materials. Now I either don't have enough or nothing matches. I really have tried to stop "just buying". I've decided now if I have a project in mind all material has to be bought at the same time. NO looking from shop to shop....you know what will happen. LOL
Old 04-14-2010, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by mpspeedy
I fell off of the wagon big time on friday. A lady contacted one of our guild members about selling her stash. She is no longer able to quilt and is downsizing. I was good and did all of my three loads of laundry and my friday morning chores before I went. I guess I was hoping that others had beaten me to the goodies. I was wrong. I was only the third customer. I spent $100 and came home with a little more than 50yrds of great fabric. All of it had already been washed and ironed.
Yesterday I put together two Linus quilts that only need the final machine quilting to be completed. I also quilt with a group at our local senior center. They are constantly being given fabric and other goodies when someone downsizes or passes away. They have a 10x10 closet full of sewing supplies. They gave me two huge bags of batting and a pile of plain fabrics as they know I make Linus Quilts. I used some of the batting and fabric along with some of my friday purchases to make those two Linus quilts. I will label them as being from the Senior Center.
You and your senior center know how to take your 'addiction' and turn it to something much needed. Good for you!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:13 AM

I have lost some setting blocks for a Relay for Life quilt that I am making for the church. In my quest to find the missing blocks, I completely went through my quilt room. I could not believe how much fabric I really have! So....I have decided that I will only buy fabrics for borders, bindings and backings.

However, after reading some of these posts, I think maybe some pieced backs might help me bust my stash!
Old 04-14-2010, 09:20 AM

[quote=yolanda]Maybe we need a topic for 'fabric anomynous' discussions :-) .... I broke down and bought some fabric online s

Hi Yolanda, it feels so good to know that there is someone else out there feeling the same as I do.... I am really feeling bad. I just don't know what overcame over me. I am usually so good.
I just don't know how to express what I am really feeling about all the purchases.... but it will get better once I have a good sleep and I shall be raring to go tomorrow.... ciao
Old 04-14-2010, 09:36 PM

Ok, I have a solution for you all.

I am just starting out, and have NO stash at all. PM me and I'll give you my address. That way, I'll get a stash started, you you all won't feel guilting about buying more fabric! WIN - WIN....hehehe

Carol B

Ditto here too. I think it is always good to have accountability and it I hope it helps in your fabric buying.