Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sad, losing our Wal-Mart fabric >

Sad, losing our Wal-Mart fabric

Sad, losing our Wal-Mart fabric

Old 01-12-2010, 05:03 AM

We had a walmart here loose it's fabric, but now it's selling some that is precut. Maybe your will do that in the future.
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SherriB
All of the Walmarts in our area, except 1, have remodeled and quit selling fabrics. The one store that is left seldom gets any thing new in, other than very cheap quality seasonal fabrics.

We have a Hobby Lobby, but they seldom get anything new in either. We do have 3 quilt stores, thankfully. But they are at least 45 minutes away.
If you are close to Johnson City - we just got in a whole 'boat load' of new fabrics in... but they are mostly the cheap kind. I would like more variety of the better fabrics, but those are limited.
Old 01-12-2010, 08:23 AM
Power Poster

WalMart stocks all June Taylor and Fiskar notions at the main warehouse. And Coats and Clark small thread displays. Don't let up on the dept. manager to get them on the shelf. The manager here said she didn't have the shelf space for them. So many sewers kept complaining she found room. Now there we have a great selection of quilting rulers, mats, sewing notions, including rotary cutter and blades, scissors, and the small display of thread. She also found room for fat quarters and jelly rolls.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:03 AM

WM Nation wide will not be selling material by the end of next year. The Corp. head made the decision that they want to be more up town, higher class stores. The manger are pulling their hair out. Because people are yelling, not talking they said, yelling about it. Things like little girl tights are not even being sold. Their after Christmas sales were nothing and bombed.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM
Power Poster

I don't care what WalMart decides to sell or not sell but it's a slap in the face to think the not so urban upscale folks made WalMart and now Walmart doesn't want that type of customer anymore. Walmart will never be high flalutin no matter how hard they try. LOL.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:24 AM

Ours is closing next month also.
I went yesterday, and their fabric was all 25% off.
I got some muslin. ;)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:41 AM

That is very closes to what I said to some of the big wigs.
Sam was a down home guy and I am sure he turning over in his grave.
The first time I ever meet him, he was standing in line in first of me. He just started visiting with me. He had shot gun shells in his hand.
He ask if I found what I wanted and I said no they sure could use more help back there. No one would help me look for it. I just get it K Mart. I didn't know who he was. When he got to the checker, he told her to call the manger. He made the manger go find what I wanted. My mouth hit the floor.
I meet him a few times after that and he never changed from the counttry guy he was.
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 AM

I also told them that Hancoks and Joann will really be thankfull for thier new sales because of their bright ideas.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:23 PM

Originally Posted by Margie
Our local Walmart is also closing their fabric department soon. All the "by the yard" fabric and trims are on sale at 25% off. I bought a lot of fabric at Walmart for my charity sewing. I bought a whole bolt of white fleece today for Soldier's Christmas stockings next year. Unfortunately, all their Christmas fabric was gone. I did find some nice fabric for Charity projects...going to miss their prices...but for everything else, I buy online or LQS and coupons etc at Joann's.

Margie
I am really close to you and i think I know what walmart you are talking about. Thanks for the heads up I will have to get up there. I need some more muslin and some broadcloth.

I will miss them. As most of the time I buy the 1.50 a yard material. I can get deals at Joanns but normally only 1 fabric as I only have 1 coupon. Ohhh well. If quilting becomes to expensive them I will just have to do what they use to do and that is repurpose things to make a quilt.
Old 01-12-2010, 03:42 PM

I would have gone to walmart today to buy something for the febuary doll quilt swap but they don't have fabric anymore . So I went to the salvation army and found fabric for the quilt in the valentine stuff. Brand new fabric. Great buy for a dollar I got two panels for shorts. I'm going to make one pair of shorts and use the other for the quilt. I went shopping for other things at a family dollar and paid the same price I would have at walmart.