Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sandwich with Elmers >

sandwich with Elmers

sandwich with Elmers

Old 06-11-2014, 03:12 PM

I experimented by diluting Elmer's, using warm water, until it sprayed a fine spray. Then I used my hand to 'rub' over what I had sprayed before laying the next layer on. It really doesn't take very much. When finished I took the spray part out and dipped the 'tail' in warm water and sprayed into the sink until it was clean. I find this holds as well as any basting spray I have used...and no smell or hard to remove overspray.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
I know you are asking about spreading and diluting but you really don't have to do that. I just finished a quilt and all I did was drizzle a thin bead on- sort of in a grid - granted I don't have any issues with holding the bottle upside down and giving it some gentle pressure. If I happened to get a glob (rare) I just used my finger. I let the glue dry and did an all over meander and the needle didn't gum up and the glue washed out. Couldn't be easier. The glue really doesn't have to cover the entire surface. Good luck with it. I hope you can find something that will work for you. To me it has become my favorite quilting shortcut.
I use this exact method. your hand gets a bit sore squeezing the bottle. Move fast . . . like you can cover a 4x4 ft area in less than 1 minute. My grids are about 3 1/2 " and I typically do them diagonally. Don't get hung up on it, move fast and try to get a pencil-thin line.
Old 06-11-2014, 04:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GemState View Post
I experimented by diluting Elmer's, using warm water, until it sprayed a fine spray. Then I used my hand to 'rub' over what I had sprayed before laying the next layer on. It really doesn't take very much. When finished I took the spray part out and dipped the 'tail' in warm water and sprayed into the sink until it was clean. I find this holds as well as any basting spray I have used...and no smell or hard to remove overspray.
That's *exactly* what I was thinking... as long as the sprayer gizmo was cleaned out right away, this could be a very good thing compared to using aerosols.

Thanks for chiming in.

I've got a few extra Best Press bottles laying around here... (I buy the unscented by the gallon and the linen scent by the quart and mix them) ... but once in a while I've bought an "emergency" bottle - so I have a few spares of those. That should work awesome.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:58 PM

What great ideas. I especially like the spray bottle idea. Does any one remember sprinkling clothes with a pop bottle topped with a cork that had a hole-filled metal top? Give me a spray bottle any day to dampen almost anything.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:31 PM
dms

Do you still have to heat set the quilt sandwich? Sure sounds better than spray basting.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by dms View Post
Do you still have to heat set the quilt sandwich? Sure sounds better than spray basting.
I just leave it dry, flip over and do the othe side and then let that dry. Takes a few hours to dry if you keep it thin. My opinion is diluting with water will make it take longer to dry,but haven't tried it. Really, it is so easy. Just take a small test sandwich and try it. All you are out is a $.99 bottle of glue and a few scraps. Then, FMQ on your test sandwich, then throw on the washer and dryer. You will be hooked, keep your glue THIN, by moving fast and holdin bottle about a foot above the fabric.

To me, the best part is the sandwich is so much lighter without all the safety pins and you never have to stop and remove a pin.