Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sandwich trouble >

Sandwich trouble

Sandwich trouble

Old 11-21-2011, 06:28 PM

I use curved safety pins, and they come right back up...no need to put your hand underneath!
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM

I have a piece of masonite on top of a table and I use clips to hold the backing to the masonite. I do the middle section first then move everything to do the sides. This seems to work for me. I cannot get down on the floor becasue of my knees.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:43 AM

I KNOW the quilt police don't like this but....................
I sew my batting to the top side of my quilt only.
Then and only then, after that is done to the whole quilt, do I put a backing on.
I find it much easier and no wrinkles on the back.
I then quilt in other places on the front to include the back. Works like a charm, every time.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 AM

I use my quilting sticks, just pin the bottom on first, then the inner part lays on the bottom, then pin the top on. It can`t
move, its easier on the back and you just release the end as you work and roll it up, when done unroll and take out
the rest of the pins.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:58 AM

Originally Posted by Barbshobbies View Post
I use my quilting sticks, just pin the bottom on first, then the inner part lays on the bottom, then pin the top on. It can`t
move, its easier on the back and you just release the end as you work and roll it up, when done unroll and take out
the rest of the pins.
This sounds interesting but I think I need to see pictures.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:07 AM

Here's Sharon Shamber's no taping on the floor way of basting that makes lots of sense to me. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhwNylePFAA (Maybe someone else has posted this. I don't have time to read all the posts.) I like using my big floor frame that allows me to stretch out the whole backing and layer everything on top of it without basting, but I would use Sharon Schamber's method if I needed to baste.
Old 11-23-2011, 06:32 AM

I had the same reaction when I went into the local hardware store on a quilt guild work day to pick up a roll of painters tape. I had left mine at home. The manly man in the plaid flannel shirt was astonished when the "little lady" wanted painters tape for her quilt. I giggled all the way back to our work location and then we all laughed at his reaction. He by the way got a quick lesson in the sandwiching process and how we "quilters" use many tools not always associated with sewing and quilting. I hope that someday he will show up at our guild and want to learn more.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:08 AM

I've got 2 full rolls (different weights) of batting and I don't know (now) what I'm going to do with them. Double sided fusible is soooo easy. I put a flat ironing board under the center of my quilt bottom and gently press w/o steam, move the board and continue until it's all done. You have the option of piecing the top seperately or piecing it right onto the other side of the fusible batting. When its all perfect, use steam. If you goof (get a bit of a crease) steam it, lift it (gently!) and resteam. It is soooo easy! No floors, no running around the table. You do have to pin or clip enough to keep the fabric where you want it, but the more you work with fusible, the better your technique and the quicker it goes. Even laying the top (or back) on and smoothing it with your hands is easy because the fusible aspect holds the fabric just enough to keep it in place. All the sticky comes out when you wash it (which I always have done before gifting). I expect the next generation of batting to have this option. Imagine w&n w/double sided fusing. YES!!!!

Last edited by Sierra; 11-23-2011 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by Joy.lynn View Post
This is the way i do it. This is so easy, no tape. I can't use sprays, it does sound easy.
I use Sharon Schamber's 2 board method while I sit at a table. No muss, no fuss, no puckers, no sore back.
Old 11-23-2011, 07:13 AM

Default This is How I do It.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6KHU...eature=related

This video is how I pin baste a quilt. It's easy, doesn't break you back and it works for me.