Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing questin >

Sashing questin

Sashing questin

Old 08-22-2019, 06:22 AM

Default Sashing questin

I am considering black sashing. What do you think? I was thinking of a 1 1/2 finished sashing. Any comments are truly appreciated. I am also thinking of a purple border, but it is way too soon for me to make a decision on that. This is Plan E for this fabric, as Plans A, B, C, and D looked stupid.... I love the fabric, but it is another case of "What was I thinking?" after I ordered it.

Dina
Attached Thumbnails img_0522.jpg  
Old 08-22-2019, 06:27 AM

What a wonderful large scale fabric! I've been trying to appreciate and use large scale prints for something other than backs and it can be a stumbling block on what to do with a fabric you truly love. Black works perfectly with it, I love using black as a neutral despite all the pet hair in our household.

Personally, I like the narrowing sashing. Wider is also ok. Maybe do a group of four blocks together with narrow sashing and then wider sashing between the groups of four... The purple border will be great, I'd probably quilt in a similar flower into it.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:33 AM

(I ordered a panel and enough for a border to back another purple/aqua/black project I have going) and I think your sashing idea is perfect. I think 1.5" finished would look great. One suggestion if you don't mind my saying - I love your layout except I would change one of the first blocks in rows 2 and 3, as those two squares are almost the same. I would just move one somewhere and trade it out. Otherwise, it's gorgeous and I hope you share pics when it's finished!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-22-2019 at 07:09 AM. Reason: shouting/all caps
Old 08-22-2019, 06:35 AM
Power Poster

Don't second guess yourself on that fabric. .... It's beautiful!!
In particular, I like how it is dark, yet bright and cheery.
I love how there are those sun spots showing through in the flowers.

Yes to the black ... for good definition from the prints to the sashings.
I agree ... hold off on your outer border decision(s) til you get the centre put together.

My only extra thought, and I hope I do not muddy your thoughts ... if so, just ignore ....
Not being able to see the print IRL, it's hard to know for sure the true colours.
Are the blacks/darks in the print truly black? or are they a black/navy? or black/purple?
Maybe audition those with it to see which "tone" of black you want for it.

It shows that sometimes simplicity creates the stunner and not always intricate piecing!!
Old 08-22-2019, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by LisaInOhio View Post
(I ordered a panel and enough for a border to back another purple/aqua/black project I have going) and I think your sashing idea is perfect. I think 1.5" finished would look great. One suggestion if you don't mind my saying - I love your layout except I would change one of the first blocks in rows 2 and 3, as those two squares are almost the same. I would just move one somewhere and trade it out. Otherwise, it's gorgeous and I hope you share pics when it's finished!
Thanks!!! I just now started trying to figure out if these blocks were where I wanted them. Just the info I needed.

Dina

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-22-2019 at 07:10 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE View Post
Don't second guess yourself on that fabric. .... It's beautiful!!
In particular, I like how it is dark, yet bright and cheery.
I love how there are those sun spots showing through in the flowers.

Yes to the black ... for good definition from the prints to the sashings.
I agree ... hold off on your outer border decision(s) til you get the centre put together.

My only extra thought, and I hope I do not muddy your thoughts ... if so, just ignore ....
Not being able to see the print IRL, it's hard to know for sure the true colours.
Are the blacks/darks in the print truly black? or are they a black/navy? or black/purple?
Maybe audition those with it to see which "tone" of black you want for it.

It shows that sometimes simplicity creates the stunner and not always intricate piecing!!
Thanks for the suggestion to look at the blacks in the fabric, and there is sort of s swirl of black and a navy black. The name of the fabric is Midnight. This black does match the black part of the swirly blacks.

Dina
Old 08-22-2019, 06:49 AM
Power Poster

Love the print.

What about using a very dark navy (same kind of blue as the print) instead of black for the sashings?
Old 08-22-2019, 07:10 AM
Power Poster

i like the black sashing and purple border
Old 08-22-2019, 07:21 AM

Yes to the black!
Old 08-22-2019, 08:02 AM

I love it! The bold, beautiful floral print, the black sashing, and the purple border! The way you have the sashings reminds me of a window--like looking through a window in a dark room on a moonlit night. The one wider sashing dividing the "top" 2 rows of panes from the "bottom" 3, emphasizes the window concept. Can't wait to see this finished!