Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Sashing Questions >

Sashing Questions

Sashing Questions

Old 07-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Power Poster

Default Sashing Questions

Should I go with the green sashing and yellow star cornerstones? I kind of thought it would look good to repeat the stars from the corner block in the sashing.Now It looks too busy to me with my blocks. What about green sashing with the wrong side of the yellow cornerstones without the stars? Should I use something else entirely for the sashing? I need help!
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 12:34 PM

If my monitor is true, that sashing seems to really blend in with the colors of the quilt. It gives a very subtle look to the quilt. I would probably look for a sashing with more contrast.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:45 PM

Actually, I have an opposite opinion, as your quilt top has some really nice blocks, which I'd want to be the focal point. I'd probably just do a simple sashing in the same background color as the blocks have, just to separate each one, and bind with the same fabric. Your blocks are lovely and should be the main focus.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Power Poster

I tend to like blocks done in two sizes. i'd think putting stars in the sashing would work well. and it all would have a soft look. Well done.
Old 07-15-2013, 12:58 PM

Plain sashing to set the beautiful blocks off well. Hugs
Old 07-15-2013, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

It wouldn't be hard to find fabric to sash it with the cream. This is a close-up of a couple of blocks with how I wanted to do the sashing. I will have to leave it up for a while and look at. That doesn't count as a UFO right?
Attached Thumbnails image.jpg  
Old 07-15-2013, 01:21 PM
Power Poster

Beautiful blocks, and I agree that they should be the focus, rather than the sashing. Have you considered setting them on point? I think that (almost) always makes a quilt even more spectacular. Since the quilt is scrappy, you might also make the sashing scrappy, using primarily the lighter fabrics with a darker one here and there.
Old 07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
Actually, I have an opposite opinion, as your quilt top has some really nice blocks, which I'd want to be the focal point. I'd probably just do a simple sashing in the same background color as the blocks have, just to separate each one, and bind with the same fabric. Your blocks are lovely and should be the main focus.
I agree with DebbE. I would use your background fabric for the sashing. You want your beautifully pieced blocks to be the star of this quilt. You did a very great job with your color selection. Good Luck !!!
Old 07-15-2013, 02:37 PM
Power Poster

I agree with the others on the non-green sashing and no corner-stars
Then go with the background fabric for the sashing.
You could do some really nice quilting in the ashing area, which would really let those stars shine forth!

And too, I like Dunster's on-point suggestion.
I'll take it a step further beyond sashing ... and do alternating blocks of the background fabric ..... and would even audition the alternate blocks in the pale green. Again, some pretty quilting will go nicely into those alternating blocks and still let the stars shine nice and bright!
Old 07-15-2013, 05:11 PM

I agree with the background sashing. If it were mine, I would want the beautiful stars to stand out and not compete with the dark green sashing. imho....