Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sasquatch quilt. >

sasquatch quilt.

sasquatch quilt.

Old 02-05-2012, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by linhawk View Post
I may do one like this to start as a practice. this is awesome!
Old 02-05-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by timpson View Post
I've downloaded several images and will work on making a usable image for quilting. In my earlier days of quilting, I had a sheet of Plexiglas cut to the size of the middle leaf of my dining table and placed a lamp underneath for tracing/copying, etc. Works like magic! plus I don't have to tape my patterns to my sliding doors and look the fool! lol

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/store/ite...?ItemId=151240 for a Tracer Projector And Enlarger for $29.99. I found one on sale for only $9.99 and returned the next day with a friend only to find them back up to $29.99.
Thank you! and did you see there is a 40 % off code ? I will be useing this for so many of my projects!
Old 02-05-2012, 02:14 PM

Maybe you can use Chewbacca from Star Wars as a reference. There must be a ton of those images out there.

Originally Posted by raedar63 View Post
Not nice, I am being serious, this is important to me . I knew I should have kept it to my self. I was trying to get accross that I do not want a cartoon image.
Old 02-05-2012, 03:27 PM

Not nice, I am being serious, this is important to me . I knew I should have kept it to my self. I was trying to get accross that I do not want a cartoon image.
Nooo...Nooo...I think this is a neat idea. I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I like the idea of the forest with a silhoutte or profile and definately some footprints. I get what you mean by realistic...I made a unicorn themed quilt for my daughter and wanted them realistic looking not cartoony looking which is what I thought you meant by realistic. Unicorns are a mythical creature also....nothing wrong with that.

Anyway, please don't keep it to yourself. One idea for you....I have seen some wall hangings of the Florida swamps and they used tea stained cheese cloth for the air moss that hangs in the trees. I am not sure where you live...maybe the trees don't look like that where you are but here in the south and around Louisiana they do...I guess that is the image I get in my minds eye when I think of a sasquatch..walking thru the woods as the swampy woods in those areas are rather scary.... Mind you my hubby has had Swamp People on all day today with all the alligator hunting.
Sp keep us posted...cause i want to see it...lol.

Corry
Old 02-05-2012, 04:04 PM

This sounds like a really fun piece to make. I instantly thought of a full in you face large applique of the creature made out of faux fur and with some extra stuffing under it to make him more 3D. And then some satin stitching to add key features like eyes and such. Although it would be difficult to get life like features sewn in.

Good luck in creating it. The way it sounds like you plan on proceeding sounds pretty cool.
Old 02-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Default sasquatch

Watch the movie Harry and the Hendersons (late 1980's). In the movie the dad (John Lithgow)draws a picture of a Bigfoot. Pause the movie when it comes to that scene and you will have a realistic Sasquatch.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:12 PM

As quilters we are artists and artists should always be able to express themselves with their art. Whether sasquatch is real or not has nothing to do with a choice for an art piece, be it a painting or quilt or story written for a child. We just need to believe in ourselves. And the QB is one place that provides opportunity to ask questions and ask for advice.
I think the landscape forest ideais great. i would probably make my sasquatch dark brown.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:32 PM

This is exactly the look I am dreaming of. I didn't know what couched yarn was so I looked it up , Perfect! I have never worked in mixed media as I do not know if it is with in my abilities but the yarn I do beleive now is a must! My brother lives right on a bayou and has mos in the trees the yarn on the squacth and the moss will be perfect!
If you decide to use the moss, but sure to put it in a bag and spray for bugs as they are definitely in Spanish moss.
I think if you used a silvery grey thread and try thread painting, you would love it. Your wall hanging would hold up better as the moss would deteriorate over time. Check out Leah Day's quilting designs. You can see how you could make thread look like moss. Go here.
Old 02-05-2012, 06:41 PM

If it is not washed the moss should hold up. I have some hanging from a picture frame in my bathroom from when I went to Florida in 1990 and it is still fine, Maybe a little dusty but not brittle or falling apart.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:24 PM

My Grandaughter visited for the weekend, and we watched a Little Bigfoot movie - she loves them - I'll be watching to see what you come up with.