Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Saturday Sampler class today >

Saturday Sampler class today

Saturday Sampler class today

Old 01-09-2014, 07:41 AM

Default Saturday Sampler class today

Today is my Saturday Sampler class at Pennington Quilt Works. I think we are learning block #8 today. I signed up for this class alone, and then talked a friend of mine that I used to work with into going with me. I am so glad I did. Now I get to see her every month, and I know I wouldn't if it weren't for this class. So many other things keep getting in the way! We take turns driving, I drove last month, so she will drive this month, because it is an hour away. Sometimes we get something to eat on the way there or back and we always have a lot of chatting to catch up on. Not to mention, that if I were doing this alone, I would probably find excuses to not go and not finish this quilt.

I guess I am just suggesting to all of you, that sometimes these classes are great ideas for reasons other than the quilt themselves!! Even if you don't need the instruction (or don't need another project! haha!), there are so many good things about taking this class. I look forward to it ever month, even if I usually don't make my block until the night before class!! (I want to get better about that, though!) ; )
Old 01-09-2014, 07:46 AM
Power Poster

Glad you have found a lovely solution for the both of you!
Old 01-09-2014, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

My sister lives about 100 miles away. Seems we try to plan time together, but it never happens, unless we schedule a quilting class! Sometimes it's at a LQS near me, sometimes near her.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:58 AM

A friend and I used to do this for a $5 quilt program at our LQS. We would go to breakfast, attend the meeting, and go to lunch. Then we would go to one of our houses and make the blocks. Since we were using the Marti Michell templates, we would decide who cut which template pieces, then one of us would sew and the other would press. It took no time at all, and we got to extend our visiting time. The added bonus was that there was no scrambling the night before to make the block.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:06 AM

I just took a class yesterday, with a former co-worker I got into quilting when she retired and a great girl she knew. We have to drive 45 minutes 1 way, but that is talk time. The class meets for three sessions. We were just like three teenagers after we left talking about tools, fabrics and techniques. It was such a great experience.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:22 AM

Hey, Zappycat, I'll be headed there tomorrow! Don't you just love the BOM? I really like it for the skill building. One of the blocks a couple of months ago gave me an idea for designing my own quilt for the first time. Don't forget to check out the sale stuff. If you'd like to meet up next month, give a shout. I'm only about 5 min. away from there.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Hey, Zappycat, I'll be headed there tomorrow! Don't you just love the BOM? I really like it for the skill building. One of the blocks a couple of months ago gave me an idea for designing my own quilt for the first time. Don't forget to check out the sale stuff. If you'd like to meet up next month, give a shout. I'm only about 5 min. away from there.
Hi NJ Quilter! We are going to go at 5 today so we will have time to look at the sale stuff! We usually go at 7 on Thursday and are the last ones out... we always forget that they are trying to close the store and go home! Are you doing the Saturday Sampler too? My friend and I are both doing the Kaffe. LOVE the fabrics! My first class there was the t shirt quilt class with Ro. I made a quilt for my daughter's last year of college with all of her soccer t shirts. I am finishing up another one now for one of her teammates. I love PQW. It always feels like a mini vacation to go there! Wish I was as close as you.... or maybe that wouldn't be a good thing!! I'll let you know next time I am going there. Sometimes I end up in Artful Beads too.... I have taken a few classes there too.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:49 AM

OK - I just have to say this: You do realize that today is Thursday and not Saturday! LOL Hope you have a wonderful time and yes a class or excursion is a great way to get together
Old 01-09-2014, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by quiltstringz View Post
OK - I just have to say this: You do realize that today is Thursday and not Saturday! LOL Hope you have a wonderful time and yes a class or excursion is a great way to get together
haha... yes, there are days that I do have a tough time figuring out what day it is, I will admit to that!! But Saturday Sampler classes are Thursdays, Fridays AND Saturdays!!
Old 01-10-2014, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by NJ Quilter View Post
Hey NJQuilter! Have fun today! I am working on my block now! Not leaving it until the day before class for a change! AND...I pretty much resisted the sale! It was kind of easy because I forgot my purse! I carpooled with my friend and had so many things in my hands when I got in her car that I didn't realize that I didn't have my purse until I got there. My friend offered to pay for my stuff and at one point I had my hands full of fat quarters and then I got this great idea... "hey! Why don't I use up some of the stash I already have?!!" What a novel idea, huh? So I put most of it back! I did have $20 in my coat pocket, so I spent $10. I think I did the right thing! ; )