Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
SCANT 1/4 INCH IS MAKING ME CRAZY >

SCANT 1/4 INCH IS MAKING ME CRAZY

SCANT 1/4 INCH IS MAKING ME CRAZY

Old 10-25-2012, 11:30 AM

yes, I too just move my needle a click or two depending on what foot I have on. I do prefer to sew with a scant 1/4", I know this drives a lot of people crazy, but I would rather trim my finished block down in size, than have it come out too small, it is so frustrating to expect and need a 12" block and only have it comes out 11-7/8", and then the next one 11-3/4"...and those that do come out 12" are a little on the wonky side....I would rather they come out a true 12-1/8- 12-1/4" and be able to trim down to a nice square 12"
Old 10-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by Anna O View Post
A 1/4" seams allowance should be fine for most projects. The only time a scant would really matter is if you have small piece and have a "gazillion" of them in your project. More important is to use the same sewing machine for the entire project. I haven't figured it out (and probably never will), but 1/4" seam on one machine isn't necessarily 1/4" seam on another, even if you use a 1/4" seam foot. Crazy, but true.
My friends and I discovered this when I sewed a quilt on my machine and part of it on a friend's. And we discovered it again when we were all quilting on a Saturday. One gal's machine conked out, so she used the spare machine of another in the group. Her blocks came out different from one machine to the other. And we measured the seams, both were 1/4 inch! Weird!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
I don't rely on a foot. I use a strip of heavyweight moleskin and butt my fabric up against that as I sew. My seams turn out much more even that way.

To measure the scant 1/4" for moleskin placement, I place my favorite cutting ruler under the presser foot, make sure it is positioned fairly straight front-to-back, move my needle position one place to the right (with my older Bernina I have to do this in order for the moleskin to clear the feeddogs), lower the needle so that it touches the ruler just to the right of the 1/4" line, and lower the presser foot to hold the ruler in place. I have already cut the moleskin into strips using a ruler and rotary cutter, so I just remove the paper from the back of the moleskin and carefully position it so it is butted up against my ruler edge.

Although I often use just a 2" or 3" long strip of moleskin, my preference if I am going to be sewing long
strips together is to make the moleskin strip even longer, so it is guiding the fabric long before the fabric actually gets to the needle.

Anyway, with this method I don't have to force my eyes to constantly look at the marking on a foot; as long as the fabric is butting up against the moleskin as it feeds, I am going to get a good seamline.

As someone else mentioned, thread thickness can affect seam width. Once you have the moleskin
positioned, it's a good idea to do a test of 3 2-1/2" strips sewn together so that, when ironed, you are sure the finished measurement is exactly what it should be.

Moleskin is available in the foot section of pharmacies. It is a cushioning product sold for placing on heels, etc., to prevent blisters or protect a blister from rubbing.

Great tip using the moleskin. It has a slight thickness to it unlike the tapes, which may be easier when trying to align the fabric before it gets to the foot. Thanks, Prism99!
Old 10-25-2012, 04:34 PM

Thanks for all this info. You all are the greatest.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:51 PM

Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.sewingpartsonline.com/viking-quarter-inch-foot-4123708-45.aspx

Originally Posted by purplefiend View Post
The only machine company that makes one that I know of is
Bernina. Its the #37 foot.
I wish Viking made one. Most of the time I just move my needle over. I have the regular zig zag foot and zig zag plate on.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM

I use Superior Threads ."Masterpiece" thread in the cones and sew at 1/4". I make sure the 1/4 is accurate br stitching two 2 1/4" strips together. Press then measure. If it comes out to be 4" wide i'm satisfied.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:49 AM

Location: Small town in Northeast Oregon close to Washington and Idaho

Guidelines 4 Quilting makes a prep tool to get a 1/4" seam. It is a 1/4" ruler and you purchase their Seam Guides, (2" long each) which are thick and you lay the ruler next to your needle when it is down.

Then you take as many seam guides (I use 2) and lay them right next to the outside of the ruler. They are sticky on the bottom, but don't leave residue.

This outfit is awesome!!!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 AM

I have never understood why the 1/4 seam in the first place. We never used it in the past so what is the point? Everything now is based on this and I do not quilt even half of what I used to because it is so frustrating. Being on a fixed income it is hard to buy extra feet or anything else. Through venting now.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:20 PM

Originally Posted by patdesign View Post
If your machine is a low shank, there is a vintage foot called a gauge presser foot, it will adjust to what size you want, I got mine on ebay for about $40, worth every penny.
I'm going to try to respond to several posts in one so bear with me! I sew mostly on vintage Necchi machines and you can't move the needle. If you've seen April1930s (I think that's right) pages and store on ebay, you've seen the Singer gauge foot for sale at big bucks. I was able to get some from the Necchi warehouse before my source left, for the high shank Necchis and have them for sale. I'll try to post them in that forum this weekend, with pics....for about $26-27. Truthfully, I haven't tried one for this yet but that's why I wanted one....for piecing. If you look at April's web site, she has a demo page for the gauge foot.

I ran into a problem with the scant 1/4" when I was trying to make blocks for a swap on a sm list I'm on. The blocks had to finish at a certain size because of the swapping, not like you were making them all for your own quilt. I could NOT get the darned thing right and finally gave up, deciding I'd just make my own little quilt! For that one I was sewing on a Singer 201 treadle. At that time, I got some of the Qtools Sewing Edge from Alicia's Attic but by then I'd given up so haven't tried them yet. Last spring I wanted a blanket stitch for applique so got the Brother CS6000i but haven't used it a lot so it's good to know I can change the needle position on it....will try that out! And re Aurifil 50 thread....have wanted to get that too so will definitely now to see if it helps.

When we had to use the scant 1/4" for that swap, I had never heard of it before and it was a bit bewildering! Do I understand right that so long as your seams are consistent, 1/4" instead of a scant wouldn't mess up the pattern? at this point I don't know if I ever want to try one again!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:19 PM

watch this 4 minute video and see if the need for scant makes sense:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBoLP...eature=related