Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: School supplies

Power Poster

School supplies

It's time to stock up on Elmer's washable school glue, graph paper, washable markers etc. I picked up a ring for fastening things in a binder or for a book report. It works nifty to hold my machine bobbins for travel.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1597
Size:  221.4 KB

Blog Entries
    good use of that ring. i've had one of those holding all my sized drunkard's path rulers together.
    Nancy in western NY
    before you speak T.H.I.N.K.
    T is it True? H is it Helpful? I is it Inspiring? N is it Necessary? K is it Kind?

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Power Poster
    Clever idea.
    What did you use to keep the thread from unwinding from the bobbins?

Power Poster
    Bearisgray, those are the sections I cut off the clear hose I bought at the hardware store. I cut little rings with an exact knife and then cut a slit through the rings. They then just slip over the thread and another advantage is I can write on the rings with a sharpie for specialty threads.

You girls are so smart!
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Power Poster
    Here is a little section of the hose and a couple of the rings.Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 1505
Size:  231.4 KB

Great idea!

I use those rings for bobbins too. I wrap a small cloth hair elastic around the bobbin to keep thread secure. A ring of pre-wounds also go in the class tackle box.The rings also work on rulers to hang them on rod or hooks.

I just bought plastic file folders with zip loc on each side. They will fit into a notebook. I will store those specialty rulers that aren't used every day.

Love the deals right now. It's always fun to find supplies to use in the sewing room.

Power Poster
    Thanks - what size hose/tubing did you buy?

I use the "baby" stretchy ponytail holders. Just the right size for bobbins.

Another use for the ring: if you have a refrigerator/freezer that you need to shut down, put the ring through the freezer door and fridge door handles. Then prop the door open. The ring makes both doors into one unit. I block my fridge door open using a trash bucket and because the doors are "tied" together, there is no chance that the freezer door will close by accident. I've been doing this for years and it works well.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

Great ideas!

Power Poster
    Bearisgray, across the middle of the inside of the tubing is 1/2 inch.

I too use the baby ponytail holders, they work great right out of the package. I think mine came with 100 or more and I believe I got them for a dollar.
    Maria
    Always be true to yourself!

mac
    I use the ponytail holders, too. Then I stick my bobbins in an empty straight sided pill bottle for taking to classes. Also, I will often use smaller pill bottles (with straight sides) for holding bobbins of the same color. I hate when I am on a roll and doing a project and I have to stop and wind a bobbin. Since I mostly use: white, black, light taupe and dark taupe threads for my projects, I keep these bottles filled at all times.

I also use the medium and large black binder clips for holding a stack of blocks together. Which reminds me that I had better go get some while the school supplies are out.

I still have my gallon of Elmer's Glue that I bought 2 years ago, so I don't need any of that, yet.

Blog Entries
    I bought a box of binding rings and cut them apart and they work well also and are very inexpensive. You can buy a box and share with friends and still have some left. Who needs expensive specialty gadgets when all you need to do is post a comment on the board and you get a lot of ideas. Quilters are awesome for sharing and saving money.

Blog Entries
    this post was in response to the comment how do you keep your thread from unwinding.

Love the idea of the bobbins on the binder ring and the plastic and/or small pony tail holders to hold the thread on the bobbins.
    Thank you to everyone who shared ideas!

Tartan, what a great idea, thanks!

I picked up two packages of (5) Frixion pens for $2.09 per package this week at Walgreens. We start school early, so lots of stores are already closing out leftovers.

bkay

I decided to change washable markers, knew I have some in waiting. I looked everywhere in sew room. Could not find them. I bought new ones last week, fat and thin markers, lots of colors.

Today I looked in my fabric closet and lo and behold there were 2 boxes I bought last school year. I am sure they will dry up before I can use them up. I never thought to look there before I bought new ones.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
    I decided to change washable markers, knew I have some in waiting. I looked everywhere in sew room. Could not find them. I bought new ones last week, fat and thin markers, lots of colors.

Today I looked in my fabric closet and lo and behold there were 2 boxes I bought last school year. I am sure they will dry up before I can use them up. I never thought to look there before I bought new ones.
    Isn't it positively amazing that when you can't find something and you no sooner buy it, that the missing one suddenly turns up?

I lost my eye glasses and I held off buying new ones because I knew that they would turn up the minute I bought a new pair. Had to use my ten-year-old eye glasses and I waited about 1 1/2 years until my next eye examination, before I finally gave in and bought a new pair. It was barely three days after I picked up the new glasses that I found my other pair. Apparently, I had cut my husband's hair and left the glasses in the box with the clippers. Since these clippers were not my favorite pair, and I usually use another pair, I never thought to look there. Just what are the odds? This happens to me all the time.

Banned
    Yep! Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I searched everywhere for one of several seam rippers I have. Every one was gone. ... plain disappeared! Spooky! So since I need seam rippers all the time, I headed out to Hobby Lobby and bought just one. When I got home, the old rippers came out of hiding! They were in all the familiar places. Yikes! Is my house haunted?!

mac
    Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    Yep! Happened to me a couple of weeks ago. I searched everywhere for one of several seam rippers I have. Every one was gone. ... plain disappeared! Spooky! So since I need seam rippers all the time, I headed out to Hobby Lobby and bought just one. When I got home, the old rippers came out of hiding! They were in all the familiar places. Yikes! Is my house haunted?!
    My husband and I call it 'The Black Hole'. Maybe it should be called the "Invisible Hole", because we will find what we lost in the exact place that both of us had looked already.

I think that the TV Show, 'Twilight Zone,' called the people who move things, 'the blue meanies'.

Great idea. Thank you Tartan for such a creative idea. Much appreciated.

I use the binding rings to hold my small rulers (up to 6x12). I then hang them on a pegboard hook.
    QuiltnLady1

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade.

Quote Originally Posted by SillySusan View Post
    I got tired of mine sneaking away, so I drilled a hole in the handle and put it on a leash made from the biggest, brightest shoe lace I could find. Extra points for the peace signs, lol. I have an old 1940's floor lamp in my sewing room, and I hang them on the triple arms of the candelabra segment. Works a charm.

Name:  20180920_015947.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  247.6 KB