Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
School supplies >

School supplies

School supplies

Old 09-11-2018, 05:48 PM
Power Poster

Bearisgray, across the middle of the inside of the tubing is 1/2 inch.
Old 09-11-2018, 09:14 PM

I too use the baby ponytail holders, they work great right out of the package. I think mine came with 100 or more and I believe I got them for a dollar.
Old 09-12-2018, 11:18 AM
mac

I use the ponytail holders, too. Then I stick my bobbins in an empty straight sided pill bottle for taking to classes. Also, I will often use smaller pill bottles (with straight sides) for holding bobbins of the same color. I hate when I am on a roll and doing a project and I have to stop and wind a bobbin. Since I mostly use: white, black, light taupe and dark taupe threads for my projects, I keep these bottles filled at all times.

I also use the medium and large black binder clips for holding a stack of blocks together. Which reminds me that I had better go get some while the school supplies are out.

I still have my gallon of Elmer's Glue that I bought 2 years ago, so I don't need any of that, yet.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:33 AM

I bought a box of binding rings and cut them apart and they work well also and are very inexpensive. You can buy a box and share with friends and still have some left. Who needs expensive specialty gadgets when all you need to do is post a comment on the board and you get a lot of ideas. Quilters are awesome for sharing and saving money.
Old 09-13-2018, 06:35 AM

this post was in response to the comment how do you keep your thread from unwinding.
Old 09-13-2018, 09:23 AM

Love the idea of the bobbins on the binder ring and the plastic and/or small pony tail holders to hold the thread on the bobbins.
Thank you to everyone who shared ideas!
Old 09-13-2018, 05:56 PM
Power Poster

Tartan, what a great idea, thanks!
Old 09-13-2018, 06:27 PM

I picked up two packages of (5) Frixion pens for $2.09 per package this week at Walgreens. We start school early, so lots of stores are already closing out leftovers.

bkay
Old 09-13-2018, 06:49 PM
Power Poster

I decided to change washable markers, knew I have some in waiting. I looked everywhere in sew room. Could not find them. I bought new ones last week, fat and thin markers, lots of colors.

Today I looked in my fabric closet and lo and behold there were 2 boxes I bought last school year. I am sure they will dry up before I can use them up. I never thought to look there before I bought new ones.
Old 09-14-2018, 08:38 AM
mac

Originally Posted by Jingle View Post
I decided to change washable markers, knew I have some in waiting. I looked everywhere in sew room. Could not find them. I bought new ones last week, fat and thin markers, lots of colors.

Today I looked in my fabric closet and lo and behold there were 2 boxes I bought last school year. I am sure they will dry up before I can use them up. I never thought to look there before I bought new ones.
Isn't it positively amazing that when you can't find something and you no sooner buy it, that the missing one suddenly turns up?

I lost my eye glasses and I held off buying new ones because I knew that they would turn up the minute I bought a new pair. Had to use my ten-year-old eye glasses and I waited about 1 1/2 years until my next eye examination, before I finally gave in and bought a new pair. It was barely three days after I picked up the new glasses that I found my other pair. Apparently, I had cut my husband's hair and left the glasses in the box with the clippers. Since these clippers were not my favorite pair, and I usually use another pair, I never thought to look there. Just what are the odds? This happens to me all the time.