Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Scraps, scraps and more scraps.... >

Scraps, scraps and more scraps....

Scraps, scraps and more scraps....

Old 09-15-2018, 08:43 AM
mac

Elfi2, those placemats are really nice. It is amazing what can be done with just scraps.

I really liked the way that the black helps to calm down all the colors. That is one thing that I think is really necessary when doing scrap quilts, keeping a place for your eye to rest.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:14 AM

Love the quilts! Really like yourwayh o f organizing, 1000 scraps. I also like our analysis of value. wish someone could come up with a time stretcher!
Old 09-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Power Poster

Seeing the closeups of the last photos features the lovely machine stitching you have done. Thanks again for sharing.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:00 AM

Wow!! That is quite a collection! Thanks for sharing this... I have my work cut out for me.....pun not intended!
Old 11-24-2018, 01:33 PM

No ending with the scraps.... I looked Darlene Michaud's videos and thought: just try it! I used scraps and little blocks I tried a pattern or I got them from other quilters with words like "you are sewing so much I think you can use them up"!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604386[/ATTACH]

I think I'll do some sashing because it's very colorful and a little messy!
And I weighed the "new" fabric: it's about 300grams, the weight of 1 m of fabric is about 150 grams, so this will be 2 meters of new fabric!
Attached Thumbnails img_6505.jpg  
Old 11-24-2018, 09:37 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]604406[/ATTACH] I love scrappy quilts. This is one on my bed now that I've made.
Attached Thumbnails quilt-our-bed.jpg  
Old 11-25-2018, 04:29 AM

You are an inspiration to all of us! Maybe, especially me!. I have so many scraps! That means I have done lots of projects over the years. I really need to put the scraps to good use. I like all of your projects with scraps. Thank you for sharing this thread.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:09 PM

This last month the Guild had a scrap teacher and were encouraged to bring scraps to share. I took 2 large bags, spread on the table. Most of the projects had some of my fabric. Then one of our ladies loves to quilt with scraps, so she took the rest. Now I only the ones I'm working with.

Yeh, get to start over and a lot of people enjoyed my scraps
Old 11-25-2018, 11:22 PM

I have tons of scraps! but I get intimidated when I start to cut them up because I don't know what sizes I should cut them. I'm afraid if I cut them I might need a size I didn't cut. I hope I'm not alone on this??
Old 11-26-2018, 07:24 AM
Power Poster

garysgal, no you are not alone! I have felt this way for a long time because I like to do mini's and .. "oh there's enough here to do a border, I'd better save it" or "this would be perfect for setting squares in an on point setting, I'd better save it". After a while the fabric is still there going unused and you say, "I've gotta have room!" This fall, I started cutting any thing smaller than a fat quarter or quarter of a yard...although I did save some 'looks like solid' colors 5" wof that can be used as small table mat or mini bindings.

The sizes I cut are 5 x 5 and 5 x 10's for use in a free pattern from Wilmington as a scrappy. 5" is what's in a charm pack and can be used in place of a charm pack, and if I wanted I have the 5 x 10 to cut into 2 charms. If you wanted you could cut 10 x 10 pieces as a layer cake size and recut if you wanted 2 5 x10's or 4 charms. There are lots of patterns that use the 5" size out there.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=wilmin...ZD&form=MOZTSB

After the 5 and 5 x 10 pieces are cut off, I cut strips in 1/2" increments (i.e. 4.5, 4, 3.5.....1"--remember I do like to make mini's) and have them in plastic containers by sizes. I have a couple of ideas I plan on using these sizes for. In fact I kitted up a "Simplish" quilt from a bunch of aqua pastels...just need to get some yardage to replace the jelly roll used in the pattern. When I need a piece that's 3.5" wide I can cut from one of the strips how ever long I need...or just make up some 3.5" squares when I need it. I don't cut a strip into squares because you can always cut a piece smaller when you need to.

You decide what size of pieces you are most likely to cut based on what you like to use. Because let's face it, they are scraps and they will be used in a scrappy quilt.

I organize my small pieces by color and the bins are more orderly with 1/4 yard cuts and larger than all those random pieces floating around in the bin. I was looking for fabric last night and wow so much nicer to have the folded FQ pieces and not those odds and ends in the way. Don't get me wrong I still have fabric to cut smaller, but now I have a plan and can live with these organization. I still had some off size trimmings which went into another container because I also make mini crumb blocks. I can still make my mini's as I have a big basket of 1" pieces (3/4" basket too) to choose from...I like to say...and no yardage was harmed in the making of this mini.

1000scraps has just shown us how to get 2 yards of "fabric" from all those scraps. I recently made some little "crumb" pieced note books and needle keepers using 1" strings for binding and utilized almost 2 yards of "fabric" with my crumbs and bindings. In my world that's $20 worth of fabric not thrown away.

So be brave garysgal, and cut away...the first cut's the hardest!

Last edited by oksewglad; 11-26-2018 at 07:31 AM.