Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Seam Rippers

Blog Entries

Gingher seam ripper

Quote Originally Posted by lfstamper View Post
    I like the Gingher one and now you can buy refills so that will be great.
    I was told by Gingher that the blades are guaranteed for life and should never need to be replaced because of dullness. I supposed they could be damaged somehow and that is why they now make replacement blades or perhaps some people will assume they will need to be replaced because of dullness. ive had one since they first came out and its still sharp and believe me, I do lots of ripping!

I know someone already recommended this, but I too like Havels seam ripper. I also like the seam ripper that came with my Babylock Ellisimo.
    ~Sheriann~💖 BabyLock Ellisimo 💖 Husqvarna Viking Designet 1ESS 💖 BabyLock Imagine 💖 Janome Jem Platinum 760 ♥ Beloved Gram's 1924 Singer Treadle 💖 1937 & 1953 Singer Featherweights #IAMSEWBLESSED ♥

I like the one from Fons & Porter the best (the one with the red & white handle). I happen to LOVE seam rippers & have tons. I just wish you could buy them with different width blades. I would like a thinner (narrower?) blade because I use a pretty small stitch when I sew.
    (`v)
    `*..*
    .*).*)
    (.(. (..`..♥ rebecca

Blog Entries
    I like my Clover flat handled one for normal seams (2.5) but found a little tiny one that came with one of my machines. It is very sharp and small - wonderful for 2.0 seams!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    I used to use anything handy cheap seam rippers razor blade eyebrow cutter ect but i bought a lite brite at hancocks and now only use that love the light and magnifying glass on it

I use a very sharp and pointed pair of scissors. I clip every third or so stitch, turn over and pull the thread out it's so fast and no more cut fabric. I have found it to be less damaging on the fabric to do it this way.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
    I like the one from Fons & Porter the best (the one with the red & white handle). I happen to LOVE seam rippers & have tons. I just wish you could buy them with different width blades. I would like a thinner (narrower?) blade because I use a pretty small stitch when I sew.
    I prefer the Fons and Porter (yes, red and white). Fits my arthritic hand just great! The "grocery store" seam rippers are too skinny!!!!

The only solution to the seam ripper problem is to never make a mistake. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far yet, and I don't think I ever will. Edie
    Home is where the rags of your life are turned into quilts, lemons become lemonade and a few extra pounds are simply welcomed as "more of you to love."
    I am so confused. I don't know if I found a rope or lost my horse."

BELIEVE

Blog Entries
    Someone from a swap sent me a Clover and I love it!
    Krystyna
    Feel the fear and do it anyway!

I think mine came from walmart, had it so long I don't remember! Folks say they get dull, and I do use it a lot, but it still works great. In fact, I bought another one, but just never liked it, so I'm praying to never lose my original one!
    If a woman's work is never done....why start?

I use my small rotary cutter as my seam ripper and have never had any problems. I found that when I use a seam ripper I tend to poke the fabric way too much. I sometimes also use my little snips for seam ripping....and. Elieve me I have ripped a lot of seams. Most of my friends say they like the seam ripper that Bernina makes.

Blog Entries
    My favorite is one called combicut. I like it because the it is very thin and it slips under the stitches very easily and the ripper retracts so that on the other end are tweezers.. I found it at JoAnns years ago, but I am not sure they still carry them. When mine broke I went online and ordered about 3 of them so I would have them in case I could not find them again..

After sewing for many years and hating to use a seam ripper, especially the ones that came with my machines, I went shopping for one with a larger ergonomic handle and found the white Clover and fell in "love" with it, now "Jack the ripper". Then bought and F & P red and white one with a larger handle but found that I prefer the Clover as it is easier to get in between the fabrics when ripping a long seam, but does an excellent job. I believe mine were NEVER sharp, so made ripping very difficult. Now "Jack the Ripper" and I have become VERY friendly and work well together.
    Linda

I use my DH's mustache trimmer most of the time if I have a long seam to unsew. It's a lot faster than using a seam ripper. If it's just a few stitches, I use the first one I pick up.
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

I like my brown Clover seam rippers best.
    Mazda

Blog Entries
    I'm sure there's more types than we can buy LOL.

I've tried a lot over the years then decided to try Fons & Porter ripper. I really like it -- it's very sharp and has a good handle balance and comfort making ripping a little easier.

I also have one of those "knife" types that are extremely sharp. I've put holes in fabric and my fingers using this one so only use it now for cutting open button holes and magnetic snap prongs. It's a great ripper but oh so sharp.
    Life's More Fun with a Doxie !!
    ​Have a Great Day !
    Vicki G
    https://www.facebook.com/vickigdesigns
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VickiGDesigns

I love the Clover seam ripper with the white handle..it has a smaller blade that slips under the seam. I use this on cust quilts.
    I also use a regular razor blade...my Mom taught me how to use them when I was small. She never owned a seam ripper and this is how she was taught. I use the razor on my quilts.
    Pat, Lover of Art Deco and Applique
    www.BobbinKnobbins.com

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen View Post
    I use these, http://www.amazon.com/Havels-Snip-Ez...6674278&sr=8-3 I never have to worry about them getting dull and slipping and ripping a hole in my work. The point is tiny and will snip the tiniest of stitches.
    I love these also
    Mary

WOW! I did not expect to get this many responses on this topic and positive ones for the most part.

Now I will tell you why I asked about seam rippers. As a fiber artist I am experimenting with an art form called Layer, Design/Draw, Stitch, Slash, Embellish or LDSSE. To create our art we layer fiber, usually 4 layers thick, than design/draw, stitch it, than slash around each, than embellish where the stitches are using fibers of various sorts and various type stitches. The projects come out awesome. We slash the fabric layer by layer mostly using seam rippers. I am about to experiment using other tools as well to see the ragged effect it will give to each piece of art such as those various shape scissors they use in scrapbooking, and possibly box cutters, surgical rippers and such.

Since I enjoy creating one of a kind rag quilts or rag looking art work this technique is something that intriques me. To most fiber artists it is called Stitch and Slash but I find Layer,Design/Draw, Stitch, Slash, Embellish,ie., LDSSE, a better description since that is what we do.

One fiber artist recommends the smaller cheaper seam rippers that we get with our machines. She finds those last longer and are inexpensive to buy. She has used larger ones and even expensive ones but states she doesn't feel they last as long or work better than those cheap inexpensive ones we get with our machines.

I've been looking on eBay and there are tons of them on there and you can buy in bulk those cheap inexpensive ones which you can toss after a while if it wears out.

You can get an example of what I'm talking about by going to Crafsty.com and check out the Stitch and Slash class being taught there. It is rather easy enough to do but can be time comsuming if you do such a project from start to finish. I love it and reminds me so much of creating rag type projects. Difference is with LDSSE you see the fabric colors evolve as you work the project.
    cparant

Blog Entries
    Good morning Ladies,

As I am blind in one eye and can not see out of the other LOL I have found a very unique seam ripper. It has a magnifing glass and a lite so that I can see just what I am working on. It is made by mighty Bright and works like a dream. It can be found at mightbright.com and cost $9.99. It is sharp and really does the job.
    Gayle Van Nort

I have boxful, but always go for a teeny red one. It's small enough to fit under the shortest stitch. It's interesting to see that we all have our favorite but everyone needs one!

Quote Originally Posted by clsurz View Post
    Anyone know how many types/brands of seam rippers are out there? Which ones rip/cut better than others!
    The Fons and Porter seam ripper feels good in my hand and it's got a fine tooth which makes slipping under a stitch a lot easier--------------but they break so easily. I've got a Clover,now, and it's a thicker tooth, but it holds up. I've got arthritis so a good cushy grip is important to me
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

My preferred seam ripper is still a sharp, single edge razor blade. I've got several seam rippers of the more conventional kind and they all serve special purposes, e.g., when a seam needs to be "plucked," but for long straight seams, nothing beats that razor blade. froggintexas

.................. It is rather easy enough to do but can be time comsuming if you do such a project from start to finish. I love it and reminds me so much of creating rag type projects. Difference is with LDSSE you see the fabric colors evolve as you work the project.[/QUOTE]

Still to me, specially seeing how much you are cutting, a ripper with a comfy handle would be essential.
    Bad Spellers of the World
    U N T I E

I agree. The Clover w/white round handle is my go to ripper. Less wear & tear on my ole hands.

I Love the little flat folding Dritz, sells for under $4. and the blade is smaller, thus easier to get under small stitches.
    pat design

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast