Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Seam Rippers >

Seam Rippers

Seam Rippers

Old 05-12-2012, 02:50 AM

I use a very sharp and pointed pair of scissors. I clip every third or so stitch, turn over and pull the thread out it's so fast and no more cut fabric. I have found it to be less damaging on the fabric to do it this way.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:39 AM

Originally Posted by burchquilts View Post
I like the one from Fons & Porter the best (the one with the red & white handle). I happen to LOVE seam rippers & have tons. I just wish you could buy them with different width blades. I would like a thinner (narrower?) blade because I use a pretty small stitch when I sew.
I prefer the Fons and Porter (yes, red and white). Fits my arthritic hand just great! The "grocery store" seam rippers are too skinny!!!!

The only solution to the seam ripper problem is to never make a mistake. Unfortunately, I haven't gotten that far yet, and I don't think I ever will. Edie
Old 05-12-2012, 03:59 AM
Swap Hosts

Someone from a swap sent me a Clover and I love it!
Old 05-12-2012, 04:41 AM

I think mine came from walmart, had it so long I don't remember! Folks say they get dull, and I do use it a lot, but it still works great. In fact, I bought another one, but just never liked it, so I'm praying to never lose my original one!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:02 AM

I use my small rotary cutter as my seam ripper and have never had any problems. I found that when I use a seam ripper I tend to poke the fabric way too much. I sometimes also use my little snips for seam ripping....and. Elieve me I have ripped a lot of seams. Most of my friends say they like the seam ripper that Bernina makes.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:06 AM

My favorite is one called combicut. I like it because the it is very thin and it slips under the stitches very easily and the ripper retracts so that on the other end are tweezers.. I found it at JoAnns years ago, but I am not sure they still carry them. When mine broke I went online and ordered about 3 of them so I would have them in case I could not find them again..
Old 05-12-2012, 05:14 AM

After sewing for many years and hating to use a seam ripper, especially the ones that came with my machines, I went shopping for one with a larger ergonomic handle and found the white Clover and fell in "love" with it, now "Jack the ripper". Then bought and F & P red and white one with a larger handle but found that I prefer the Clover as it is easier to get in between the fabrics when ripping a long seam, but does an excellent job. I believe mine were NEVER sharp, so made ripping very difficult. Now "Jack the Ripper" and I have become VERY friendly and work well together.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:30 AM

I use my DH's mustache trimmer most of the time if I have a long seam to unsew. It's a lot faster than using a seam ripper. If it's just a few stitches, I use the first one I pick up.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:41 AM

I like my brown Clover seam rippers best.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:44 AM

I'm sure there's more types than we can buy LOL.

I've tried a lot over the years then decided to try Fons & Porter ripper. I really like it -- it's very sharp and has a good handle balance and comfort making ripping a little easier.

I also have one of those "knife" types that are extremely sharp. I've put holes in fabric and my fingers using this one so only use it now for cutting open button holes and magnetic snap prongs. It's a great ripper but oh so sharp.