Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
In search of constructive criticism >

In search of constructive criticism

In search of constructive criticism

Old 04-26-2018, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
Are you talking about a Bloc_Loc Ruler?

I just bought some of them -
Yes. Does it matter which way you line it up? I'm still not sure I understand how to use it.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by PamelaOry View Post
Yes. Does it matter which way you line it up? I'm still not sure I understand how to use it.
It does matter - there are several youtube videos on "how to use the bloc-loc rulers"

The bloc_loc site also has several how-to videos.

It did take me a little while to figure out how to use them - and now I am getting quite fond of them.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan
I found that my points were much better when I sewed them with the point pieced fabric on top.

Originally Posted by PamelaOry
What is the "point pieced fabric?

Answer: If you are sewing a piece with half square triangles to a plain rectangle, put the piece with the half square triangles on top. This is helpful, because you can see where seams intersect, and more easily see where exactly you should be sewing.

As for why fabric keeps pulling to the left for you, it may be due to right side feed dogs being able to grab onto no fabric or very little fabric. I think most sewing machines are designed for the wider seam allowances of garment sewing or other types of sewing, rather than the 1/4 inch seam allowance commonly used by quilters. Using a walking foot may help with this. I find using a physical guide helpful to keep the fabric feeding in straight and with a consistent seam allowance. I like using a small stack of post-it notes secured down with some packing tape. Some folks like using mole skin or mole foam (both are products intended to prevent blisters), and there are other strategies.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 PM
Power Poster

I find using a stiletto (something pointed like a very long toothpick or a long pin also works) to hold the fabric as it gets to the end while going under the presser foot.

This is one video that might be helpful -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhfpLuDA9yM
Old 04-26-2018, 06:47 PM

As most of us will tell you, we are our own worst critics.

That is a pretty block and I love your fabric choices. The corners of your blocks aren't perfect, that's true, but they are well done for a beginner. My half square triangles were so far off in my early quilts that I put one of them away for about 8 years before I worked up the courage to try to fix it. It's as fixed as it's ever going to be, and even though I could have quilted it myself, I asked a friend who quilts for $ to do it. It's much better looking than I ever thought it would be.

Yours will be, too!

As most of us will tell you, we are our own worst critics.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 PM

I think your quilt block is beautiful. My first bed-size quilt was a whole-cloth, embroidered quilt, so no fear there, right? Then the first pieced-block quilt I made was a Queen Size Plus which I made for a local U.S. Army Veteran who sustained serious injuries in Afghanistan. Surprisingly, I was not really terribly self-critical about that one but I knew the mistakes were there. Your quilt is really very good for a "first". Hopefully, I've improved my piecing, etc., but I know I'll never reach "perfection" -- that state just doesn't exist. I'm still a rank amateur, and I may always be!
Old 04-27-2018, 02:47 AM

I totally agree with NJ Quilter on the pinning to match points. This was the hardest thing for me to teach but once the quilters got the hang of it, everything went smoothly.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:00 AM

Aren't you glad you found this board? People here are so very helpful.

Your block looks great and quilting will hide some of the little imperfections as well.

Onwards and upwards!

Watson
Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 AM

What I do to help with the 'swinging' - and even the entire seam - since I use the edge of my presser foot as the guide for my seam with my needle set to the 1/4" setting - I run the index finger of my left hand ever so gently along the left edge of the presser foot while holding the fabric. That helps me keep things lined up and the seam straight.

Someone else mentioned a stiletto - which is also good for this purpose - but I find that having my hand on the fabric and finger against the presser foot gives me a bit more to hang onto and keep things lined up better.

Sometimes you do need that stiletto helper as well. I generally just use my seam ripper for those times (a chop stick or skewer works as well). I also like to use one to keep the little bits of the seam allowance properly flat/folded when going under the presser foot.
Old 04-27-2018, 03:11 AM

Years ago when I was learning to spin yarn from wool , my instructor told me to keep servers short pieces with knotted ends. This was so i could see and appreciate my progress. You block is lovely! Far better than my first quilt block or yarn:-). If you have enough fabric, save this block for a pillow. And the use the great suggestions to make more for a quilt. Your first block will have wonderful memories attached and you will be able to see your progress. No matter the craft, we all start as beginners. Relax and enjoy your new craft. Just have fun and keep trying.